Blacks Gathering - Dec 27, 2003

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

MTBarrels
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Weather and swell...

Post by MTBarrels »

Good point Darcy!

As of this morning (Mon) the FNMOC NOGAPS model is predicting rain in the San Diego area between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, with amounts reaching perhaps an inch. Winds from the NW are also predicted, reaching 15-25 kn Friday afternoon, continuing, but weaker Saturday morning. These winds are consistent with the characteristics of the wave periods predicted by the NOAA WWIII model for the same time frame (which indicate at least one of the swells being created regionally, rather than more distantly).

The NOAA WWIII wave model is still indicating 2-3 swells present Friday; two swells Saturday; one swell Sunday.

Offshore (incident) swell directions are predicted to be running 298 deg to 314 deg Friday; 303-313 deg Saturday; 308-310 deg Sunday. While I agree with Jack that a significant amount of the incident energy will probably get close enough to the coast for Scripps and Sumner Canyons to work their magic for swells up to 305 deg, I think that there will be a lot more attenuation in swell size for a swell from 310-314 degrees.

Predicted offshore (deep water) significant wave heights are running 10-14' Friday; 11-14' Saturday; 10-11' Sunday.

Max surf hts (hypothetical, offshore, break facing into the dominant swell--although perhaps representative of Todos) are running 16-17' Friday; 23-28' Saturday; 26-27' Sunday (which are down a little from yesterday's predictions). At the coast they should be substantially smaller.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

meester Barrells,
i no stay one oceanograffer, you guys gonna get waves o wot? how beeg?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Let's not worry about the rain or wind. There is no urban storm water outfalls that discharge to Blacks. Some bumps and NW wind keeps the crowd way down and if the rips are working correctly that combo can result in the best waves you may ever catch. Also we may get lucky with a stormy Friday that goes offshore early Sat. morning.
Again, don't let weather or crowds deter you from what appears to be a solid swell for the 27th. Remember everything posted about swell, wind and rain are just forcasts, we could have Santa Ana conditions and no swell. You just won't know until you go.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Ok. Let me see if I understand this. There is a kneeboard gathering at Black's beach and there's a BIG swell forecast on the same day. Finally. How manys kneelo's is goings? What a way to cap off a good kneelo year. Wino I want to sit next to on the bus, cause you know the area.
ando
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by ando »

Being a Dapper Dan Man I have thought of a contingensy plan...another kinda plan for you soggy bottem boys ...In case of them dredded southerlys...Perhaps the shores is a good bet...
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

If the wind is hard out of the south, Scripps and the Shores should be a contingancy. If it is giant w/ south winds the Cove is always a novelty.
See you on Sat.
DarcyM

Alternates

Post by DarcyM »

Black's is a great break, but I've always wanted to surf the Cove, but have never had the opportunity to. If not this time, maybe the next time the Cove is going off we can get together so you guys can show me how it's done.

that would be so cool! Imagine a bunch of kneeriders swooping through those big lefts!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
BillL

Blacks Gathering

Post by BillL »

Hey guys,
I wouldn't worry about the conditions too much this weekend,if its a little windy the crowd factor will be way down and the surf will still be really fun, bump or no bump.The shape the last few weeks has been really good with lots of rip tides keeping everyone busy,one way or another!Unfortunately,I won't be there this weekend,I'm going to San Francisco for the holiday so I'll miss out on all the fun down there but hopefully will be getting some at OB or elsewhere.Have a gas! Happy Holidays to all. Bill Lerner
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Geez, Bill... You're coming up, I'm going down.
Yesterday was good, but the storm's hit. It's supposed to be wet all the way through. Hopefully, it'll clean up for you. Ed Quinn is up here now, may still be when you come up....
Happy Holidays!
Jack Beresford

blacks

Post by Jack Beresford »

Let's just wait and see what happens with this storm. A lot of times Blacks and Scripps are the only clean spots on the coast - this is usually when we get south winds and rain. NW may not be so good. I went down yesterday afternoon to find Dave and Jason scoring fun shoulder-high, glassy barrels. The minute I started paddling out it turned onshore and within 15 minutes it was blowing hard about 15 kts. I still had a surprisingly fun session. You just never know. As a general rule, any wind direction with an "E" in it will be clean. Let's hope for the best.

Directions to Blacks:
- I-5 exit at LaJolla Villiage Drive and go west.
- LJ Villiage turns into North Torrey Pines - follow it around in front of the UCSD campus.
- Turn left onto La Jolla Shores Drive.
- Immediate right onto La Jolla Farms Road.
- Follow La Jolla Farms until you see Blackgold Road (or a lot of cars).
- Park and walk down the private road at the intersection of Blackgold and LJ Farms.
- Walk about 1/4 mile north on the beach (unless it's huge).

Be sure to wear shoes or booties down the hill as the road is murder on bare feet!
Jack Beresford
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

Jack-

No parking time limit on Blackgold Rd?
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

... and if it's huge we may be surfing southpeak, just off the end of the road :D
ando

Re: Rex Huffman

Post by ando »

Hi Jack,
thanks for sharing the message from Rex. Seeing the pictures of him in SURFER was one of the inspirations that got me started kneeboarding back in the day. Here's wishing him a quick recovery. BTW, do you happen to know what kind of Kneeboards he rides these days? Fish, Quad, or Tri? I always remember that photo of him sitting on the reef with his quiver of Lis Fishes. Thanks,
--John Sieraski

Hey John,
Big Rock has quite a history when it comes to Kneeriding
Last time I surfed with Rex (maybe 3yrs ago) he was riding a quad shaped by Toby (Richard Pavel). Toby shapes boards that fit that wave perfectly. They are based off of Lis templates I beleive...they are around 5'5", Under twenty two wide (I think) and very fast. Rex was stillcharging when I surfed with him.

Another legend out there who doesnt get much attention is Marshall Merrimen (I think thats how you spell his last name). Marshall charges as hard as anyone out there and I heard he recently broke his neck surfing BR. I don't know if it is true but if it is heres to a speedy recovery to him aswell...

Does anyone have any pics of either of these guys? I would be stoked to see them posted...
MWROBERTSON

Photos.

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Chris,

I dug out a lot of my old mags. Every one seemed to have at least one or two shots of KBers back in the day (circa 1970's). Big Rock was a haven and those guys got a lot of photos. I wanted to put together a alblum of all these photos. I looked into scanning them and printing them here but there is too much liability/copyright violation stuff by doing that. Check out the link to the New Zeland KB site. They have a section where many of these photos are posted. I have some insane older stuff from the San Diego crew, Marshall included. If you stop by HB some day look me up and I can share them with you.
Jack Beresford

parking

Post by Jack Beresford »

No parking limitations at Blacks on weekends and holidays. It's two-hour parking during the week along LJ Farms. If you surf there mid-week and plan on surfing a while, you can park all day at the Glider port - as long as you don't mind seeing a bunch of old men in banana hammocks (or nothing at all).
Jack Beresford