PR Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

frencho
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by frencho »

Beeline:

This page should give you an idea of what the surf is like for the months you are talking about: http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps ... .cfm?id=40

You can encounter from ankle slappers to 20ft waves. It all depends on what you want. October to April is the islands prime season for surf.
frencho

Post by frencho »

Fall
Time to get your quiver ready. Steady North Atlantic storms start kicking into gear in late September; the superdeep Puerto Rican trench amplifies the resulting north swells, which brings consistent -- not giant -- surf to the North Shore of the Atlantic. Plus, the possibility of a solid hurricane swell, also exists -- Hurricanes Fabian and Isabel in September '03 brought giant, perfect surf to a few select spots on PR's north and northwest coasts. The water temp is still in the low 80s, the sun's out and the east tradewinds cool everything down a bit. Not a bad time to visit.

Winter
This is when surfers from all over the world (though mainly East Coasters) make their pilgrimage to the juice. November through February sees a near constant string of low-pressure systems off the Eastern Seaboard, most of which generate some kind of surf for PR -- some of it quite large, too. You can honestly expect a few 20-foot plus days per winter here. Unlike the East Coast, much of the swell PR receives is long interval groundswell, as the storms are far away; couple that with an abundance of reefs, points and beaches, and you've got the makings of a surf paradise. Of course it's not all perfect crystalline shacks: it can go flat for a week or more at a time (though if you're smart and use LOLA, you should be able to safely avoid those times); everybody and their brother is also here, looking for the same thing as you; and it can pour rain for days at a time, making for some nasty runoff at urban and rivermouth breaks. Still, you can't beat getting shacked in boardshorts in January and then sauntering over to the outdoor bar for a pina colada. Water temps are in the mid-70s to low 80s.

Spring
This can be a time for the beloved vientos alisios (offshore winds). It's a time of transition, and while swells aren't as bomber as wintertime, they can be reasonably consistent and fun, in the shoulder- to head-high zone. It's one of the most beautiful times to visit as there's fruit literally dripping from the trees, the forests are super lush after winter rains and the water is crystal clear. Plus, winter's crowds have gone home and summer's haven't arrived yet. A special time. Water temps are in the high-70s.
chasinglefts

Post by chasinglefts »

Anyone looking for a spot in Rincon may want to check www.casadeplayaporfin.com
The house is owned by a friend's parents. The house is sick, pool, jacuzzi, but most importantly it is oceanfront @ Dogman's, with Maria's, Pistons, Tres Palmas, and Little 'bu within walking distance. The upstairs apartment is a bit expensive but worth every penny. and for the feral minded amongst us there is a vacant oceanfront lot next door where you would not be bothered if you wanted to set up camp.
I stayed there for a week in august, only got one day of surf at Middles up north, but still had a great trip. lots of rock climbing/diving spots within a short hike from the house.
NIUHI GRIPS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

BOOKED MY FLIGHT TO PUERTO RICO!!!
I'LL STAY FROM MARCH 22nd TO APRIL 18th.
I'M STOKED!!
Frank Cole
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

PR Gathering

Post by Frank Cole »

You Dog! I'm gonna be there in Feb. ,but only for 4 or 5 days. Just caught some fun stuff here this morning before heading in to work. 60 Degree water, not bad, but lookin' forward to baggies and a rashguard again. Where are you staying, planning to surf? Have a great trip.
Frank
NIUHI GRIPS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

I'LL BE STAYING WITH MY MOM IN SAN JUAN, BUT I'LL BE GOING BACK & FORTH TO ISABELA TO STAY WITH MY FRIENDS. I DID SCORED ONE BEACH HOUSE WALKING DISTANCE FROM JOBOS BEACH.

JUST SURF & HANG OUT WITH MY HOME BOYS.... FRENCHO, IVAN & MY SOUL BROTHER AMILCAR.

I'M SOOOOO....
LOOKING FOWARD TO SURF AVIONES, JOBOS & LA PERLA!

L8RS,
ED