Coopers Red Cup

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

I'll repeat last year's notification:

Four years and it starts to become a tradition.

come one, come all
Reds 4th Coopers Cup
Somewhere on PI
23rd November 2006
Couldn't have asked for better conditions than we had last year. Lefts and rights going orf, sun, offshore - and a ton of guys ripping it up. I think Steen even left the sanctuary of his van for a quick paddle!

A fair amount of beer was drunk. A little shared with the PI locals, who all of a sudden started to see kneeboarding in a whole new light. Even the local constabulary gave it the nod ("Just keep it mellow, boys").

Lots of good kneeboarding conversations and some new friendships - that's what it's all about (and then on to Lukey's illustrious opening evening at the Isle of Wight).

Disclaimer stuff: Little scared of encouraging people to compete because of the insurance and legal implications if a hothead runs over someone, so last year was a low key social gathering. I think this year's will be even more social.
red

Post by red »

10am high tide

4-6ft swell forecast

Light onshores

Early morning call - either Flynns, Woolamai or the Colonades. The strong-gutted is welcome to beer then or after and check out some of the boards that are happening.

Txt/Call me on 0428 264 898 to find out where the Coopers are.

Possibly an arvo session before the contest draw.

Dr Red
red

Post by red »

Thanks to everyone that dropped by.

After a morning touring the island looking for something suitable we settled on a 2-3' reefbreak just in front of the 2nd biggest tourist attraction in Australia (after Ayers Rock) - called Penguin Parade.

No penguins on show but there were a few rocks sticking out of the bottom of waves! A sociable surf was had by all - great to see Sam, Seabass and Chris out there while the venerable Gav Coleman and James McK set on the clifftop as self appointed judges.

Their verdict was that "the guy on the black board was ripping". Second shift took over in the water, including Albert Munoz and Cheyne Simpson. Several beers were consumed atop the cliff. Views were exchanged, new friends made, old aquaintances greeted, sunscreen applied liberally (not necessarily in that order!) and the gentle cooling breeze welcomed.

After the ice had melted, the last brews dredged from the bottom of the bucket and the conversation settled to a raucous mixture of laughs and ribbing it was maintained that "the guy on the black board" had held off the late challenge by the other two bratpack contenders.

Congratulations James "Pommie" Anderson a.k.a 'the guy on the black board" for taking out the 4th Coopers Cup
Pommie went on to make the quarters at the main event and to win his age group against a powerful field that included Albert and Cheyne. Pommie also makes great kneeboards with Shed Nine.

Sorry, Pommie, we drank your prize (but you did get to help!).

Red's Coopers Cup - no heats, no flags, no scoresheets - just red hot surfing and recognition by your peers.

Thanks to Jane for being forever cheerful amongst the crusty bunch of kneeboarders for an entire afternoon of dribble about kneeboarding.
To Aaron for the ice
To Irish for the help and hospitality
To Lukey for his support
To Stan for driving me home
(No thanks to Tim who said "You're still standing - you can drive!")
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

So, there is Another black board KBer. Maybe I should my color. I now have 7 black boards for sell... Only kidding
Now that sounds like a fun contest. The more you drink, the better everyone gets :lol:
Kev

Post by Kev »

yep, Pommie did have a good afternoon.
well done

I had a talk to him back up on the clifftop about that black board
very interesting and quite different to the usual suspects of Flash Parkes and Luke styles.
Stripped right back to basics and simplified.
It is a computer cut with an even area and thickness distribution tip to tail.
Overall quite thin as Pommie is a light-ish fellow.
The rail is mostly quite bland with only a sharper section right at the rear about the fins.
3 Fins and are relatively rearward 8" and ...16"(I think)
EDIT
actually they are 17 1/4 and a little less than 8 inch
with FCS K2.1 fins ... ( Pommie wants to try M7s soon )

and the bottom is flat ... as far as I can remember.
most interesting and what actually triggered the conversation was the idea of a flat board with only the nose and tail kicked up.
This board was exactly that and so is very quick all of the time.

perhaps we can get Pommie here to give a little more of the details ... or Red may know more than I.
red

Post by red »

The 4th (or is it 5th) Coopers Cup is on - 14th November. Come surf whatever you farkin like and let your lip bashes do the talking. No scoresheets, no wave counts, no prizes - just glory and good company. We drift around a bit and don't always get in the water at the crack of dawn - got to wait for optimal tide and for breakfast to settle! We try to leave signs and send text mails to say where we are. Otherwise just cruise the spots and you'll find us.

Last year's event started after lunch and the afternoon was spent surfing and watching guys rip up Penguin Parade. While the rest of the Island was windy and horrible, Centrecrack was fun 3' glorious sunshine, cooing breeze, lots of parking with a view of the break. Local knowledge.

The US groms got amongst it, but Pommie showed us all up with dynamic free surfing on his black board. Cheyne and Albert got special mentions and Phil Arthur, dark horse of the event, got into a training regime of just sucking down gallons of South Australia's finest energy drink - took him to the semis, so there must have been something good in it.

On the other hand, some of the "big" names who didn't show were surprise upsets relatively early in the PI Classic, proving that the Coopers Cup training program really does work.

As usual I'll have a few cases of fine Coopers red and green, but you might wish to bring one or two of your own.
Remember don't drink and drive (thanks Stan, for driving me home after last year's event)
albert

Post by albert »

I will be there Red!
red

Post by red »

Be good to see you and the other reprobates again, Albert.

Here's the forecast for Fri from Swellnet:
Fri: Tricky outlook due to an uncertain wind pattern, but onshore SW winds are the most likely scenario at this stage. Easing groundswell in the 4-5ft range at open beaches with a small percentage of windswell in the mix. Late increase in new S/SW swell a possibility, but Sat is a safer chance.

High tide of 1.23 at 11.44am, so we'll be looking at Flynns at noon if there's enough swell, maybe do a loop past Penguin Parade at 2pm if there's swell. Kitties probably won't be hapenning (except for those who are micro-wave inclined), otherwise beaches on the high (don't know if therre's banks, but).
red

Post by red »

Despite a stong onshore, overcast day and average conditions, a bunch of keen kneeboarders showed up at Woolamai 2nd carpark for a gathering.
It was great to see all the interstate guys and less local Victorian kneeriders pulling up, getting out, checking the surf and greeting old friends. It was a mite too chilly for anyone to sample the cold beers at 10am, but Budgie and Mark started the ball rolling by paddling out to a reform left hander in front of the car park.
Soon the water was a frothing mass of kneeboarders. The surf actually turned out quite fun with some smackable sections. After a couple of hours of surfing, guys stood on the dunes, drank beers and discussed the water action and the prospects for the next day. I gathered input about who ripped in the free session.

Honourable mentions went to Albert Munoz, Stan Kofoed, Pommie Anderson, Matt Galagher, Simon Farrer and Greg Budgeon. Mark (MJ) was lauded for getting more waves than anyone else and for sticking to his strategy of looking for the outside sets rather than riding the reforms. But I couldn't get an answer.on a definitive winner (except a standup surfer who went out there at the end of the session and fluked a sensational standup barrel)

It seemed that Simon was going to take it because of his superior wave selection and high speed performance surfing, but I decided to rest on the decision for a couple of days and a few more beers.

More information was gathered over the next 2 days and a popular decision was reached on Sunday night.
The winner of the 5th annual Coopers Red Cup is Matt Galagher.

Matt went out on 3 different boards and ripped on all of them, but the clincher was that he went out on a 30 year old single fin slab and outsurfed almost everyone in the water - and appeared to have way more fun than anyone else. He pulled off some awsome moves (for any board, ever mind something from the early ages) and truly impressed.

Congratulations Matty - the people's award is yours.

Special thanks to Jim for his support - nice that you had the time to drop by.

With the Phillip Island comp potentially moving to 3 days, the format of the Coopers Cup may have to change. I'm interested in feedback on what you think should happen.
red

Post by red »

Here's the state of play for Coopers Red Cup V1 2009

Simple - massed attack on the water, watch what goes on from the water, report results, drink Coopers, go to the PI draw at Turtles'.

Welcome aboard to Gary Finger, long time CC attendee and kneeboarding supporter par excellence, who's going to co-host the event this year.

It's on. We'll hit the water on the Friday of the PI contest and then have a couple of beers (Coopers Red of course!, but we have broadened the selection a bit to Green and light (2.9% alc!)) afterward when we can nominate the 4-6 standout surfers of the session and the ultimate winner.

Forecast: Fri: Wind-affected 3-4ft surf on the open beaches. Moderate to fresh NW winds may shift SW'ly during the day.

PS: meeting place Woolamai bottom car park around 11am. Look for signs taped up saying where we might have moved. Hight tide is a big one at 2pm or so. Flynns or other beachies may be options - all depends on conditions. Bring snacks to soak up the beer.
Kev

Post by Kev »

so that's

6ft+ boards
flippers
and
webbed gloves

check
8)
ss54
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Coopers

Post by ss54 »

hey Red,
Interesting how Coopers have a large fan base in the Surfing Community.

My drink of choice is the Coopers Premium Lager.Its a green label(a darker

Green than the Pale Ale).I absolutely LUV the gear,it gives you MINIMAL

H/O's,& is a beer that never tastes "watery",like SO MANY of other popular beers do after having had a few,& a great after-taste,to boot

Its often necessary to get your local pub/bottle shop to order it in for you,but if you do come across it,as the saying goes,"do yourself a favour!"

(Dark Green Coopers Label)

P.S,just talked myself into cracking 1 now (11.40am)!
Flex-It's all about "how it feels"
Kev

Post by Kev »

???

are we doing this again this year ??
red

Post by red »

Hi
Giving it a miss after 5 years. Time for a "do it yourself" event.
Regards
Red
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

I prefer coopers clear