Florida Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Landlocked
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Landlocked »

Hey Eric,
The check's in the mail.
Dean
Stephen Michael

Post by Stephen Michael »

Eric

What are logistics for next week? Can you give me a call.
Stephen
Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Eric Carson »

Looks like well get some chest high+ surf on Saturday. The forcast has improved since Friday. It'll be onshore, but that's a lot better than flat :D

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO
5 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING.

THURSDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

THURSDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

FRIDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.
tumak

Post by tumak »

Eric and crew: I should be around this weekend...sounds like a good time, and I'll be looking forward to it! May the Surf Gods bless us with happy times! -tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
Stephen Michael

Post by Stephen Michael »

With final plans coming together, open a slot at the pool....my brother will not be coming along. PLEASE let me know if we will be meeting at your place Saturday am, catching some waves and then heading for the evening session at the wave pool. Zac has grown quite a bit since you last saw him in Hatteras and is excited about surfing with "that Viking guy".
Stephen
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Thanks to everone for coming to the Florida gathering. A few guys couldn't make it for personal reasons, we caught some waves for you and hope to surf with you guys soon!
Saturday morning we surfed a break called Tables in Satellite Beach, but the conditions weren't very good. The day before, the wind came onshore at 15 mph and kicked up a small short period windswell. In attendance were; Dean Sellers aka Landlocked, Man-O-War and Luke Wessling, Andy Benzilla and Tumak aka Chris Hazarda and myself. It was rideable and Landlocked was able to get a few rides on his virgin Flashpoint.
For lunch chowed down at a really cool place called Da Kine Diego's, home of insane burritos. The hot topics during lunch were spoons and the next session that awaited us at Typhoon Lagoon.
Next we checked out our newest kb friendly surf shop, Ultimate Sports Warehouse. Owners Bill and Kelly hooked all of us up with free T-shirts. Man-O-War brought in his spoon and soon had everyone in the shop holding it and asking questions.
Orlando and Typhoon Lagoon here we come. Kneeman, aka Dan Bell, thanks for driving! Dan Elward, Stephen and Zack Michael met us there.
The waves were really fun with all of us hootin and hollerin. We started with 25 waves breaking in a split peak, so 2 guys got to go at a time. For the next 25, we chose rights, and for the final 50 we took the split peak again. Every wave was perfect and we all got the place wired fast. The waves are def. big enough to get some serious speed, but the inside section gets shallow fast. Several of us ground or fins and Dan Elward's Flashy received a nasty evulsion when he lost it in the cove area. We had 6 kneelos and 4 stand up surfers. Thanks to the USW shop guys, they brought a new Flashpoint for us to demo. Thanks to Michelena Elward for pulling video and camera duty. Pics coming soon.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Eric should be thanked for being the consummate host, and Anna too for welcoming us. FL laughed at us, but Eric had the last laugh at Typhoon Lagoon. His instincts were right on. They returned too exhausted to even type.

Dean (Land-Locked) showed he can ride, even almost nothing. I'd love to see him in his element, Newport, where his avatar is probably Locked-In.

Tumak, a standup who could ride a refrigerator door if he had to, became one of us on his converted balsa paipo and began to feel that Greenough fin. He is very stoked.

Andy was on the spoon. As we all drifted up the beach in the side-shore wind, we noticed he wasn't moving. He also got a taste of that UDT power and the ankle workout that goes with it. Then he drove off to Tampa with one of my booties. Give it back, or Eric doesn't get his coffee mug back.

I'm waiting for the Lagoon pics to get a look at Dan, Dan, Stephen and Zack.

We discussed holding the next Gathering in Sept., an epochal month for FL. We also talked about contacting our Puerto Rican brethren and inviting ourselves to their first Gathering, which we will call for them.

Thanks again Eric and crew!
Landlocked

Thank you!

Post by Landlocked »

A public thank you to the Florida guys for including me in the crew.
It was great to meet, and surf with you guys.
A special thanks to Eric and the Carson family for the hospitality.
Typhoon Lagoon was an inspired idea, and it sure was fun.
Dean