NORTH SHORE GATHERING 2006?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

I just got back from Hawaii last night and I must say, getting on the plane was rough. I felt like a little kid," I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go". The weather was beautiful and the surf was great. We surfed a few places that I never surfed before, just heard stories about, and scored. Just us kneeboarders for a while, a crowd of four surfing waves described by Craig Russel as a house coming at you! Sometimes it felt like a whole subdivision! Craig was charging, caught some beautiful waves and had some in your throat experiences! David Shinbarra was catching some outside bombs and tore 'em up with that ever present smile on his face. Buddy, as usual, picked off the best of them and was putting his board through the paces. As I like to say in my profession, he was exploring it's range of motion.
At another kneelo score, Scott Wessling and Paul Wuslich got to practice their left handed tube riding skills.It seems that the poor devils are stuck in the land of right points and reefs and never get the chance. My heart was really going out to them, watching them pull in, one after another, one after another, enough to make you sick. We surfed this spot until we were noodles and left it empty.Went home, fueled up and Bud forced us back. Man, that guy has energy!
It was great surfing with all of you guys, I'm sure we're all going to do it again soon somewhere!! Special thanks to Ann, Sai and Bud for opening up their house and hearts, pointing us in the right direction and keeping us out of trouble! Bill
DavidS
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DavidS »

Bill,
As always I was stoked to share some unreal conditions with you.
That session on Thursday just inspired me to charge a little bigger and a litter deeper..

For those of you who couldn't make it, Bill's trip started off with Stiff Onshore North Winds and trechorous conditions... But as fate would have it, the winds/wave/moon/stars lined up for Bill and Craig before they had to hop on the plane... From Lani's to Yards, to spots that cannot be named, it was epic.

After one session, Bill, Bud, Craig, and I just stood on the beach watching these wave coming in and thinking, "Damn when we got here it was no one but us 4..

On their last day, before hopping on the plane, we got one last awesome day at Yards.. Besides us 3, there were 3 other kneelos (Paul Bauer, Paul from Santa Cruz, and Scott (not Wessling).. My other 2 kneelo friends caught epic Vland with good ole Dave Sears..
Craig

Post by Craig »

Bill and Dave - I don't know what I can add, you have summed it up. Bud, Bill and Dave you have all inspired me. You have raised the bar and my surfing will improve because of it. I look forward to our next surf together.

Bud, the J less run on Thursday was great. And what an amazing session. It is still sinking in. I was thrilled and humbled all at the same time. (Thanks, Bud for keeping me out of trouble).

Saturday morning was EPIC. Not a word I often use, shackfest comes to mind :D

Much thanks to Bud, Ann and Sai for your endless Aloha. Can't wait for '07.

PS... We really need you young bloods next year. You are missing out on expanding your horizons.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Craig,
See you in May...
Hopefully we can catch some Kaisers, Bowls, Big Rights, etc..
Heck Country might still have some waves...
randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

north shore gathering

Post by randiego »

wow, you guys are killing me with these tales of good uncrowded North Shore surf, since it's been 0-2 feet the last few days here in san diego!
Last edited by randiego on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidS

Re: north shore gathering

Post by DavidS »

randiego wrote:I would to love to join one of these gatherings - if you don't mind a 'north shore newbie' hanging around...
Hey Randiego,
There's always somewhere to surf in Hawaii regardless of being a newbie or not to the islands... If the country is macking, there's the East or West side to consider.....

Or as Scott just experience, a rare south swell in the winter...
We surfed Browns (at Diamond Head) with 3 feet sets and only he and I along with a small kid. It worked out good for Scott since he was staying 5 minutes away from Diamond Head and had limited time to surf.

I heard Bowl was a fun 4 feet but Uku Million guys out...

Hope you can make it one day... :D