AUSSIE GATHERINGS

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

I hope everyone has disgovered the new KSA site wwwkneeboardsurfaustralia.com
This site gives all info on upcomming comps and other news along with photos and entry forms
Take a look

cheers

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
john -

Post by john - »

evening scoop - just been over at the ksa site (again!!) :D Read that kneelo-44 is a member and clicked memebership icon which details photos
so - how does one become a ksa member ?

dorje
merely labled
Techno
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

KSA Membership ???

Post by Techno »

Same question here Scoop - how do I become a member of the KSA ???

Tony "TECHNO"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
scoop

Post by scoop »

guys

You cant

It's for me and John....lol

No seriously we dont actually have membership of the KSA...we are just a body to organise events for you guys to compete in

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
hart

Where's the scoop?

Post by hart »

To the scoop..

Your first post back after Coffs Harbour and no mention of the result??..and under Aussie Gatherings??

Give us the scoop mate..

Post the results..on behalf of the KSA at least.

:)

Sleepless in Sydney
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Kyle 1st Baden 2nd Matt 3rd Smurf (first open final) 4th

I didn't go, but smurf was so excited he rang me Sunday night with th results
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Brendan
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Brendan »

I also heard on the Coffs Harbour radio station on Monday morning that Kyle also won the footy tipping contest.
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
scoop

Post by scoop »

gee thanx Bruce.... after a 7 hour drive ...quickly check the site and leave the wrong post...what do you have to do to be loved here.....lol
What a great weekend...I was totally fobuckulated (they edit rude words here) after arriving home and crashed big time...worked all day today and must thank Steeno for putting up the results...a full display will soon be up on the KSA site.
I might add in 1 mtr surf (6-7ft clean faces on sets)"Keg" won Kyles "Surfers Surfer" award and young "Nov" won the cadets and took home a brand new kneeboard donated by Dave Parkes....can I say Matty surfs way beyond his years
Can I say a HUGE thanx to all the 55 guys and 2 girlz (Cathy Prior...current world ladies champ... who took it out from the young NOVO (Mel Hodoram's daughter) esspecially those who havent competed for quite a few years or never competed before
We had great TV Radio and Newspaper coverage (Brendan...the girl on Star FM added the Kneeboarding Pro to the local tipping comp and she picked Kyle
I came last again as usual but I must say after riding on Bruces 5 fin board ..I am going to put in some effort to get fitter so I can become a performer on a performance machine...watch out guys
Thanx Bruce...your not going to get it back now you know...
An even bigger thanx goes to John (El Presidente) for the amount of work and hours he puts in...as with me...it is a passion

also to all the people that helped judging or tabulating and the people that hung around and help pack up each afternoon...you guys make it that little bit easier....THANK YOU

I will leave a few pics on this site as time allows but look at our site for updates and pics in the following days...we do have real jobs too

Tony
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

kudos to you tony.....sounds likes another successful weekend, wish i was there

dad
coach
godfather
scoop

Post by scoop »

Steen

Can I say I believe (in my limited travels) it out did the worlds final day
sorry you missed it....looks like Cronulla on the October long weekend (to be confirmed) will be your next chance to beat me in a heat...either that or we can draw blinds at a hundred paces....lol

Tony
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

lol not a good reference to worlds finals day, 2002 i guess your talking about. 1 to 2 foot wind blown shorebreak closeouts is not real hard to out do.

lets draw blinds lol.....classic

dad
coach
godfather
red

Post by red »

John, Sophie, Dorje,

I know we flirted with the idea of gathering this weekend, but weather looks foul:
NORTHERN BASS STRAIT
Friday until midnight : West to northwest wind increasing 25/35 knots this morning then backing west/southwesterly at 25/35 knots by early afternoon before easing 20/30 knots tonight. Seas rising 3 to 4 metres. West to southwesterly swell rising 2 to 3 metres.

Saturday : West/southwesterly wind easing 15/20 knots then tending west to northwesterly and increasing to 20/30 knots later.
Sunday : West/northwesterly wind 20/30 knots possibly reaching 35 knots later in the south.

I think it's going to be a case of trying to stay out of the wind - any secret spots Dorje?
Also outgoing tide first thing, so we should probably wait until midday (by which time it'll be a bit blowy, I think)
scoop

cheap air fares

Post by scoop »

guys...
here is a link to an aussie site that is offering flights from LA to Aust from $999 aussie dollars return
thats about $US 700

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bin/2 ... tails=3041

what are you waiting for

get on down here ya'all

Tony
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

And once you get here, do we have some waves for you!!
Our Fall (Sept - Dec) is one of the best times for quality waves. Water temps are still nice and we've seen it go 45 days in a row without dropping below 4-5 foot.

The US KB Championships are mid-November..........
kbing since plywood days
red

Red's Coopers Cup Gathering - prelim to the PI Classic

Post by red »

Friday dawned just as the weather report said it would - sunny with a blustery onshore. Only thing not going to plan was my broken down car and sick partner - lucky for the midday scheduled start.

Arrived at the Wooly carpark on the first stroke of midday to be greeted by the welcome sight of a line of cars packed with kneeboarders. A cheer went up as I placed the case of ice-cold Coopers for all to see - the coming reward!
The wind was lifting sand from the dunes and sandblasting the cars with it. The tide was low and the surf strong and disorganised. No one was interested in tackling the beachbreak, but everyone wanted to surf. The buzz in the carpark was palpable - let's find a wave and go surfing, then drink some Coopers.

The contingency plan kicked in. We postponed for a couple of hours and met again at a protected reefbreak. The tide was too low and the reef was exposed in places when the first few paddled out. Within minutes there were 10 kneeboarders out there dealing with the washing machine take off zone and finding clean faces for cutties, reos and all sorts of other stuff.

Farrer arrived and was out there as soon as he could pry his kids off his board. Troy and Abert watched a bit then joined in and the game was on. Dave Parkes and Jamie McKew arrived and were in the water in minutes. The dust had barely cleared when Mike and Matt Novokov fronted and ran out to get their share.

Steen remained in the sanctuary of his car, prefering to view the spectacle of some of the best kneeboarders free surfing in the same spot. A passel of other guys barely stopped for intros before hitting the water. I can remember far fewer than I forget. Mark McCloed, Jim Brown, Deon, Neil Owen, Phil Arthurs, Gary, Robby, Adam...The list must have been long because the carpark was crammed with about 20 cars, each packed with a delegation of kneeboarders and boards.

The surfing? It was great fun. The vibe was sensational. No heavy hassling, heaps of hoots and whistles, some superb wipeouts, a number of low oxygen aerials, and spray, gouges and slashes everywhere. There was a definite air of "Watch this - this is what I'm going to do to you in our heat tomorrow." Dazz arrived with a monster of a camera about half way through and captured a tape load of ripping kneeboarding.

After 2 hours or so the clock started to wind down and guys started taking the 10 minute paddle to shore. They changed and congregated in little groups around the carpark, revelling in the late afternoon sun and relative shelter provided by the surrounding bushland. It took the drastic measure of cracking a case of Coopers to get them to congregate in one spot.

Once everyone had a Coopers Red (the best beer in the world - no preservatives, artificial colourants or non-beer ingredients) in hand nominations wre taken for most outstanding rider in the session. Because of the frenetic nature of the event surfers who were in the water watching the action first hand could nominate as well as those who had only spectated. Sparrow, Troy and Albert were nominated from a cast that included past world, Australian and state champions. It was tight, but Sparrow had edged Troy aside for top spot and Albert had to be content with being in highly esteemed company.

Sparrow got his case of Coopers (still cold, I might add, owing to the marvels of cardboard insulation) and Troy his sixpack. They both promptly broke them open and offered them round. It was a happy group of kneeboarders who stood in the carpark, gently lighted by the glow of the evening sun (looked rather like a beer ad), making and renewing aquaintance, reliving the session and generally sprouting the blarney.
Last edited by red on Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.