Knee Board Surfing Japan Sept. '05 Gathering....

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

japanmike (atom boy)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Knee Board Surfing Japan Sept. '05 Gathering....

Post by japanmike (atom boy) »

KBSJ is having our second annual gathering on the 23rd, 24th, 25th of September. We are meeting at my place in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka. Any kneelos here in Japan or thinking about passing by around that time...definitely get in touch with me. We will try to set you up.

We are just getting things going here, so don't expect anything too crazy. Just a bunch of kneelos getting together to drink, surf and generally be silly.

Hope to see you here!

mike
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.
DavidS
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DavidS »

Anyone in Japan knows/sees former Japan KB champ "Jun Maekawa"?
He used to live in Osaka, but I think has since moved to Tokyo..
He goes to Indo, regulary, and in Japan likes to surf the river mouths on Shikoku Island (Kaifu, Niyodo)..

He surfed the ISA Worlds from '86 to '96....
hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

Jun

Post by hart »

David

I speak with Jun every so often (he is a fisherman now)

I just send him two newies and a couple for his mates

I'll suss his phone numbers and email for you if you want..

hart
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks Hart...
Jun is a great friend of mine...
Stayed in Japan with him, and hung out with him at the 94 & 96 Worlds.
He used to come to Hawaii every year then he stopped... Heard he closed his shop "Jun's Space" in Osaka and moved.. He was really trying to promote Kneeboarding in Japan, sponsoring guys and taking them on his surf trips...
japanmike (atom boy)

Jun

He's still going strong....
Living in Chiba now.
I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend...maybe I will bump into him?

Is this David who I met at Bud's place?? If so, hey it was great meeting you....you have another place to stay in Japan if you ever make it this way......

Bruce..do you mind if I PM you about meeting related stuff??

Thanks...mike
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.
japanmike (atom boy)

email..

I'm sure I have Maekawa's email around here somewhere..I'll search for it when I get back home..
hart

Jun

Post by hart »

David

Jun actually came to Australia to order his first boards from me many years ago now..quite a privilege and such a wonderful person

jun1957@wave.plala.or.jp

is where you'll find him

or

ph: 0407 44 1686

fx: 0407 44 0017

And have you met Ino Chun? Another stalwart Japanese kneeboarder :shock:

Atom Boy

Sure mate..

PM me anytime and I'm sure I'll get to answer

hart
strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by strudle »

Must be Mr Ino late 40's? 50? guy here in Miyazaki. IDon't know his first name as he is pretty aloof. I've surfed the same break with him on several occasions as he is my other kneeboard mates "sensei". Rides Flashies and catches a LOT of waves!
Hammer Slammer

Post by Hammer Slammer »

How did the gathering go?

Would have been amazing to go for any overseas kneelo's just happening to be passing through the area.

Maybe we should send group of aussie kneelo's over there for an exhibition :)

Wonder if it would get any local media coverage :shock:
japanmike (atom boy)

Pretty mellow....

Hammer..thanks for taking an interest!

Things are just starting up here..meeting wise...so it was pretty mellow. We also had a typhoon blow through right on top of the meeting days...could have kept a few folks away....

The good thing was that people got to get together...compare boards and share ideas. It also looks like we managed to drum up a bit more support for future meetings.....this is always helpful for me here in Japan. Sometimes the "system" can be a bit hard to comprehend......

Overseas kneelos are always welcome! I will be doing it again next year...probably same time, same place....please come.

Getting people over for an exhibition would be great..I have already milled this idea over a few times...but as I said before, we are still small and it is pretty difficult to get funding. If anyone can get here....I'm sure we could find people places to crash...given enough advanced warning. My place always has room.... 8)

Media coverage is definitely a posibility but only worthwhile if we have a significant number of people joining us. Local TV is pretty easy..some mags might also be interested.

Hammer....you coming next year?

mike
Hammer Slammer

Post by Hammer Slammer »

No worries,

Surfing in Japan, it just seems very exotic!

Very generous offer on your behalf, i'll just have to contact my sponsers and get them to organise the flights :)

If i was ever there for work, or passing by on a conecting trip i would definately be interested in checking out the local surf scene.

Good luck with any gatherings in the near future!

I've gotta go to PNG for work soon, would be good to hook up with a surf travel co at the end of the job, but lugging a board around could be a bit of a hassle.