Tavarua Gathering?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

dates

Post by Jack Beresford »

All but June are probably good for me and Mrs. Jack - but we'll need to finalize this soon or I may make plans for Tahiti.

Also, I love the idea of an all-KSUSA trip - especially if we worked a mini contest in. How's the surf there in Jan?
Jack Beresford
stemple

Post by stemple »

Nov to January is typically the least consistent time. see surflines survey of "when to go" On a scale of 1 to 10 of getting cloudbreak at head high or larger it is 4 or 5. Apparently this year they had very good swell for the christmas, new years time period. It is warmer that time of year and less wind. smaller but cleaner surf. I am going to see if I can get the slots in July first.
steve burpo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by steve burpo »

I've never been there,but if your only going to be there for a week,I would suggest going at the most consistent time possible.I would hate to think of going to Tavarua and getting skunked!!OOUCH!!
stemple

Post by stemple »

I just talked with the organizer of the July 13-18 trip. It is a couples trip. He has spots for 6 surfers and companions.

He also runs the November trip 13-20th that is totally wide open, non couples same price as listed below

Price $3,028 per person includes everything tips etc except booze; trips start from LAX

He says surf is amazingly consistent that time of year. Cloudbreak is nearly always overhead and resturants works consistently.

$500 Deposits due by Feb 15th. Anybody in?

Syd
Jack Beresford

tavy

Post by Jack Beresford »

Any idea who the other surfers are? Hopefully not Team Oneill!
Jack Beresford
steve burpo

Post by steve burpo »

Syd,can you post your email address or phone number? Thanks Steve
stemple

Post by stemple »

The trip leader told me it was a mix of mostly older surfers, one guy is bringing his kids 13 and 8. The leader is 48. Group on the island before that week is composed of doctors. some of the doctors are staying into that week. Could be handy for close encounters of the reef kind.

my email is stemple@questaec.com
work number is 510 236 6114 ext 220
cell is 510 206 0670

It looks like I arranged my schedule to make the salt point gathering next week. I am in So. Cal wednesday through sat afternoon call on cell during those times.
scoop

Post by scoop »

sid
what is the land content
i can organise my flight from oz
sounds good though

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Count me and the little lady as a go! do they charge full price for the women or are they cheaper? I vote for July when the waves are more consistent.

Tom Linn
Kevil Linn
stemple

Post by stemple »

Unfornately I have to bow out,

It is unlikely that I will not be able to swing a trip until late fall '04 or winter '05. New unforseen commitments to an inlaw family gathering this spring will make logistics and costs to high for me at this time. The following is the contact information about trips I have to date;

Aug. 28-sept 4. Jan Malice trip leader (858) 272 9093
sept 4-11 Brett Harjet (714) 847-4537
Nov 13 -20 Al Ulgeri (808) 870 7514
July 10-17 Al Ulgeri (808) 870 7514
June 19-26 Chris Cleridence (800) 447-4023

These are the names of the trip leaders. They can be contacted in regards to availibility and deposit deadlines. An all KSUSA trip is still a possibility for Jan 05. At this time I do not think we would get enough people to fill out a trip, though. One thing I did learn is that it is not that hard to get a spot if you bring an non-surfing partner. The best times to score reservations for peak summer season are Dec and January.
Many times spots are open at the last minute as well so it never hurts to call a few times during the year. What is really hard is to get, say 6 to 8 spots for surfers only. Most trips try not to book more than 18 to 20 surfers. The name of the game for most trip leaders is to fill out the spots with as few surfers as possible, thus there are a lot of "couples" trips.

Good Luck, sorry it didn't work out so well. I am still planning to go but the time frame has changed for me.

As an alternate foreign trip that is more resonably priced would be to take over a surf camp in Costa Rica. Airfare runs about $500 from CA and a week of accomadations runs about $600 with two meals a day and airport transfers.

Just a thought
red

Post by red »

Jack,
Looks like it's Tahiti for you.
Beer is $35 a case, surf break is 10 min walk from the dorms. 10 Days for 4 -5 day contest. What more could you want?
Jack Beresford

tavarua or tahiti

Post by Jack Beresford »

Tahiti isn't a bad back-up - even at $35/case! Dorms might not work for the wife though. Anyone know of some nice resorts/hotels near the venue?
Jack Beresford
red

Post by red »

Jack,
Not many hotels in Tahiti, except in Papeete.
But the contest organisers will arrange for you to stay with a family for about A$40 each (that's about US$30) a night, incl brekky and supper
Here's what Christophe Holozet, Event Director had to say:

Iaorana Red,
Thank you for your mail. For your info:
- Accomodations cost per day includes bed, breakfast and dinner.
- Your friends can be host in families. No problem for wives and children. I think I can arrange cost for entire families but I need to know how many persons they are.
- The 10 days event includes contest days and waiting period
- For selling boards to other contestants it's at your charge. You can make it but you have to know that at your arrival in Tahiti you will be checked for your competition gears and at your departure you must have the same quantity of boards. If you're lucky it can be good for you but if the custom checks you it is 200 US$ fine per boards.This law have been taken by the local government for protecting local shapers
- Local Hinano Beers box of 24 bottles 50 cl, it's around 35 US$
If you need more info don't hesitate to contact us.

MAURUURU and Welcome to TAHITI

You can try emailing Chistophe at qch.tahiti@netcourrier.com.
Reply may take a while to get, though

The 2 page letter has more info. You can access a copy at:
http://www.bsys.monash.edu/staff/aceglo ... HORUE1.pdf
You can get a surf directory from www.wannasurf.com
Find Tahiti and hit the "print" button at the top left of the page. this produces a 23 page pdf on screen listing spots and conditions. The water's a miserable 24 degrees and the air temp a chilly 27 (that's celcius)

I think that stying with a local family is a great way to go. You get immersed in the culture and have access to local knowledge.

But the dorm is 10 min from a local reef break!
Jack Beresford

tahiti

Post by Jack Beresford »

Thanks Red! Sounds very cultural!
Jack Beresford