Kneelo class of 2007

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

RT
Local (More than 25 post)

Kneelo class of 2007

Post by RT »

First timer posting a new topic, but had to share.

For me, the greatest thing about participating in the world's this year is that both my kids (8 and 11) have told me they want to try kneeboarding...a first. Both ridden a soft longboard on their bellies almost two years ago, but no interest to repeat the experience, so I figure i ought to encourage the latest interest.

I have to give a ton of credit to mom for driving the family halfway across the state after work on a Friday night just to see old dad surf on Saturday.

Anyway, I'ts been my experience that trying to get yer own kids to try new things often gets mixed results if you don't add other factors, like bribery, peer pressure, etc., so I figure this is about a good an excuse as any to put out a call for a Spring grom gathering.

Don't know if there are a lot of kneelos in my area that know kids or others that want to try out the sport, but figure it's worth asking. I'm in Ventura County. Anyone up for a spring go at a site somewhere between
J(*a^a and Secos...maybe even a weekend campout?

All input welcome.

RT
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

depends on college schedule...but sounds fun.. 8)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
El Nino
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by El Nino »

Grom gathering? Let's make it a grom contest! I call the heat with RT's 8 and 11 year olds! :lol:
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I’m interested; I can bring a pair of ten’s. they are both very much beginners still surfing the white water. Try and schedule something that allows for our extra travel time.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'd be in with a 11 and 12 both whitewater fellas as well.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

I'll bring the BBK so that the little guys have someone to look up to. We also need Shawn and the AKC guys so that the BBK have someone to look up to. That's pretty easy because Shawn is taller than anyone including his own Dad.
C J Gagner
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by C J Gagner »

More details but I think my 14 yr old would like to. He's intimidated by contests but would like to gather though.
kage

Post by kage »

Possible 13 year old beginner. If there is someplace between north and south?
we are the knights that say knee
RT

Post by RT »

Looks like we have plenty of potential takers, so how about ideas on venue and dates?

We're a camping family, so my site suggestions are:

Lala-land (Cons: camping first come-first serve, unpredictible conditions/weather; Pros: with enough families committed could get the group site (sweet!), good middle ground between Nor Cal / So Cal, scenic beauty, beginner to advanced surf choices within walking distance)

Secos (Cons: reserving maybe a problem, S swell spot, potential crowd; Pros: good grom wave, many other close surf options)

Carp State Beach (Cons: half the campground is "condo camping", marginal surf at site; Pros: proximity to Rincon, and many other sites)

McGrath State Beach (Cons: kinda long walk to primary site--SC river-- sometimes fickle surf; Pros: many other close sites, three miles from my house)

I was thinking we could plan this for a weekend in May, possibly even Memorial Day weekend?

RT
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

Talk it over with the better half but not on mem day weekend TO MANY PEOPLE ON THE ROAD!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

RT- you pick the spot as it is your territory and you certainly know it better than I.
RT

Post by RT »

Tom,

Your guidance is more than welcome :) , as you organized the last grom gathering at O-side that I wanted to attend but couldn't.

So here are my picks of spot and dates.
J-land (ha la la la la...PM me if you're clueless about where the H*LL I'm referring or need details on anything else...).

Weekend: May 19-20, group camping facilities. (good tides and after Mother's day) Anyone bringing an RV, PLEASE let me know ahead of time to make sure we'll have space.

I need to know how many people/families will attend pretty soon, so I can make a decision on whether we can get the group camp or not.

RT
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

RT - we did a gathering there once - it was a blast!!!
RT

Post by RT »

Sorry, I jumped the gun hoping for the group camp site for J-land. It's booked every weekend through December. Should have figured...

Given the regular sites are first come, first serve, we could maybe still swing it there if one or more people were to get there mid week, like Wed or Thursday before noon (sites usually fill up by Thursday night, anytime but Winter). Unfortunately, I cannot take any more days off work until after July 15th.

If anyone is willing to do that and grab a few campsites, I'm sure there would be others willing to make it worth their while.

The only other option is to pick another place. I'll check into other locations. Most take reservations, but may not be totally booked up yet.

To be continued...
RT
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Is there anything just a little farther south? Remember we are bringing alot of little groms, they need small safe surf to have fun.