Florida Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Florida Gathering

Post by Eric Carson »

Last year's gathering was a success, and from the emails and phone calls I've been getting lately, it seems that it's going to be bigger this year.
Now for the surf.
Spring surf in Florida usually means consistent , clean surf. Nor'easters still go through, but they are often followed more closely by warm weather and westerly winds. Spring swell often follow a predictable pattern. The first two day of the swell are big and blown out. Then the swell continues but the wind decreases (what we had last year). Finally, on the fourth or fifth day, the winds turn offshore and the surf can be clean and lined up. Also the water will be warm enough to skin it for most people.
April 30th-May 1st.
Thanks,
Eric 321-728-5785
Last edited by Eric Carson on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davmo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Florida Gathering

Post by davmo »

Hi Eric,

Sounds like a good time. I don't know if I will be able to make it or not at this moment. I know that the April 9-10 would be hard for me to do. However the April 16-17 would be better since I am on my 5 day break from the FD.

So is this gatheirng in Melborne or elsewhere in Florida?

I would like to be able to make it to your Gathering but things are really changing here at the homefront. Right now I am buying a new home and moving from Norfolk to Virginia Beach. My wife is also pregnant and we are expecting a new baby boy sometime in June. (I am having to save a lot of my leave time for when the baby is born)

April might be a good time to get away for a weekend of warm spring surf.

I would love to hear more about this event. Who else is going to be there? Also how long does it take to drive from VB to where you guys will be having this gathering?

David Morris
willkirkdrive

FLA in spring time

Post by willkirkdrive »

Eric, I've got 2 other kneelos stranded here in the heart of Texas who will gladly make the trip. But we can't make it on either of those weekends. Any other weekends would work, how about the last weekend of April?

For anybody interested, Eric is a terrific and gracious host who has the place wired and doesn't mind sharing his beer and extra fins (I still feel bad about snapping one off last year!). If it is anything like last year, it would certainly be worth the effort to make this trip.

Davemo, I would drive down from Va. Beach to visit my folks in Jax and it was about a 10 hour drive, so I would guess you would looking at 12-13 hours to hit the central coast (unless the highway has been expanded form Emporia to Chesapeake). I hope you will be able to make it.
Man O' War

Good Times

Post by Man O' War »

Eric,
Count me in too. I remember the warm water, the cold MGD, and the good vibes last year. This year should be even better.

man o war
Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)

I'm there.....

Post by Stephen Michael »

Eric
Yes...I know I did not make it last year as the surf was really good here during that time....3-5+ and offshore.
Count me in this year,it's all about the brotherhood!

Stephen - Jacksonville " Superbowl " Florida
Stephen
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Looks like we'll be getting together the last week in April-same as last year.
Also, we might be adding a night sesh at Typhoon Lagoon in Orlando. It's a wave pool that is rented after hours for surfing. It's a fun wave with state of the art computer generated rights, lefts or split peaks and the cost breakdown is $100 per person, with a 10 person crew. If we don't have a 10 count, I have PLENTY of guys to fill the slots, but it would be cool to have an all kneelo crew. If I can get at least 5 guys to commit, I'll make the reservation.
Stephen Michael

Post by Stephen Michael »

Typhoon Lagoon is a blast. Please count me in Eric and let me know if I can help with the logistics.
Stephen
albert

Post by albert »

Yeah, Ive surfed Typhoon Lagoon quite a few times, it may not be the best wave but its always sooo much fun.
Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

So we're talking April 30- May 1?
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

I made the reservation for Typhoon Lagoon today. The cost is $1350 (Weekend rate) for 100 waves. We have the pool reserved for Saturday April 30th from 6pm until 9 pm. We can change the wave set up every 20 waves.
Slots are filling up fast, "Don't miss out". :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

If you guys go for the wave machine, you have GOT to get some video footage of that!
willkirkdrive

planning ahead

Post by willkirkdrive »

Eric,

How are things moving along? What did you find out about Disney? Are we still set for the weekend of April 29th or was it the week before? Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Looking forward to it.
albert

Post by albert »

a little trick with typhoon lagoon is that you tell them to leave the middle two doors open the entire time whenever the wave is either a left or a right... they will seldom do it and most assuredly will look at you weird but when I used to work there, there was this old engineer there that would always love experimenting with us on those things... I doubt he is there anymore but in the end we found that on the right especially it would peel for longer and it would almost bowl.

My advice is to do the split peak for the first 20 waves, then switch to the right, then keep the right for the rest of the night... the left is really not all that great (and shorter) and people will get pretty sick of the split peak pretty early.

my 0.02
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Typhoon Lagoon here we come :!: All 10 slots have been filled. :P
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Get waxed up guys!
Here's the line up for Typhoon Lagoon;
Dan Bell (went to Typhoon Lagoon 6 times last year).
Andy Benzilla (Absolutely kills it on his Blast quad...the guy to watch!).
Eric Carson (Stoked that we're getting together again)
Bill Cobb (He's going to kb this year! Also, giving away some cool stuff from his surf shop).
Dan Elward (Still living in a FEMA trailer in his driveway cause of the Hurricanes).
Landlocked(Coming from Texas with an empty boardbag and going home with a new Flashpoint).
Stephen Michael & crew from Jax Beach (Bring the stub vector and your posse has to try kb'ing!).
Wilkirkdrive(Coming from Texas with his new Blast quad).
Man-O-War is bringing up his newest spoon creation!! Tumak scored some solid head high swell a few days ago on his balsa spoon!
Let's hope the Atlantic cooperates and sends us a swell.
Contact me about payment for the wave pool.
Thanks,
Eric