Cinco de Mayo Swell - Who Scored?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

Sounds like a good time at DMJs. Sorry to have missed it.

Sam and I stayed close to home on Saturday and scored some clean HH+ with only 2-3 other surfers for 3 hours. When the wind came up we grabbed the boat and met Martin, Curtis and families for sailing and BBQ on the bay.

Sunday was a little lumpy, but we still got some really fun waves.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Our initial “Grom Day at the Bay” was a success. We had three families; two sailboats and five groms all learning how to be complete waterman. Anybody interested in doing it again please let us know.
Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)

cinco de mayo swell, who scored?

Post by Bob Gove »

While it is true, my boat has been known to break down on occasion while on missions to the Channel Islands, the good thing this time is that we weren't 40 miles from port, and I was able to limp in on the mighty 6 hp evinrude outboard backup motor. Conditions in Ventura were epic-offshore winds, head hi barrels just south of Ventura Harbor, but I had a dead boat behind me, and just wanted to ditch it at home and get to Mex. Finally pulled up at a certain point break that rhymes with Sclemafia, and it was 4' overhead, with 12 guys out (most of whom didn't know how to surf it). As the tide filled in and the wind dropped it kept getting better all the way to dark. Great waves to try out the new 4 fin fish Parkes board I got last week, it smokes. Got it again the next morning a little smaller, and then Windan on Sunday. Stay tuned for possible further adventures in the Mas Olas II during the next swell on the 19-20. Should have the olutdrive rebuilt by then! Cheers.
Ler

??

Post by Ler »

I bet Lake Street was pretty bad. The last time I surfed it took three guys and 20 minutes to get my wetsuit on. I think Tom Backer got scared for life, when my changing blanket, (not towel, blanket) fell open. Sorry old boy. I don't know for sure, but I bet Huntington had current, walled, and people.
Ler

Post by Ler »

8)
Last edited by Ler on Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

mike butler "ler" "snookums" PLEASE..... do not contact me ever again... I'm scarred for life...if I see you again near the ocean I will run away.
tomb
ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ocean7847 »

well i just got back to work today so thats why i took so long to clock in with my swell story.

i had to call in sick on monday - lets just say my trip to baja was insane. left SD at 1PM on friday and crossed the border no problem. traffic was light, we flew down to our campsite. beers, set up tent, wind was on-shoreish so we opted to continue drinking. campsite full off SD college chicks next to us and things were looking up. we hit the bar/restaurant combo where my buddy joe knows the owners and had some food and drink.

nothing came of it :roll: , but i had a girl push me back into my tent around midnight and take my shoes off and start making moves at my pants too. i thought i was in, but for she spooked and bailed on me. :twisted: whatever, i grabbed another beer and rejoined the fiesta.

somewhere around 3-4 AM was the pass out. awoke to first like - yes, like 5:30AM first light, and paddled out to some good-from-shore looking overheat sets. too bad they kept backing up, sectioning - all in all, the conditions were 'meh'. we went in and resumed drinking.

we waited for a friend who arrived at camp later that night to wake up before heading to t****as. overhead and quick down the line - thought not hollow enough for tube chasing. i pulled behind one section and regretted it when i got flopped onto the reef and cut my hand up. i stood up shocked to find myself in shin deep water as a head high line of white water mowed me down and rolled me over some more reef. i got a couple bombers which was nice - lucky position and timing i guess - before paddling in and heading up to a resort to chill in the spa and have some margaritas.

drove down to s************ and s** ****** and checked the surf there, met up with some more of joes friends, more "shenanigans".

back up to the campsite for another wild evening of college girls, aussies, the mayorga-delahoya beat down, and we passed out at 5AM after partying with the locals who camped next to us.

8am wakeup and we hit one more session on the way back over the border. wind was onshore for the evening session, but i got a big rock session on monday around 11.

surfed this morning at scripps and saw another kneelo riding a blast round pin - though his was a quad. head high waves today with some fun punch, i got a couple clean ones and got in to an overloaded in-box today.

it wasn't epic - lots of south wind even in baja, but i had a blast on our first swell
Jack Beresford

surf

Post by Jack Beresford »

Great stuff - keep it coming! Craig, sorry we missed you but it's early in the season and I'm sure we'll connect soon. Ocean, your post makes me tired and want to take a shower! Ler - it's a good thing you work for Hurley!
Ler

?

Post by Ler »

I know Jack, nobody else would put up with my crap! I think I amuse them them in some weird way, like what will he do next.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

I would like to add that Jack and Wino saw a FULL MOON early Saturday morning even though it was typical May Gray.
It was too cool surfing with everyone-had a blast. Also, got my best barrel of the year-nice backdoor job with room to spare..
MWROBERTSON

scored

Post by MWROBERTSON »

That bluff area in HB had 4-6ft glassy wedged up peaks today. The swell converged from both directions to give you that "should I go left or right effect".

I only saw one other KB'er Jeff.

It got better as the tide droppped a bit.

Jim Richarson said he got fun, glassy 4-6ft Lowers last night. 20+ out but dropped to 10 guys by dark.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mark - JimPutz, Scott and I surfed Mag's and it was the same way. Really fun.
skansand

yaa

Post by skansand »

had fun waves at 56 st this afternoon......little bump/chop but i managed to nabb a few barrels from the shortboarders and got some sweeeeeet rides....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Jack Beresford

surf

Post by Jack Beresford »

Brad - Joel said you were on fire on Saturday and he got some nice photos of you...we'll see!

Jack
matt cunningham

BOB AND THE BOAT

Post by matt cunningham »

Hola Vatos,

Reading about Bob's misadventures in Channel Islands and the crew at DMJ scoring makes me itchy. Martin and Joe sailing with the groms is good. Five weeks into reahb wed. Brad have you used that Y2k fish yet? Spinning an hour every other day. Hiked 11/2 hours with Rachael and Jake yesterday. All surgical pain gone. First walk/hike in four years with no pain. Oh man I think surgery was worth it. What a feeling.....

Long story short, I can get back in the water on the 17th.....hmmmm...pretty good timing........

So I hope I see some of your sd kneelos the weekend after next.....Bob maybe a baja run..keep me on the list...new #858-354-9870

Walt, when do you want to hit that little secret spot near Lompoc?
I've got the June 19th father's day wekend open-might be a call.....
Looking forward to the ocean
Go pads

Life is good pain free....

Matt