no. shore gathering 2004

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

geo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

north shore photos

Post by geo »

Check out Chunsreef.net again "sunset Beach" galleries a couple of kneelos getting some excellent Sunset . Fiirst kneelo begins on page 10,then pages 17, 22, and 27.
BillL

Post by BillL »

Hat's off to Buddy McRay for hosting the North Shore Gathering!
This was the best Island surf trip I've been on.It was non-stop surf the whole time except for one day where it was 2-3' in the morning before it picked back up again in the afternoon! The first part of the trip was solid 8-12 and stompin, we surfed Daystar and Puena Point with few takers.To the guy whining about 7'0 kneeboards, I'd like to see you ride these waves on a 5'5" and stay on the face, I was riding a 6'3" Blast 4 fin pin tail and needed every inch of it and I usually ride 5'7"s or 5'10"s.Gnassi, the feral Aussie, is definately core,to see the boards that he rides will make you shudder thinking about the waves they were designed for.He came up with his designs completely independently from any other kneeboard influence for the last 15-20 years,so naturally they're a lot different,kind of like a curvy standup board.He's been camping out at Mokuliea since December and has only not surfed a handful of days.It was refreshing to meet such a innovative individual.
The following days my friend/brother-in-law,Dave Atkin from OB/SF and I surfed a bunch of different spots, maxing Jocko's, Mokuliea Beach Park and Puena point.I rode a 5'8" H2k fish at Puena and it flew! Imagine a wave you can go as fast as you can and carve.The board snapped off the top square-like with no deceleration,it's a lot different from a round pin where the turns are more radial and are hence more slower.
After Dave left I surfed Backyards-just like Black's! Only with longer rights and sharper bottom!I also surfed Leftovers and Sunset with few people out,I think everybody was starting to get tired and the crowd really started to thin out.You could sneak out there a catch a few and worked by a few more without 50+ people on 9'0's.
It was great being able to try your quiver on a bunch of good waves and see the differences you normally wouldn't be able to and to discuss them with Buddy and everybody else who knows where you're coming from.I've gotten a deeper hands on understanding of board design on this trip.Thanks to Buddy and his wife Ann for being generous with their local knowledge,hospitality and insight.I'm there next year for sure!LOL
Bill
Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

Paul Devoy, Mark Robertson, Danny Robertson and myself just returned from "da islands bra". As usual, we saw and surfed more excellent surf in the first three days than I have had in the last 12 months in Cali. Got several super fun sessions in at Sunset. My new 6'3'' Blast four fin Hybrid 2K(the big Cadillac) worked excellent at Sunset. Totally stable, positive and plenty loose in those waves. Thanks to Bud for his hospitality, letting us borrow his boards, turning us on to a great surf house, showing us the local knowledge as regards where to surf, etc, etc, etc.

I'll be back next winter for sure!