BEACH BLVD

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by hart »

unreal post, mate

:lol: :lol:

I only ever stopped at Winchells, huh?

And the next time I hitch BB, I'll take (a) note :D

bruce

The US does many things on the left-hand-side and driving is not one of them

:)
Last edited by hart on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Brad, you rock! That was so honest. Who on here can't identify in some way, including that little car ride. Thanks for a soulful post.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I had a little Datsun truck with lettering on the back bumper that said "tourists go home, but leave your daughters." :lol: I remember Mutiny and me driving down Beach Blvd slouched real real low in our seats so our heads barely peaked over the windows. Trying to look cool I guess :roll: :lol:
Somewhere, I think it was Warner Ave. if I pulled over, waited for the green light, and got up speed to over 40mph, there was a bump at the intersection on Beach, and I could get airborne going across BB. :shock: :twisted: :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) Brad with a big "B" that was a great story!
Kava I have a similar memory coming home from work on 9/11 :cry:
MF you were always lookin to bust some huge air whether it was a bike, car, skate or surf 8)
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

When I was 13 I got my first board for Christmas, a Newport Paipo Shoe. 5'4'', 3 '' thick , single fin. You could stand on it or kneel on it. We lived in Midway City right next to Beach Blvd, across from the old K-mart. At that time I lived for surfing and used every means possible to be transported the 5 miles down Beach Blvd to go surfing. Methods I used:
1. Beg my Mom to take me
2. Hitch hike (often picked up by gay guys looking for some action. Now that would freak me out every time!)
3. ride my bike
4. ride the bus
5. make friends with older kids who could drive
6. beg my Mom some more
7. Get my Mom to drop me off on her way to work and pick me up on her way home (9 hours at the beach, several days a week).
8. Get my friends Moms to take us

I used all these methods regularly in those early days when every surf was fresh and new. Yes, I have had a close, personal relationship with Beach Blvd!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Met up with Mark this morning but didn't surf at HB. Basically unsurfable with no swell and macking high tide. Did get in a World Titles Paddle however as Mark took off to the gym.

Coming up Main on the way to my parents today I got to Beach and the memories started flooding my mind again. Main, at Beach, is where Ellis begins. As a kid, before my license, my older brother would drive us to the beach in our family's '65 Ford Galaxy 500. This often meant a little joy ride detour :shock: The first time was the best because I didn't know what was coming. As the light turned green we passed through the intersection across Beach onto Ellis where he put the pedal to the metal. In those days Ellis was a narrow two-lane road with no shoulder so as we approached the 'horizon' I got quite nervous. The unweighting was unreal but once we were fully on the downslope we had some real momentum built up, and building. As we hit the bottom where the road finally leveled out the G-forces were unreal and the laughter filled the car. Of course, once I had my license I also did this joy ride on several occasions 8)

Eventually they widened ole Ellis, flattened out the pitch, and softened the landing. Also, it just doesn't seem as high as it once used to....
Jimbo

HB

Post by Jimbo »

Brad - Scott and I surfed 9th St this morning and it really was a lot more fun than it looked. Every once in a while a set would come through. Too bad you guys did not join us.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

slow day (WEEK!) for surf...

...we were driving home up Beach from HB one summer morning and I think we had 3 or 4 in the car. It was during High School when Testosterone's raging and everyone's a surf hero and rips (at least in our minds).

My friend Pete Punsalang was a remarkable guy amonst his peers during those years. He was one of the strongest, fastest guys around but he only had modest stature. He should've and could've played sports but just wasn't into it. Fortunaltely he like riding kneeboards and was a fun part of our little crew. He was always friendly and enjoyable and although we knew he had a bit of a temper it never really came out.

Driving home the 12-13 miles to Anaheim you had the opportunity to pass and be passed by other surfers. You would always check out the sticks up on top and see who was inside. But for some reason that I never figured out Pete was taken aback by this one carload of dudes that just rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe he thought they looked at him wrong and snickered or that they were from La Habra or Whittier, which was so uncool cuz it was twice as far away from the beach than where WE lived...(teenagers right? :roll: ). Anyway, Pete had been sucking on a big red lollypop and finally he says "Hey, pull up along side of those _____!" and as the car pulled up Pete lets loose a giant red mouthful loogey across their windshield! Those guys went BALLISTIC they were so pissed off and shocked. At the next stop light the words were flying between Pete and the driver, who made the mistake of opening his car door...

In an instant Pete was there to help him out of his car and punches were being thrown, by Pete :shock: All I remember is that the poor dude had no chance as Pete had quickly "pounded him into submission" I mean :shock: I was quite shocked and couldn't quite believe my eyes. All the while joining the others in the car laughing and rooting him on (high school right?),

...and on the rest of the ride home making mental notes to do our best to remain friends with Pete 8)
rooster

Post by rooster »

Boy's,
such fun stories, I wished I lived in LA for about a half second, Diego has some similar spots, but just reading your posts takes me back to grommhood, oh to be young in the summer!!! 8) :lol: