East Coast Gathering?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

chasinglefts
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by chasinglefts »

yeah, the 4/3 doesn't really cut it for too long, always sends the family into hibernation, and usually limits my mid-winter sessions to an hour or so. But i refuse to buy anything thicker, as i keep telling myself i'm moving back down south.
Mike- looks like a sw windswell builds friday and saturday, with a hopeful cleanup sat. afternoon or sunday morning. I'll keep an eye out.
Last weekend I got an oceanfront room at 54th street for $45, not a bad deal when it's this cold. I'll start camping again in a month or so, when it warms up and they jack the prices.
google- i saw some pics of NC from sunday-tuesday, looked like good fun. where'd you surf?
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Chasing, sounds good. I work Saturday's, so will see you Sunday if there are waves.
Americana Hotel around 6th street is $35. in winter, $45. now, oceanfront.
Hot Russian chick works there, and no bedbugs :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
chasinglefts

Post by chasinglefts »

I like hot foreign chicks and bug-free sleeping quarters. I'll give you a call on saturday. could be waves

jamie
Scott

Post by Scott »

Mike, what are the crowds like in these breaks, even with the cold temps?
chasinglefts

Post by chasinglefts »

crowds are for the most part nonexistant, especially since the sandbars shift so much during winter storms. much like the outer banks, just drive down the road a bit more to find a bar to yourself. with that said, there are tons of surfers all along the coastlines of nc, va, del, md, and jersey, so at certain spots there can definitely be a crowd.
the tradeoff is that you guys on the west coast get all that great long period groundswell, but you also get a full week of hype before it arrives, whereas over here, it may only be good for a few hours or a day, so there isn't much of a hype machine, we just have to pay close attention to the passage of fronts and roll the dice...
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hi Scott, I would agreee with Chasing, so far waves here have only lasted 2-3 days, I don't think I have missed any waves, and I have surfed less that 10 times since last November :cry:
Hopefully hurricane season will bring in the swells.
But when I am out in the winter, I am the only one out. It may be unsafe, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Last weekend the air was 50 degrees, water was still 41-45, but there was a crowd of about 20 guys out, not a problem though, they were spread out plus we had a current.
What I have noticed about the waves here in MD and DE is that it is like riding shore pound. Powerful, and the paddle out is short.
The beach is steep, so you paddle out less than the length of a football field. No shallow water to tread through like Huntington.
I find myself getting pitched over alot on bigger waves, and last weekend my leash broke at the ankle :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

chasing - surfed first street in kill devil hills. that sandbank has been the best i've found since moving back to nc last summer. it was a little crowded with maybe 15 people out - you have to think about how cold the water is for this to seem crowded. with good positioning though i was definitely able to get my share.
mike - thanks for the info in the other thread. i think morocco will definitely be a cool weekend trip if i don't go there to surf.
chasinglefts

Post by chasinglefts »

google- is first street still doing that crazy backwash trick at high tide? I haven't surfed there since last august, but i remember one day of clean swell where it was just pitching, rolling up the beach, and then exploding on the way back out. lots of fun to bodysurf, i was getting more air than any of the shortboarders.

mike, you just brought to my attention that it probably isn't all that safe for me to have paddled out with no one around last weekend, but like you said, sometimes you just have to go.
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

looks like we're going to have some good swell this week. and wednesday'll probably be the day. windguru is calling for a very light side offshore wind for wednesday. every other day the wind looks too strong and onshore. the water is now 4/3able at 52 degrees. i'll be on it every afternooon if the conditions are right. seems like the best surf always comes in the middle of the week.
Chris Buscemi

Home for the Holiday

Post by Chris Buscemi »

I'll be in town Thursday night and staying through Monday afternoon. As of now it looks like I might miss the swell. Maybe we'll luck out and get some more waves by the end of the week.

I'm up for anything with some juice even if the conditions are not ideal. Drop me a line if anyone wants to surf.

-Chris
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Just opened up the Surfline page and they had Hatteras shown on the cam.

Looking really good!

Spitting barrels! 8)

Hope Chris B. and crew are getting some.

Send us a report.
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

yep,
today was lots of fun. about head high and mostly closeouts but tubes, tubes and more tubes.
surfed just south of the boiler on pea island for about four hours. only did about four turns - just pulled in the rest of the time. water temp's about perfect in the mid fifties.