Grom Gathering 1/14/06 Oceanside

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Grom Gathering 1/14/06 Oceanside

Post by Tom Linn »

Calling all Groms! Bring on the Groms! Groms get priority on every wave this day. All kneelos welcome to come and support the groms. I hoping to see at least 10 young kneelos in the water that day. Possible bonfire if we can find a fire ring!

7:00 AM South Jetty Oceanside. Breakfast or lunch at a restuarant nearby afterward.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

sheeeit...sounds sweet, I live in torrance but if I can make it down there (that's a long while from now) I'll be stoked. I'll tell you all if I can.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

There is one fire ring just north of the parking lot, I will bring wood and my groms (two nine year olds)
Jack Beresford

grom

Post by Jack Beresford »

I feel like a grom...can I come?

Jack
RT
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by RT »

Newbie as of the SC titles, and figure this would be a great expeirence for my 15yr old 'grom' nephew, who just adopted one of my old boards this fall.

Live in Ventura County and thinking of making it a family outing...going down the night before with my wife and kids, and grom in tow. Any recommendations for reasonable, nice accomodations nearby?

Also, how good is the surf at Oceanside? Best swell direction, etc.? Rarely make it south of Malibu, and have never gotten around to surfing the spot.
Chris Buscemi
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Camping

Post by Chris Buscemi »

RT-There are a lot of good campgrounds from San O to San Diego that are right on the beach. I think that you can get a site for about 25 bucks a night. It's a great alternative to finding a hotel room or two for your whole family. Try this link for info or contact Tom Linn and MartinMurph... I think Carlsbad will be your best bet for being close to the gathering and convienence:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commo ... state.html

I hope this helps and that everyone going to the gathering gets some surf. Wish I could be there. Adios- Chris Buscemi
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

RT- It would be great to see you there. Oceanside is a beach break with many similarities to Hollywood-by-the-Sea. It works on similar swell, tide and wind conditions as Hollywood. However, it's not quite as hollow or powerful because the incline of the bottom is more gradual.

There are many hotels of various price ranges near the break. The break itself is located immediately in front of the Oceanside harbor. The south jetty area is at the foot of a rivermouth that drains on the south side of the harbor.

Also, I'm thinking that we could all just surf right in front of the fire ring and take breaks warming at the fire. The fire ring is just north of the rivermouth.
RT

Post by RT »

Chris/Tom - Thanks for the info.
Dave Lindsey

Post by Dave Lindsey »

Sounds like fun :D I have an El Paipo 48 knee machine, should I bring it or is history too boring a subject :? As far as afterwards, I can recommend some good places depending if you want all-American breakfast or mexican lunch. 8)
"Plugs"
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Bring it. The kids might want to ride it.
Dave Lindsey

Post by Dave Lindsey »

Good point. It looks like a killer belly board more than a kneeboard. I'm going to get pics of it on the site as soon as I can get my hands on a good digi camera. Next question, just turned 51 freakin' years last week (ROB), so I may actually get some respect out there :D HA!
"Plugs"
Craig

Post by Craig »

Respect :lol: not a chance Dave. How long have you had that knee machine :?: sounds like the one I had.
Hey Tom theres a covered picnic area right @ the S. Jetty parking lot. Tables, Barbeque. We could rope it of early :!:
Dave Lindsey

Post by Dave Lindsey »

I won't be the only old-timer out there young man! The knee machine is from a guy at work. I bought a 9' 11" Rusty from him and he had the El Paipo up in the rafters. I need to water-tight the nose and it will be ready to go. He's just letting me use it for a while to show all the KSUSA folk.
"Plugs"
ShaunMurphy

Post by ShaunMurphy »

Getting really stoked for this weekend
BUT is there gonna be any swell ?
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Here's the surf forecast for Saturday from wetsand:

"Friday the 13th into Saturday the 14th is when our next NW swell is due. This will peak on Saturday, but Friday is looking to get some of this swell too. It’s not much; it’s another high-riding system the jet stream is taking into the far reaches of the Gulf of Alaska. Size on Friday will likely be waist high + with some chest high + set waves at standout west facing breaks during prime, mid tidal hours.

Saturday the 14th is the peak of this swell with size chest high or so. "

One bummer is the major high tide for that morning. Oh well, should be fun and surfable anyway. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!