HB/Newport gathering Saturday- August 20th

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jimputz »

Thanks Mark, Ler, and everyone involved for putting together the '05 RJ Gathering!! It was incredible to see so many Kb'ers paddlin' around in the same spot, droppin' in on the stand-ups :twisted: (and each other), and having fun-fun-fun!! Got to taste some yummy redtide bloom.........goes great with spicy dogs and burgers, got to see some incredible boards, and meet some extremely cool people. Looking forward to hangin' with all of you again soon!! Barry and Jack...........it was a pleasure watching you guys rip and shred! :shock: You too Brad !

Jimbo
MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Hb

Post by MWROBERTSON »

:D Everyone, thanks so much for attending this years HB/Newport Gathering!

I've been so busy, I wasn't sure if we could pull it off this year. With the help of my friends and all those that attented, it was a smashing sucess!

I'm convinced that it's a MUST for all of us each and every year. Not only was it great to see 46 KB'ers rippin it up, it was great to see so many families there too. I saw young kids in the shore break goin for it! Ed Dimmick couldn't get his kid out of the water he was having so much fun! The wives and girlfriends commented that it was a great day at the beach. They felt included when normally their guy was out early in the a.m. while she was home with the kids.

Based on a sign in sheet we had, we had close to 75 people there total. Some, had to leave early so it could have been more.

A special thanks to Barry Baker-worked on the swell and tides with me.
Greg Shewman-Always goin fo it on the BBQ-he cooked for everyone and draggged a beast of a BBQ across the sand.
Tom Backer-Did his magic on the 'Farthest Traveld" award, see photos, BEAUTIFUL!
LER-The HURLEY POP UP TENT and countless Hurley giveaways.
Bob Welch- Stellar work on the "Cleanest most Vintage Kneeboard" award Photos to come.
Darcy-Photos, tons of food and drink.
Joel Mayer-Photo man, can't wait to see them!
Wayne Koppitt-Massive Ice chest with water and drinks
Chuck Smith- Buns galore
Kava-Aleeda Giveaways
Dan Robertson-Folding Tables, Drawing announcer!
John Decure-Books for sale with proceeds going to KSUSA.
Robert O'Toole-More Simon DVD's for sale.
The Murphy family-Helped me carry all the boards back.

Sorry, If I misssed anyone. So many people showed up with food/drink and offerd a hand to carry, clean up or whatever.

Together we can move mountains. Let's do it agin next year! :wink:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Congrats SoCal Kneeboard Brothers and Sisters. I've seen the longboarders hold their get togethers and never thought that KBers would be able to pull it off.

49 KBers? Maybe were getting ready for a Guinness moment......how many KBers on one wave?

Great job, kids!
kbing since plywood days
ShaunMurphy

Post by ShaunMurphy »

Thanks Mark, and Ler for holding such a great gathering,
It was great seeing old faces and new. Thanks for the helpful tips as well :D. The food was awsome the waves were fun and the weather just got better and better. Hope to see all again at the next gathering or sooner.
peace and good waves
-Shaun 8)
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Thanks a million NP crew..You guys did a great job. Thanks to everyone that let me try their boards. Thanks
Also I have to clear the rumor that I was seen riding a 6' board. Is it my fault when I rode the KB poster girl`s board (the pink foam board) swelled when water was added ?? But a board that was fun to ride was Darcy`s old Romo.
Any , I had a great time and now you guys have made it tough on the O`side crew to top you. .....Thanks again guys
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Another great Gathering! Thanks to everyone who brought it together:
the Bros Robertson, "Ler the Hur" connection
Darcy our new poster child.... you'll see..and Joel- photos
Greg "Shewie"- Mr Meat at the 'barbie'
and all others that helped out
The high points for me were: seeing the families, the grooms kneeriding, all the boards new and old with the chance to ride anything your heart desired, the comraderie, and Big Tony (not only sighted but participating!)
Backer and I will be posting some candid photos and water shots in the next couple of days. PEACE Wayne K 8)
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks to Mark and the whole crew for a great time. You guys put on a first class event. I wish I could have brought the groms along and stayed for the whole day. Great to see everyone and share some waves.
Ler

R.J.'S

Post by Ler »

Thanks Mark and Danny. A great gathering, all you're hard work paid off. Thanks for doing it. It's funny at the Black's gathering I ate some the dogs, in Santa Cruz I don't think I ate at all, (plenty to drink) but at the Newport gathering it was all I can eat Tri-Top. F*ckin Orange County. Nice job Shewman. Maybe next year I'll paddle (scary thought) maybe I'll skip one more year. Kneelo at heart, though.

Ler
RW

Post by RW »

Sorry not to respond earlier.

Thanks for the hospitality HB/NP crew. Good seeing all the old faces together again. Now if the surf had shown up it would have nirvana. Rust never sleeps and that water made for some interesting colors in the pitching little waves. Did anyone get some of those lighting nuances? Really trippy water patterns. Who got a pic of the fish? I forgot what it looked like already.

Mark and Ler, thanks for the nice shades. Sorry to say in my absentmindedness I aparently left them under the awning. Hope a needy person found them.

Tom, thanks for the kind words. Your work is conceptually very astute. I dig that stuff. Wanna trade piece for piece sometime? Hope you got your suit. I asked around but no one knew whose it was.

Give me a heads up for the next specialty thing you want done. I'm real busy and could use some nice lead time. Glad to be a part of the process in my favorite manner and from now on...the only way.

See ya guys next year.

8)
shoulder huggin' chickens
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

any chance one of the group photos will be available? soon?....
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Joel just send the disc up. Don Harris will be downloading them to a special section soon. Stay tuned. :wink:
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

uh? still tuned :lol:
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

ey mark will there be another NB/HB gathering this year? let me know so i can get us some donations from the froghouse, aleeda, chuck dent, and WCC.
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Set a date. I'll be on/off Catalina all summer and may pop over for some KB fun.
kbing since plywood days
skansand

ligasf

Post by skansand »

surfhorn: have surfed ben weston???? the reef break behind catalina???...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon