PR Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

joe wrote:Approximate pricing from airline web sites for flights from SoCal to San Juan in March 2006. JetBlue pricing for Jan 2006 (can't book flight later than that on-line). Links to baggage policies included.

JetBlue From San Diego to San Juan
$349/each way + $25/board
No baggage policy on web site
Joe, you are correct on the one way fare for Jet Blue. I missed that it was one way on my original check.
Surf Hard Live Slow
stemple

Post by stemple »

southwest flys into Ft. Lauderdale then american flys to san juan. Both flights together cost about 50 bucks more than jet blue. You could by a round trip frequent flyer ticket on craig's list for southwest ($300 is the ypical going price) and save about $100.

If you fly southwest regularly you could use frequent flyer miles the pay for the flight from florida to San Juan at about $280 round trip.

Basically to get to PR its going to cost you at least $650 plus board from california.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Darcy's timeframe of March 10-20 2006 seems to be the only one standing so far and works for me. The 10th is a Friday and the 20th a Monday. Had a response from Holly of Rincon and she suggests going to the www.rinconpr.com site for information on lodging in the area. Unless Ivan or one of the other guys have an alternative I will start making plans for the Rincon area arriving Friday the 10th and leaving Monday the 20th. Will post meeting places if everyone is in agreement.

Checking on the Lighthouse Park at Domes to make sure it is not rented during that period. It is public but can be tied up for other events. Surf out front of the park, good camera platform, facilities and refreshments right there. Should be a good place for a Gathering.

Are any photogs coming for the trip?
Surf Hard Live Slow
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

I will be bringing my digital photo gear, and you can count on daily pictures!

I'd like to see of those going who is willing to share accomodations? A condo or house would be cool if we can coordinate it. This is probably the biggest expense and the one I'm willing to spend the least on. All I need is a safe place to lay my head with a shower and toilet. The less I have to spend for lodging, the longer I can afford to stay. Hey, I could do the "Ivan" and set up a tent in Ivan's backyard! :P
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

If you're going in March you should stay in Aguadilla or Isabela. There will be a lot of one day swells late winter and will save you the 45 minute drive from Rincon. The north coast picks up swell much easier than Rincon.
Middles (in Isabella) is a spot you should get to as early as possible to avoid the wind and the crowd. The waves on the north coast are generally hollower than those on around the corner (table tops, pressure point, wishing wells and of course gas excluded).
Mike Shand has some rentals at Shacks in Jobos called Villa Tropical. If you can't find his number try calling him at Inter American University. I also heard that some condos have been built there at Shacks since I moved away, not sure if they're vacation rentals or not.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Was planning on reserving a larger place and offer for share Darcy. We stayed in a Beach House last March in the Rincon area with two bedrooms with queen beds down and a studio apartment up with twin beds and separate entrance. We had 7 friendly adults (and I use that term loosely) and 5 kids crammed into the place. I am a single Dad and drag my 13 year old surf photographer daughter with me to PR. It is the nearest mall to us and I make her take photos for mall goodies. So right now it will be just us for the house if we go that way.

Google...I don't know the Aguadilla/Isabella area well and know it catches more of the North but also know that it is more crowded. The Guesthouses at Ramey in Aguadilla have some 4 bedroom places and there are all kind of Guesthouses/Hotels around the area..I just don't know them. Rincon is more of a laid back, no traffic surf town and also usually cleaner than up North. Marias, Domes, and Tres Palmas are all in the Rincon area. But all these areas are 30 minutes to an hour drive from each other depending on traffic..which can be bad in Aguadilla and especially Isabella.

I have enquired into the Beach House availibilty in Rincon but have not booked. Ivan, Chief, somebody..let us know if you guys have someplace for us further North. Important is that we need a central Gathering Spot in the evenings.
Surf Hard Live Slow
rodndtube
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by rodndtube »

You can list me as a tentative... but fair warning, I'd be riding my paipo.

There are some links to housing at this site:
http://www.rodndtube.com/_links/PR_SurfNTravel.shtml

The comments on swell being more consistent along the N/NW coast during March are correct, but the trade winds are also likely to hit late morning.

The Rincon area is likely to get a swell or two during a 10-day March period and the prevailing winds are more favorable throughout the day. Staying up north or down in Rincon is a crap shoot either way. I always stay in a villa just south of Rincon, but I'm an old dog that would be hard pressed to break old habits ;) Nonetheless, I did stay with two amigos at a beach front house in Punta Higueras two years ago Feb. There are several houses in that area within an easy walk to the beach as well as several villas/hotels that could accomodate groups.
doc

Post by doc »

For what it's worth, the other day I was getting set up to do a site for a buddy of mine, additional pix and so on for the house listed at http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation ... 10312.html - so far March 2006 is open.

The owner is a longboarder, but he's an OK guy none the less. He's kinda psyched about the idea of a bunch of kneelos wandering in. And the ad does mention a nearby rum factory. I think I know Rod's apres-surf plans. .

This might be kinda fun.

doc....
DarcyM

Rincon Casa Palmas Beach House

Post by DarcyM »

wow! That sounds great and lovely pictures too. How many people are up for this? Sign me up and lets get together and try to get this baby rolling!
8)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
doc

Post by doc »

I especially like that there are towels supplied.......
rodndtube

Post by rodndtube »

doc wrote:For what it's worth, the other day I was getting set up to do a site for a buddy of mine, additional pix and so on for the house listed at http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation ... 10312.html - so far March 2006 is open.

The owner is a longboarder, but he's an OK guy none the less. He's kinda psyched about the idea of a bunch of kneelos wandering in. And the ad does mention a nearby rum factory. I think I know Rod's apres-surf plans. .

This might be kinda fun.

doc....
The location is good, the rates seem decent enough if we have 6 to 8 people staying for the week. It's not clear what side of the road the house is on, ocean side or hillside... a long walk to Maria's Beach, but Tres Palmas and a few others are close by.

The rum factory is in Arecibo or Ponce... a little far either way unless we are checking some special breaks in the Arecibo area because of lukewarm conditions around Rincon ;) But really, Doc, the GOOD rum factory is closer to San Juan and it is NOT Bacardi.
doc

Post by doc »

The rum factory is in Arecibo or Ponce... a little far either way unless we are checking some special breaks in the Arecibo area because of lukewarm conditions around Rincon But really, Doc, the GOOD rum factory is closer to San Juan and it is NOT Bacardi.
As you and I know, Rodrigo.... there is no bad rum, just adequate and up..... and one of my website customers is coming back from Haiti this week.

Life is good

doc...
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

doc wrote:
The rum factory is in Arecibo or Ponce... a little far either way unless we are checking some special breaks in the Arecibo area because of lukewarm conditions around Rincon But really, Doc, the GOOD rum factory is closer to San Juan and it is NOT Bacardi.
As you and I know, Rodrigo.... there is no bad rum, just adequate and up..... and one of my website customers is coming back from Haiti this week.

Life is good

doc...
Mount Gay Extra Old. $8.00 with no tax at my local store. Dangerous....

Et al...will be taking down my website to do some real bizness soon..but will be in PR in March. Will follow this thread and email me if anyone wants to share accomodations.
Surf Hard Live Slow