Blacks Gathering - Dec 27, 2003

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTBarrels
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Parking...

Post by MTBarrels »

Thanks Jack.

That explains that--I don't go there on weekends or holidays.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
DarcyM

tomorrow

Post by DarcyM »

wasn't that big today, still very washed out. See photo from tonight in gallery. I hope it'll clean up by morning! :?
see ya there!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
MTBarrels

Sat 12/27 early AM SD wind report...turning easterly.

Post by MTBarrels »

4:30 AM Saturday, SD N County:

Winds picking up from the E. Looking promising for Blacks.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
DarcyM

Gathering pics

Post by DarcyM »

You can view some of the photos from the Black's gathering today at http://www.grandviewsurfing.com/

Conditions were fun on the right wave, but finding the right wave was a bit of a chore. Tom Backer, Mike Butler, Wayne Koppitt and Jack of course (and I think his brother, Chris?) got a lot of great waves, by my first perusal of the pics. There were two casualties, Tom Linn busted out a glassed on fin, and I busted out one of my FCS fins on the new Blast fish. :cry:

Some overhead to shoulder-high, short period wind swell, light or no wind and beautiful sunny skies. Water temp around 59, air was a chilly 40 first thing in the morning. The waves were shifty (a 9.5 on the shifty scale) from north peak on down and mostly backing off on the outside as the tide was rising. Good waves on the inside if you could find them and stay out of the washing machine. Generally smooth water, breaking all over the place, with the occassional bomb on the outside catching everyone by surprise. Jack kept ripping even after he broke his leash, check out the photos, you can see one wave where the leash is trailing loosely behind him. He got an insane barrel, as did Ler and others, too.

Digital photos are from John Eckert, Joel also took some film and will be sending them our way shortly. There is also video of the event, which will probably be posted at a later date.

Pizza was great too! Thanks guys!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Nice summary by Darcy!

I was stoked to reconnect with several friends from *20* years ago (Tom Linn, Greg Shewman, Tom Backer), and meet many new kneelos (Mark, Wayne, Mike, Darcy, Terry, Craig, and ...). Always fun to watch the B bros rip it up as usual, along with Tom B, Mike, Jason, Wayne. Even my bud Edmund Capparelli made it down :D
-Brad Colwell
DarcyM

small world

Post by DarcyM »

Brad - it was nice ta meetya too!

Funny story, small world files. You might have seen your old friend Edmund and I talking on the beach. Turns out, I've been playing volleyball at the YMCA for the last 3 or 4 years, and I've played with and seen Edmund (an excellent VB player, btw) there all that time. And all that time, I never knew that he was a kb'er (nor he I)! In fact, there on the beach was the first time we'd said more than "hey" to each other.

Fact - these gatherings really are a gathering of like souls, drawing people together (old friends and new) from near and far.

still amazed after all these years ...
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
MWROBERTSON

Backs

Post by MWROBERTSON »

It was a fun gathering guys!

There were some good outside waves to be had by all. I really enjoyed some of the inside "death pits". It became halarious watching peoples eyes pop out while dropping in! :shock: Even worse was getting caught inside trying to paddle back out through the shore pound crushers.

Pizza Port was a great meeting spot and they did us well. Good brew & Pizza.

It was a fun event and great to see everyone.

Also thanks to Joel and the other photographers who gave their skills and time.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Definitely was a good time. Good people, good vibe, good waves, a crowd of 80 percent kneeboarders, bright sunny day, some great shots taken from the beach by John and I'm sure by Joel. I'd defnitely say Saturday was a very nice post-holiday present. Kudos to Jack for getting it on the calendar and to Greg L. for setting us up at Pizza Port. Wish I could have stayed longer to talk to everyone more!

I heard scuttlebutt at Pizza Port that there may be an O-side harbor gathering in Feb. Is that going to come together?
matt cunningham

Black's gathering

Post by matt cunningham »

Hey Jack and Dave,
Matt C here

Nice job. Is that actually my large body (stocky I think Weinbaum said) on the first picture on page 2? We got out a little earlier, but I got to meet Greg Little and a couple of other guys. Nice to see Chris if only breifly. Dave, sorry I didn't take off on that one set wave, oh well, had fun in the cold, wish I could have stayed. I'll be there for the next one.

Matt Cunningham
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Matt, it may be. It's hard to tell but it looks like you. I just got to look at the pic's. Great shots of just about everyone. The best parts are the :x :shock: :D :twisted: facial expressions as people are doing turns, etc...
I'm glad everyone had a great time even though there was some minor board carnage. Next month at Salt Creek should be a blast.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

I just looked over the photos and they are excellent! A lot of rippin' goin' on there.
ando
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Missed out...

Post by ando »

Great photos of all...Chris B. just trippled his portfolio! Did you pull that Jack?!...You know the one...that is sick kneeriding...world class. This is what I am talking about...a true medium...Gnarly Blacks and you guys (and gal) delivered. Wish I could have made it. I am just relaxing after a difficult semester. I aced that accounting class that I was whining about in November so I am stoked...just gotta keep plugging away and I will graduate by the time I am fifty...LOL. Anyways, maybe next year I will make it.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Don't worry Chris, it was far from gnarly Blacks. It was more like high tide mushy Blacks with a fun and sometimes crunchy inside. Still alot of fun and we were the crowd.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Many thanks to Jack and the San Diego crew for a fun gathering, I know our north oc crew had a great time. The next time I'm down that way i'll be eatin at pizza port, great assortment of beers! Thanks to Dave W. for the Funny New Zealand stories. overnout tom