Baja Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

Baja Gathering

Post by Ler »

How was the Baja gathering this last weekend? Any surf?

Mike Butler
MWROBERTSON

Baja gathering

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Special THANKS to BRUCE ROYER for setting up this years gathering!

It was a great time! Story and some photos to follow.

Will Perez was kind enough to let us rent out his family's beautiful place in Las Gaviotas. Don Harris put together some great T-shirts for the participants in this years event.

We surfed two to three sessions a day. Mostly around the Baja Malibu area. Waves ranged from 3-6ft faces, glassy and hollow. High tide peaks in the a.m & low tide dredgers in the late afternoon.

On Saturday morning, Eric Schloklof, Jack Bresford, Greg Little, Danny Robertson, Mark Robertson, Scott Wesling, Will Prez, Bruce Royer, Don Harris, Derek Holland & Steve Burpo all shared peaks at B M's.

Wayne Koppit drove down and surfed with the guys Sunday a.m.

A lot of laughs and fun waves.
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Scott shot about 50 photos on the Saturday afternoon session... could be some good ones as the glassy peelers just kept coming through.

Stay tuned - should be about a week before I get them posted.

Great trip and thanks to all for making the trek, sharing the waves and stories (Bruce you gotta write some of these in the Short Stories Forum - "Hurricane" was hilarious!)
Don Harris
WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by WillP »

I was only able to make it down for one night due to my work schedule, but surfing with those guys was super fun! Seeing a kneeboarder drop in on just about every wave ridden on Saturday morning was a unique experience in itself. I was bummed I had to leave early but it was worth it. I was so stoked that it made the long flight to Manila a breeze. Thanks to all of you guys that I surfed with on saturday. I'll be back in the country on thursday night. Lets go for a surf.
Jack Beresford

Baja Gathering

Post by Jack Beresford »

Greg, Eric and I had a good time hooking up with everyone on Saturday morning. Believe it or not, it was my first time surfing BM. Imagine glassy, head-high tubes with no one else around for a mile in either direction. Only one problem - freezing-ass cold water! I'm sure Don was loving it!
Jack Beresford
Don
Admin

Re: Baja Gathering

Post by Don »

Jack Beresford wrote:Greg, Eric and I had a good time hooking up with everyone on Saturday morning. Believe it or not, it was my first time surfing BM. Imagine glassy, head-high tubes with no one else around for a mile in either direction. Only one problem - freezing-ass cold water! I'm sure Don was loving it!
Well, I wouldn't say "loving it" but I did feel at home in my 4/3. If nothing else it protected me from whatever that was getting bubbled up from the bottom and looking like a cespool.

I suggest anyone heading down to Mex think seriously about checking the water bacteria levels. At almost exactly 9:00 on both Friday and Saturday we were paddling in a brown, foul smelling area for about 20 minutes... we asked "the Hendersons" who live on the cliff and they were unaware of any outflows other than waste dumping by the cruise ships... Sunday we were absent of the discoloration Mark Robertson dubbed "Poop Peak" as our glassy blue water turned brown for a brief while.

Aside from the 20 minutes Friday and Saturday described above I know we scored way more waves than most in California as my home break was wind blown and flat all day for those 3 days :-)
Don Harris
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Actually, I lied...
6' Hawaiin each day... offshore winds grooming the
empty lines. Reef Sandals sponsored Brazo BB gals
in the line-up. Tough go.
Dang, wish I could have gone South!
However, reality is just around the bend. Looks like (finally!)
the stars are aligning!
DerekH
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Mexico Trip

Post by DerekH »

Thanks again to Bruce Royer for setting up a great trip. Lots of laughs. The guys have some of the best stories of past surf trips ever. Once again, it was great to see so many kneeboaders in the water at the same time. Thanks to Will for letting us stay at the house at Las Gaviotas, it was perfect, and to Don for the cool shirts. It was overall a fun relaxing trip (except the return trip coming through the border)Looking forward to next year.
Don
Admin

Re: Mexico Trip

Post by Don »

DerekH wrote:Thanks again to Bruce Royer for setting up a great trip. Lots of laughs. The guys have some of the best stories of past surf trips ever. Once again, it was great to see so many kneeboaders in the water at the same time. Thanks to Will for letting us stay at the house at Las Gaviotas, it was perfect, and to Don for the cool shirts. It was overall a fun relaxing trip (except the return trip coming through the border)Looking forward to next year.
One of the coolest things during the weekend was seeing Derek progressing throughout the trip and on Sunday he was a wave magnet! Every where Derek paddled the set waves would follow... I should have been smarter and paddled a bit closer to him ;-)

Great to grab waves with you all!
Don Harris