PR Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

joe wrote:There's no info on the JetBlue web site, but rodndtube has done some research and posted info on his web site. According to Rod it's $25/board each way.

http://www.rodndtube.com/surf/info/Airl ... rges.shtml
That's the best deal going if that is current info. JetBlue responded to my email saying they would have to get back to me due to being slammed by emails. I will be paying $80 each way from St. Maarten on American. My airfare from this rock 200 miles away from PR will also be more than the JetBlue fare from Cali.
Surf Hard Live Slow
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Scott MacDonald wrote:That's a great price! Jeez, that makes it cheaper for a Puerto Rico trip
from Cali than a trip to Hawaii!!! 8)
I've gotta say that Frencho's pics have really been an eye opener. He has
been the cause of some serious wave envy, plus WARM WATER! :D
BTYW: Just solo for me, no guests.

A big thanks in advance to you guys!

Scott
Scott...
I will post some pictures on my website of PR this March as soon as I can.

Ivan...
Are you planning on being back in PR from Hawaii Mid March?

Chief...
Any word from your Surf Shop guy in PR? Does he want a comp? Was assuming that we would just do a Gathering with flexible sites for surf and so as not to wear out our welcome in any one place. Thought we would reserve a beach park for a couple of get togethers and he could show up then. Is he in San Juan..west or east? If you want to contact me privately my email is:

quadfin@saltmasters.com

frencho...
Are you going to be able to make it?

Still haven't heard from Jet Blue. Someone may want to contact them by phone in Cali and post results.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Jack Beresford

Si!

Post by Jack Beresford »

Yes, I'd be interested - especially if there's any family-friendly accomodations on the north shore.
Jack Beresford
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I will use the following website to post info about the gathering. Have listed some links I had handy but would appreciate any input, especially on accomodations. You will see that I am not a webguy from the site and have not checked all links. Let me know if there are any problems. Pictures are from this March in the Rincon area. We had 3' or better for two weeks.

www.ecd.bz

Jack,

The Rincon area is very family friendly and I had 5 kids in a beach house with no problems. Shopping is 20 minutes away from Rincon at Mayaguez and has most of the Mainland chainstores. Aguadilla is also a large town and has all the Mainland anemities as well. The old Ramey Air Base is now Guest Houses and has a golf course there as well. Aguadilla airport is the old Ramey runway. Wildos is right down the road from Ramey and Crashboats and other spots nearby. Isabella is closer to San Juan and Jobos but you will have to fight traffic thru Isabella and Aguadilla to get to a Rincon swell.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Iñigo
Local (More than 25 post)

???

Post by Iñigo »

Let me investigate how I could do it from Spain, It would be a pleasure to meet the PR again, Dillian, Ivan Camello and Darcy Jack......
Many things to negotiate (With bank and wife)
I will try it
quadfin

Re: ???

Post by quadfin »

IÑIGO wrote:Let me investigate how I could do it from Spain, It would be a pleasure to meet the PR again, Dillian, Ivan Camello and Darcy Jack......
Many things to negotiate (With bank and wife)
I will try it
There are several flights from Madrid thru the USA mainland to PR. US Air, Continental and Delta all have one stops. US was showing a fare of a little over $600 for a stop in Philly, but 16 hours of travelling. Air France from Paris and KLM from Amsterdam both have non stops into St. Maarten (SXM) at about 9 hours travelling and American, Caribbean Sun, and Liat all have commuters into San Juan.

Also, check out flights into St. Kitts and Antigua from London and then commuters into San Juan. All about 1 hour flights or less from these islands. There are some charter outfits out of London to the British Isles that offer some cut rate prices. Will do some research on these and post on www.ecd.bz
Surf Hard Live Slow
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivandill

group acomodation

Post by ivandill »

Let see if there people interested in group acomodation.I think we could rent a house or aparment for a good price in ,Rincon, Aguadilla ,Aguada or Isabela.ILL be doing that homework soon. Also would check prices for hotel and guesthouses in the area,and post soon.
Inigo ill be great if youcan come.

IVAN
VANCHEE
quadfin

Re: group acomodation

Post by quadfin »

ivandill wrote:Let see if there people interested in group acomodation.I think we could rent a house or aparment for a good price in ,Rincon, Aguadilla ,Aguada or Isabela.ILL be doing that homework soon. Also would check prices for hotel and guesthouses in the area,and post soon.
Inigo ill be great if youcan come.

IVAN
Ivan,

We had 12 in a beach house/studio outside Rincon. The owners are surfers who also have Inn and Cafe in town. Will check with them to see what deal they can make for us. There is a Cantina next door to the Inn that would make good evening Gathering place. Will let you know.

Do you guys want to shoot for the middle of March? Think we want to do this before Easter.
Surf Hard Live Slow
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

my birthday is March 15 ... that's a good enough excuse for me to get out of town! :lol:

Mid March is good. I don't think we should worry too much about conflicting with the North Shore Gathering '06. I don't think too many people (except those young, rich, homeless guys) will be going to both!

Looking at the March calendar, we could have an open call for Friday March 10 through Friday, March 31. That includes three weekends and room for mid-week flight deals either way.

Although, if you narrow the dates down, then the locals aren't as impacted by people scattered all over(incoming, outgoing, etc). Just a thought. I like the idea that went down at the NSG of keeping it open for people to come and stay as long or as little as they want, as long as the accomodations pan out and there are enough people there at any one time to keep the cost of lodging reasonable. However, if everyone's there at the same time then we will have a more cohesive "gathering" vibe.

8)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

DarcyM wrote:my birthday is March 15 ... that's a good enough excuse for me to get out of town! :lol:

Mid March is good. I don't think we should worry too much about conflicting with the North Shore Gathering '06. I don't think too many people (except those young, rich, homeless guys) will be going to both!

Looking at the March calendar, we could have an open call for Friday March 10 through Friday, March 31. That includes three weekends and room for mid-week flight deals either way.

Although, if you narrow the dates down, then the locals aren't as impacted by people scattered all over(incoming, outgoing, etc). Just a thought. I like the idea that went down at the NSG of keeping it open for people to come and stay as long or as little as they want, as long as the accomodations pan out and there are enough people there at any one time to keep the cost of lodging reasonable. However, if everyone's there at the same time then we will have a more cohesive "gathering" vibe.

8)
Darcy.....I agree that we don't want to slam the place but they do get a large group of travelling surfers anyways that time of year. Hotels and houses will be full of surfers whether we are there or not. Good news is that there are a lot breaks within a fairly short driving distance and Ivan and the boys know the area a lot better than me.

I put this info on the website but I have contacted a surfing couple in Rincon that own several rental properties and an Internet Cafe to see if they are interested in coordinating lodging and get togethers in the Rincon area. Ivan is working on some lodging deals as well. I would like to have a couple of beach BBQ's during the time frame where everyone could get together.

And Jet Blue is $25 for surfboards! Don't tell them what other airlines are charging. They will do group discounts for groups of 15 or more and that info is listed at www.ecd.bz
Surf Hard Live Slow
IKAIKA

Post by IKAIKA »

ALOHA GUYS,
HERE IS ANOTHER OPTION FOR LODGING.

http://isabela.rentalo.com/vacation_rentals.html

L8RS,
CHIEF
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe

Post by joe »

Approximate pricing from airline web sites for flights from SoCal to San Juan in March 2006. JetBlue pricing for Jan 2006 (can't book flight later than that on-line). Links to baggage policies included.

JetBlue From San Diego to San Juan
$349/each way + $25/board
No baggage policy on web site

SpiritAir From LAX to San Juan
$900+/each way + $50 board fee
http://www.spiritair.com/welcome.aspx?pg=policies

American From San Diego to San Juan
$508/round trip + $80 board fee
https://www.aa.com/content/travelInform ... ance.jhtml

Continental From San Diego to San Juan
$619/round trip + $80 board fee (2 boards per bag)
http://www.continental.com/travel/polic ... sports.asp