informal gathering tea tree feast, report

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

informal gathering tea tree feast, report

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Swell's been up on the Sunshine Coast, :D started last wednesday, carried over to the weekend.:D :D :D It's been several days of dawn patrols and some outstanding waves. This has been the first decent swell since i got the new board and thanks to Splashy (he's given me a set of small fins for the trailers as a trial) the first chance i've had to really see what the quad set up does relative to the twin fin set up I've ridden for yonks. verdict great at this size but in smaller waves I'll go back to the twin set up and ride on the edge of control. The quad set up drives hard in this size and hangs me up higher on the face than I was used to with the twin.:wink:
I'm addicted to Tea Tree.
Thursday dawn with so much water coming past the point it was an intense effort to stay on the spot. Monsters you could read a book on before you took a bottom turn.
Friday dawn I was supposed to hook up with a kneelo mate from Brisbane who said he'd pick me up at 5.30 am but when I said I'd have to go to work later and I'd meet him in the carpark at nationals he turned his alarm off ( 4am to make that rendevous) and came up later in the day to his chagrin as he missed the best of the tide.... :oops: :cry:
I came out of the water about 8.30 with the impression that I'd had some of the best waves of my life. Seriously late drops, getting barrelled screaming or rather laughing and yahooing down the point.:D :o :lol:
Saturday everywhere was working the open beaches were going off 6'+ the points had cleaned up and so we my son & I hit TT. He's just up from Tassie ( stand-up, the kneelo gene's recessive, tho' he does ride on the knees when the spirit takes him) It had to be one of the best vibed sessions I've had there, no crowds cos' they were spread from Noosa to Byron, all going off!:lol: :lol:
The brisbane connection, Mark, said OK I'm coming up tomorrow.......5.30 pick up.
The swell had dropped a fair bit BUT it was classic, the crowds were somewhere else, we paddled out, after the cliff climb and sat off the far point laughing taking ridiculous drops and clean barrelling waves.
After a while we were joined by Lowrider. I saw him get some insane tubes, surfing this thing that looks like a skinned tiger.
A little while after that, this other Kneelo arrives paddles out to where we were taking off and proceeds to take off on some screamers, hanging tight to the curl, carving with authority. The late arrival turns out to be Ian Cameron, we're talking and carrying on when I realise the last time I'd surfed with him was 30 years ago, there are reasons why I couldn't remember him first off, it was the 70's :? :oops:
It was when we both were competition fiends. Mind you we've both changed a bit except for our love of surfing. Ian reckons he's picky about what he surfs, guess i'm just a surf slut...:wink:
So by now there's 4 kneelos all charging the point taking anything we want giving crumbs to the standup crew.
It's been a far while since I've been in the water with a mob of kneelos, that hadn't been arranged, surfing good waves and dominating a break.
After the tide started to compromise the outer wave and we were stuffed and badly in need of food and caffeine, we came in. Stood on the shore and debated whether or not we should go back out aas they were still soming in round the bay, just not from behind the point. the brunch won, must be getting old:shock:
A rare day.:!:
I hope the rest of you guys on the sunny coast had as good a time as we all did. :lol:
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Yeah, take over Riq :!: :twisted:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

:D Yeah, it was a classic session, Riq :D

and more swell forecast for this Sunday :lol:

I'll be out of town unfortunately.....
I'm going to be driving an elderly VW to Nambucca Heads for a gathering
of a different kind this weekend. 8)

cheers!
lr
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Mike, yeah any time, informal point domination is on...., which edge are you on again?

Hi Lowrider,
get that karman ghia goin', watch out for the wallopers. Have you ever taken it down the orara valley way from grafton to coffs, used to live at coramba about 15 km out of coffs on this road? take the road out of south grafton to nymboida then turn off left about 9km out of town, a bit different to goin down the highway. Mind you there's some nice surf round nambucca or are you meeting at valla?? Valla & Urunga river mouth worth a look.
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Hi Riq,
got your message too late...no room for a board , unfortunately.
Had a fun trip; the KG went great.
We came back on secondary roads to avoid the interstate trucks;
Grafton through to Lismore and on through Nimbin.
Check out the VW traffic jam at Nambucca, including the 'rat' Beetle with kneeboard on roof. :lol:
BTW, waves at Tea Tree yesterday... 3-4'... tide a bit full & overcrowded :roll:

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Love those VWs.

My first car was a 1962 ragtop bug.

6 volt with the rounded hub caps.

Many fond memories of that car
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

bet you could find a few "roaches" in those beetles :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Lowrider looks like a great weekend, Looked like one of my old boards on that beetle, I used live around there and sold my last crozier in that area.....
cheers Riq
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo