Cinco de Mayo Swell - Who Scored?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Cinco de Mayo Swell - Who Scored?

Post by Jack Beresford »

One of the first Southern Hemi swells arrived in Californa Friday just in time for the weekend and honor of the Mexican army's victory over the French in spite of being vastly outnumbered.

So amongst our vastly outnumbered kneelo community who scored and who got vanquished?

DMJS: About a dozen of SoCal's finest hooked up at DMJs Saturday morning to find head-high waves with a few bigger sets. Not quite all time but still fun and worth the $3.45/gallon gas (Wino you still owe). Great to connect with Chris Buscemi who recently got transfered to Camp Pendleton (lucky guy) and who was having lots of fun reaquainting himself with his Flashpoint trifin. Another highlight was Jason's "full moon" salute from the fast lane on the I-5 in Carlsbad. Imagine the look on the faces of the poor standups who were pulling into the parking lot at 7 a.m. to see a dozen kneeboarders and maybe six standups in the lineup! George shot video for about 30 minutes but got shut down by the guards (something about needing a permit). Joel says he got about 400 shots - I'll try to connect with him this week and post a few. Strangely absent was any of the O-side crew. Greg, we know, was killing brain cells at the Temecula beer festival...where were the rest of yuz? Just don't call it a gathering!

Thanks again Chris - I hear the MPs at the main gate want to have a chat with you about the dozen suspicious-looking guests all dropping your name!
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skansand

score

Post by skansand »

friday rjs was fun/bumpy,yesterday huntington had some larger waves and i just got back from cottons which was still big 6-8' with bigger sets which was the best knee session ive ever had!!!! surfed about 6 hours strait ...i saw some old friends out in the water there who both told me saturday was double over at cottons and this was veriified by a couple other surfers later on...so ive surfed everyday of the swell and dont intend to stop...gonna go to wedge tomorrow i think...my muscles ache right now but im determined to get some wedge pits this weekend....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Ler

HB

Post by Ler »

H.B. was really lame again. This is going to be the longest summer ever.
Jack Beresford

swell

Post by Jack Beresford »

Only three replies (if you count Ler), c'mon guys you're either spending too much time on dry land or you're not sharing the goods! Heck, even if you spent the weekend cleaning the garage make something up - it's only the Internet!

I heard Bob Gove's boat broke down 1/2 mile from the harbor on his way to the Catalinas - this guy is the poster child for Vessle Assist! Fortunately his story has a happy ending south of the border.

Still plenty of swell around this morning...and more on the way!
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Hah! Bob invited me to go with him this weekend on the boat trip. I couldn't make the trek but good to know about his boat karma. I may be a strong paddler but not with an oar!

OB was BLOWN to bits by straight westerlies. Santa Cruz probably had surf. Friday was the cleanest day but not enough time for me to take advantage.

Forecasts are calling for more southern-hemi... GO GETT'EM

8)

Don
PS. I spent Sunday cleaning the garage :cry: Seriously!
Don Harris
KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Cinco de Mayo Swell-Who Scored?

Post by KevinJFina »

I did-see the new south is in post. Jon Manss:A little crowded is when you can actually paddle through with out bumping rails or kick with your flippers and not splash the groms wondering what are you actually riding until they hesitate and you drop in late and make the wall that they just bailed on. Sunday I hit hueneme-scattered peaky walls onto the sand-still pretty fun.
peace
Kevin
barry

scoring

Post by barry »

Yeah Jack, good to hear that you have been scoring :!:
I enjoyed surfing with you and the boys on sat.
also had lots of fun at RJ's on friday :shock:
I surfed with Robert O'toole then Beeline and Skasand showed up near the end of my session.
Lots of good lefts to be had :wink:
Dont know where Ler was looking but
H.B. still doing it if you look in the proper places :idea:
Hoping to see you all in the barrel soon :!:
Barry
WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by WillP »

The backside of PV had little waves all weekend. Gave me a chance to dust off my longboards. How was the water temp in HB?

PV is still super cold.
skansand

hb

Post by skansand »

hb.....59/60
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Ler

HB

Post by Ler »

I think I sawed lake street.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

OK - surfed Church's friday afternoon - really fun but CROWDED!!! Strands and Creek on Sat and it was the same story. Just went down to RJ's and there are still waves but a poo advisory is in effect - better go get shots!!! HB Pier looked really good.
Craig

Post by Craig »

As for the O'side crew, I looked @ the harbor early Saturday mornning,
there was a grom contest setting up and the surf looked kinda walled and lumpy w/ big current.

I apparently missed the smoke signals that a (Surf Get together) was happening DMJ'S so I surfed warm waters w/ TOOFAST.

I ran in to Joel yesterday he said he took some killer pics of you guy's getting shacked, so get them posted 8)

StIlL a GrOm :!:
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackG

Post by JackG »

Saturnday morning I headed south out of the island shadow, aiming for Hueneme. Got as far as C Street before I saw head high peaks. Clean lefts and rights, but vErY cRoWdEd.