PR Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

Hi Quadfin,

Gerald and Sabine might be Belgian, I only took my sister's word for them being German and she spent her time down there in something of a haze. Gerald is a great big guy, blonde hair ( in 1992 ) and Sabine is dark haired. Nice folks. Quiet, as I recall - their Panamanian style fish was superb.

February should be nice - midway through the dry season ( summer), weather warm but not too humid and pleasant working temperatures.

It's funny, the west...no, south side of the island has much cooler water than the other side. I think it has to do with the channels and currents. Watch outfor the little jellies floating around with the fish, they can sting. Benadryl fixes it, though. Pick some up from the medico on the island.

And then there is the Duty Free shop just about 200 yards from the airport, where all sorts of good stuff can be found. The Bacardi they make in Panama is quite good, as is the amber Ron Viejo(?) that's also a domestic product.

Anyhow- hope that helps some, don't hesitate to drop me a line if there's anything I can do

doc...
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

I wanna go

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I would be interested in going from March 13-20. Anyone need a roomy? I can rent a car. :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Frank Cole
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Puerto Rico Gathering

Post by Frank Cole »

Just saw this after my recent post, duh! Anyway, I'm interested could do February or March. What's the word? Thanks!
NIUHI GRIPS

PR GATHERING

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

ALOHA,
A PR GATHERING WILL BE GREAT :!: WITH GOOD PLANNING....
-DATES
-LODGING (GROUP RATES)
-CAR RENTALS (GROUP RATES)
-MAYBE AN INVITATIONAL EXPRESSION SESSION IN ONE OF THE MANY CONTESTS HELD DURING WINTER/SPRING MONTHS.
IT COULD TURN OUT GREAT!!!

ANYWAYS...
I'M PLANNING TO GO ON THE LAST WEEK OF MARCH & PROBABLY STAY FOR A MONTH.
AS LODGING OPTIONS....
DARIOS GUEST HOUSE HAS THE BEST RATE. IT IS LOCATED JUST FEW MINUTES DRIVE TO JOBOS BEACH OR RAMEY BASE (WILDERNESS BEACH & SURFER'S BEACH) & 1/2" HOUR DRIVE TO RINCON.

CALL HIM UP TO GET RATES...
# IS 787.890.6143

L8RS,
ED
Frank Cole

PR Gathering

Post by Frank Cole »

Hey Ed--
I don' know if I can do it that late, but thanks for the info. I've never surfed PR. How far are the places you're talking 'bout from San Jose? I'm trying to consolidate a surf trip with a business trip and I'm probably gonna have to be in San Jose a day or two. Also, I will probably bring my wife. Among her other attributes, she videos! Are there some nice casual places to stay my wife would enjoy? Nothing super high end, but nice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Frank
quadfin

Re: PR Gathering

Post by quadfin »

Frank Cole wrote:Hey Ed--
I don' know if I can do it that late, but thanks for the info. I've never surfed PR. How far are the places you're talking 'bout from San Jose? I'm trying to consolidate a surf trip with a business trip and I'm probably gonna have to be in San Jose a day or two. Also, I will probably bring my wife. Among her other attributes, she videos! Are there some nice casual places to stay my wife would enjoy? Nothing super high end, but nice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Frank
Frank...San Juan is about 2 hour drive depending on time of day and traffic. There are all kind of accomodations along the coast of all different types. The Ramey/Aguadilla area is a good central location and a little closer to San Juan. I like the Rincon area with less traffic and more laid back. You can find just about anything by going to Google. Check Surfrider site as well for discounts. Here is a link for the Rincon area:

http://www.rinconpr.com/

I too am going to combine a business/surf trip. I can't really coordinate things from here and have been wishing one of the Ricans would step forward to host. I will offer a website as a message Center if that helps. Suggest a list of names that are going posted on the site would be a good start with dates they can be on-island. I too would like to have an expression session but will need help from the locals.
Surf Hard Live Slow
NIUHI GRIPS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

HEY QUADFIN.....

YOU ARE RIGHT ON!!!

DARIOS GUESTHOUSE IS MORE FOR THE BUDGET TRAVELER.
$350 /WK FOR A (2) ROOM APARTMENT, SLEEPS 4.

EXPRESSION SESSION???
WE CAN START ORGANIZING SOMETHING FOR NEXT YEAR.

A HUI HOU!
ED
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Surf Hard Live Slow
rodndtube
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by rodndtube »

Frank Cole wrote:Hey Ed--
Frank
My guess is that San Jose is somewhere south of San Juan, "suburban/urban San Juan." A hotel in Isla Verde/Condado would probably be better for your wife while you are at work.

In the Rincon area I can recommend several villas that should meet your needs. Rates will probably range in the $90-$140 range...

Just south of Rincón, all on the beach (what is left of it)
- Villa Cofresí Hotel & Restaurant (where we always stay)
- Villa Antonio's (next door to Cofresí, not as many amenities)
- Rincón del Mar Beach Resort [pricy, next one up)

On the beach in Punta Higuera with bar/lounge attached, surf out front conditions permitting (Antonio's, Parking Lot, Pools, Sandy Beach all a short walk):
- Beside The Pointe - Rincón, Puerto Rico

Up in the hills overlooking Rincon (need a car to the beaches)
- The Vista (kinda pricy for what you get)
- The Lazy Parrot - Inn and Dining (they can have some great food on premises, nice set-up, next to good bakery)

Find links to many or most via my page:
http://www.rodndtube.com/_links/PR_SurfNTravel.shtml

When are you going?
rodndtube

Post by rodndtube »

The annual family trip over Christmas to Rincon had to be canceled last month. We have rescheduled for mid-February. Anyone going to be in the neighborhood?
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

rodndtube wrote:
Frank Cole wrote:Find links to many or most via my page:
http://www.rodndtube.com/_links/PR_SurfNTravel.shtml
Think you need a few more links R@T. Cool Surfgirls PR and Ministry of Rum links.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Frank Cole

PR Gathering

Post by Frank Cole »

Thanks for the info, Rod. My dates are somewhat flexible right now, but I'm trying to get things set up by the end of this week. It will probably be one of the last weeks in February. It will just be my wife and I. We'd like to be in a nice place on the beach, not necessarily a "resort." We're not really in to that. Just someplace nice, private and with some decent dining options nearby. From what I now understand, it would be easier for me to schedule my appointments in San Juan. So, anything within an hour or so West of San Juan would be fine. I can probably get my business done in one whole day or two partial days, so I'd plan to get in the water almost everyday. Looking at being there 4 to 5 days total. Coming in on a Saturday and leaving on a Wed or Thurs. Don't know ANYTHING about the breaks in that area, but don't want to battle a bunch of folks. I'd settle for a smaller wave with fewer people out. It'd be great to hook up with someone who knows the drill.
rodndtube

Post by rodndtube »

The breaks west of San Juan towards Arecibo are not my "territory," but yes, there is some surf. My guess is that places to stay are slim pickings just one hour away and the morning traffic would kill you anyway. The main breaks in San Juan are in Old San Juan (La Ocho) and near the airport. There are other places in-between, e.g., in Condado. Personally, I don't care much for the San Juan area (too much crime and traffic).

You might be able to find a decent rate in Isla Verde at the ESJ or one of the other hotels in the cluster. Out front is a beach break called Pine Grove. A further paddle out is a reef island with waves we used to ride. To the east are several breaks (e.g., Chatarra and Aviones) that can draw a crowd and plenty of car break-ins. However, Chatarra is one HOT left.

Rincon is more mellow but it is closer to 3 hours from SJ even though people will say 2 hrs. Worth a couple of days out there.

Frencho lives in-between Arecibo and San Juan... maybe he or others can provide some expertise on that area... there is some good surf.
Frank Cole

PR Gathering

Post by Frank Cole »

That's helpful. I think I'd rather be further out an just dedicate one entire day to business. I want to try to experience the best PR has to offer while I'm there. Have you narrowed time frames or settled on accomodations? I'm still kinda flexible, but need to get something set soon. If you want, you can e-mail me directly at fcole@colestone.com. Thanks.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.