HB/Newport gathering Saturday- August 20th

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Hb

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Guys,

The RJ's have been on fire the past few days! 4-6ft+ faces and reeling left 150 yards down the beach. Some were going top-to-bottom. I surfed it today with Barry, EQ and Sproky. I saw everyone get some insane rides!

Water temp is in the 65-67 degree area. Much colder yesterday. I wore a long sleeve spring suit today. I was a bit overheated though. Maybe because I was paddaling like hell!

The swell is supposed to back down some but I'm sure it will be fun on Saturday.

Don't forget, Awards for the farthest travelled Kber & the "coolest or most vintage Kneeboard. We of course will take a vote!. So bring your relics. 8)
wino
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by wino »

Greg and I are bringing Jack along as our relic. If you did'nt know one of his nicknames is the "Old Man".
nwdude
Local (More than 25 post)

gathering

Post by nwdude »

bummer - i will actually be in socal on sat, but get into ontario airport in eve - installing my daughter into 1st year at college ( pomona in clairmont ) - will be busy first part of week, but maybe able to get away the wed thru sat of the next week ( aug 24 - 27 ) - probably not for a surf, but would love to see / talk equipment - am most interested in longer boards in 6'2" to 6'4" range - am currently addicted to classic fish, but a blast 2k is something i'd like to see - love to even look at the newer aussie ( modern ? ) styles - am just passing thru this time, but now that i'm free of working, am planning a slow trip down coast sometime this coming year. ending in camper trip to tip of baja and back - hope to hit the my old stomping grounds of sc and san diego - love to meet some of you guys in person - e-mail me personally is maybe best - huntington/newport will be closest, but will be staying in riverside - am quite excited to become more a part of the tribe ( the exxtreme pacific nw is where i live - port angeles, wa ) - anyone passing thru is welcome to stay - my wife and i are empty nesters now, at least during the school year - hope the waves are good for your sat gathering !
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO GO OUT IN THE WATER WITH EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE EVER IN THE HB AREA.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN GOING OUT AT BROOKHURST JETTY ON FRIDAY PLEASE EMAIL ME KAVA@KAVACLUB.ORG
nwdude

oops

Post by nwdude »

space out - i haven't given my e-mail address ( a pm is probably easiest ) the e-mail is debeyfam@olympus.net - will bring my churchills and infamous hat ( made-in-the-shade ), but will have to rent wettie - size med/large - thanks for the replies already !
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

todays report

CURRENT CONDITIONS FOR HB PIER, NORTHSIDE - 8/19
SURF: 2-4 ft. - knee to shoulder high' fair
WATER SAFETY: Hazardous
New south swell peaking today. South facing beaches are seeing strong currents with good sized sets.
HB PIER, NORTHSIDE: 7:53AM
WIND: NNW @ 6.0kts
AIR/WATER: 62°-74°/64°-68°
SUNRISE/SET 6:17 AM/7:33 PM
08/19 3:54 am -1.30 ft low
08/19 10:13 am 4.66 ft high
08/19 3:23 pm 1.43 ft low
08/19 9:37 pm 7.00 ft high

SURF:
2-4 ft. - knee to shoulder high and fair conditions.

AM UPDATE: Swell has dropped some as waves go back in the waist to chest high range. Shape is still sectiony on sets but starting to see more workable lines. Expect better shape and less current as the swell continues to drop.
barry

RJ's

Post by barry »

Good Surf has been happening the last few days!
Nice to see some of the crew showing up and charging!
Barrells for all and some long lines also!
Waves should be fun on sat and I am sure everyone will have a good time!
I have to go to work in the afternoon but that still leaves time for 2/3 sessions and some grub :!: Hoping to see lots of you manana

P.S. I will be bringing some board bags for people to check out (if interested)
Barry
nesurfer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

can't wait

Post by nesurfer »

this is my first gathering looking forward to it.its going to feel weird surfing during the day i usualy surf at night. its been alot of fun last three nights.some 6' sets.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

mark - Steve at aleeda wetsuits in HB has made a donation of some merch for prizes for our gathering.(Thanks Steve!) i will hand it off to you when i see ya on saturday

MWROBERTSON

hb

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Thanks! that's really cool of you. Will the girl be modeling too? 8)
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

girl, fullsuit and board not included
ShaunMurphy

Post by ShaunMurphy »

darn lol. :wink:
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

Hey Barry?
Do your board bags come with anything in them or are they empty?? :lol:
Jimbo. 8)
barry

bags

Post by barry »

Hi jim
The bags are usually purchased empty but they could come with a new or used board in them :!: It just depends how much you would like to invest :wink: I will have a board at the beach that is for sale and you might even be able to get a bag to put it in :D See you in the morning
Barry
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

IM INTERESTED IN A BAG FOR MY 6'1" JUST DONT HAVE THE $$ NOW ANY CHANC I CAN ORDER ON-LINE?