Waves on the way for HB/Newport Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

HB Gathering

Post by DarcyM »

Mark and Dan did an insane job and there was SO MUCH Food and Good company and decent waves even! I know they didn't have anything to do with the waves other than their outstandingly good karma. Anyway, they did a great job and thanks, guys. Nice to see such a good turnout, too.

We really had the stand-ups scared out at the river jetties! heh heh!

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Huntington Gathering

Post by Craig »

Hats off to Mark & Danny and the Huntington crew, you guy's Rip! It was an outstanding day, and waves too. Very 8)

Still a Grom!
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Although we did'nt get to hang for the food portion, the surf side of things was a lot of fun. It was fun to see kneeboarders on just about every set that came through.
Thanks to Mark and Danny for giving us an excuse to surf some where different.
MWROBERTSON

Thanks Everyone

Post by MWROBERTSON »

:D Once again the Kneelo Sprit Came through!

Danny and I want to thank all you for showing up at the HB/Newport gathering over the weekend. The stoke was high and it was the most fun ever sharing the glassy, peaky low-tide surf at the State Park Jetty entrance. I was stoked to see somewhere around 20 kneeboard riders in the water going off! Everyone was sharing peaks as there were amble lefts and rights to be had. ( I will try to write a more detailed story to go with the photos as they come in. Thanks to Joel Mayer the photographer that day!) Some people stayed all day and into the evening to eat MORE BBQ and watch the sunset.

Hats off to Danny Robertson, Greg Shewman, Tom Backer, Jim Richardson, Mike Butler and Paul De Voy who were there at 6:30am with me to set up tents, tables, provide fire wood, coffee, music, cooking skills etc.

There were so many of us, that I lost track of all that were there. If you could, please send me an e/mail so we can add your name to the participant list and let you know about next years event and all others that are to come! 8)
Landlocked
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Landlocked »

My thanks to everyone involved, particularly Mark and Danny for hosting.
I had so much fun! Good waves and an excellent vibe.
Good to see old friends and meet new ones.
Landlocked once again,
Dean
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

It was killer to see such a great turnout, great surf and wonderful to see so many kneelos in the water at the same time rippin it up. I got to see old friends and meet new ones, had a fun time trying out that tiny kneeboard and chowin on chef shewmans burgers and the pork skewers that eric created and many thanks to Wayne Koppit for donating the ice chest full of cold waters. mark and dan gracias.
DK

Post by DK »

Mark, sounds like you organised a great day. Here in Oz we have had heaps of experience in organising comps. but the whole social gathering aspect is something we can look to you guys for inspiration for.
Our single fin comp. was more of a gathering really- and Im in the process of organising the Sydney Club for a non-comp gathering at my local with BBQ after- both sides are worth nurturing. (sorry im lost without a spell check)
MWROBERTSON

Gatherings

Post by MWROBERTSON »

DK-

The social aspect has been a great concept that allows us to surf, trade design ideas and incorporate family members and friends. Everyone is welcome! People have been bringing their wives, children, babies, spouses etc. Another positive aspect is that the young ones see us having fun and riding our special brand of surf craft. I hope it rubs off. An example, Mike Butler got his young boys out for a few waves on my softie kneeboard that evening before sunset. His wife sat around the BBQ on the beach. She made some new friends and the boys got to surf. A win-win for everyone!

The comps are great but some people shy away from that venue. We hoped people would come out of the shadows and join in AT WHATEVER LEVEL if they'd like. This format allows everyone to come out have fun and just share the stoke no matter what their experience or surfing ability.

What most of us wanted was a club/group concept that has something for everyone. If you want to compete...great....we have contests. If you just want to free surf....that's cool. If you want to belong to a fun group and meet some nice people...that's there. If you want to surf new spots, somebody is usually hosting a Gathering somewhere along the coast on a monthly basis.

These gatherings at different locations allow us to surf new breaks and or hit spots that "turn on" at different times of the year. Next month a group of us are going to Baja. October, there is something set up at Jalama. November has been an automatic trip up north now for me. Don Harris hosted last year at Ocean Beach in San Francisco. As I drove up the coast from Huntington, I spend two days with Chris Anderson (he was kind enough to let me crash at his place) and surfed Moss Landing, Alisimor on the Monterey Peninsula and then hit Steamers Lane in Santa Cruz. The bottom line is without our gatherings and website I would not have met all these great people up and down the whole California Coast. We often welcome a vist and someone else to surf with.

My standup buddies are always blown away when we are in the water and another kneeboarder is out. Usually we know each other or we often gravitate over in the lineup. We start talking about design, where we surf, who we know etc. The standup guys always tell me that we seem to have this tribal stoke that runs deep that they don't share.

I know we can't please everyone but it appears that our group has a lot to offer no matter what your "cup of tea".

Trust me, the fun catches on quick! We want to do a special event like you guys did. Old boards, swapping boards etc. :D
DK

Post by DK »

Cheers Mark.
Its just awesome to share info with guys from all over the kneelo world.

Ive already started to drop hints to my wife about making the trip to California in 06- the lure of Disneyland for the grommetts is helping my cause.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

DK,
You probably already know this... but shoot for our Fall/Winter.
October/November are ideal for conditions... swell w/o rain.
Also, Dizzyland crowds are down with all our groms in school.
Keep us posted, and we can help dial you in...