Future East Coast Gathering?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)

Future East Coast Gathering?

Post by Stephen Michael »

I realize that the crew down under has gatherings and clubs down to a science, and Bud has done wonders pulling together the international crew.The west coast does a great job with lots of kneeboarders......but what about the EAST COAST?
From Hatteras to Florida and many other locales produce outstanding consistant waves. Hurricane season runs from June to November and can pump endless juice when they crank off the eastern seaboard.
With that in mind, I would like to float the idea of an east coast gathering in August or September.
I know there are kneeboarders on the east coast and you guys "mentioned above" have set an outstanding example of keeping our sport alive.
Let me know your thoughts and/or ideas.
Thank you
Stephen
Stephen
Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Eric Carson »

Stephen,
That's an excellent idea. Let me know if I can help to organize something.
The Outer Banks can be epic in late August and September, but the closest airport is Norfolk and then its another 1.5 hour drive to Nags Head and another hour to the fabled Hatteras Light and the groins of Buxton. I know because I'm originally from Va. and made the drive too many times to count.
What about Central Florida ? Delta flies to Melbourne and it's 10 minutes to Mel Beach and 30 to Sebastian Inlet Spanish House etc. Hurricane Kyle blessed Brevard County for 10 days with overhead tropical juice. I heard Mayport poles and Villano up your way were epic as well.
-Eric-
Stephen Michael

If we build it...will they come?

Thanks Eric...
Yes.....I would love to work on this with you. The first challenge is to continue to "reach out" to locate kneeboarders on the east coast. Hopefully, someone out there knows someone an can guide them to this site.
Thanks for watering the idea. Anyone else out there who can support/assist to bringing this idea to reality.
Rome was not build overnight.....
Stephen
Stephen
barkingwave
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

other locations as well

Post by barkingwave »

checking in from Portland Maine where we do get swell although not as predictable as locations below cape cod, Providence Air port 1/2 hour drive to Pt Judith quite a few spots down there (a few kneelos as well). Long Island (Rockaway) 1/2 hour drive from Kennedy. These are simply suggestions.
regards
Peter
Stephen Michael

Thanks Peter

Maine.....wow.That is one beaufiful place, but I'll bet chilly......Getting to sound like NC is a cental point.You guys probably get some macking swells in late summer to early fall from the tropical stuff.
Stephen
barkingwave

east coast

Post by barkingwave »

chilly = yes indeed water temp 37degrees, excluding hurriacane season winter is the time when it is the best. You can still ride and be the only one out at certian breaks if that is your desire. cape Hatteress sounds great for a get together. One quick question for you, what shapes are you ridding?

peter
Stephen Michael

I ride a Blast 5'10 Squash quad tail and a (Locally made) ROZO 5'10 quad rounded swallow tail which is my favorite all around board. Do you know any other kneeboarders on the east coast you can contact.
Are you available for late summer in Hatteras ?
Stephen
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

An East Coast Gathering is so cool. the kneelo bros contine to organize and expand! As a member of the KSUSA Executive Committe, let me know if there is anything at all we can do to help you East Coasters connect. Perhaps we could create a separate listing for the East Coast to help you guys communicate with one another.

cya in the H2O.........Tom Linn (tklinn@aol.com)
Stephen Michael

Brotherhood down low....

Many thanks Tom. An east coast rep on the committee, or continue to build the regions as you said. Keep it moving......This is really exciting!
Stephen
Stephen Michael

Information on Hatteras

Some data for your viewing pleasure......

Hatteras Light House North America, USA South East, North Carolina
Characteristics of the spot

Quality
Wave quality > Regional classic, don't miss it
Experience Required > Experienced surfers
Frequency >

Wave
Type > Beach-break
Direction > Right and left
Power > Hollow, fast, powerful, fun,
Length Normal Day > Normal (50 to 150m)
Length Good Day > Very long (300 to 500 m)
Bottom > Boulders
Tide & Swell
Tide Position > All tides
Tide Movement > Rising and Falling Tides
Swell Size > Starts working at less than 1m - 3ft and holds up to 5m / 16ft and over
Swell Direction > North, NorthEast, East,
Wind Direction > NorthWest, West, SouthWest,
Access

Go to Cape Hatteras and take the road to the Cape Hatteras Light House and make a left at the end of the street and you are there.
Distance > Take a week end
Walk > Instant access (<5mn)
Easy to Find ? > OK
Public Access ? > Public access
Special Access > 4x4

More Details
Crowd during the Week > Few people
Crowd on the Week-end > Few people
Hazards > Urchin, rips, man-made danger (buoys etc...), locals,
Stephen
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

I can weigh in on long Island. this place is tough on beach acess from june till september. all the localities sew up beach acess, residents only ect, the traffic to montauk is horrendous and the prices on the east end strato... that said things loosen up late sept. local knowledge is so important in the east. if hattaras is the call, or florida, or maine, i'm up for travel... know another who might be as well. what about pr or barbados or tortola?
Dave K.

Post by Dave K. »

Wow. This is so cool watching you guys get together like this. Ive always wanted to surf Hattereas so if I win the lottery Ill join ya.
Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

I would love to join you guys on the right coast.
I always wanted to check out Hatteras.
I gotta pull some serious strings in order to attend.
I only get in a couple of trips a year, and my boards are in SoCal.
With that in mind: Is it fairly consistent out there at that time of year?
Do we need a hurricane, or are there other sources for swell?
Does it blow out easy?
Oh yea, am I invited? :wink:
Dean
Stephen Michael

Moving forward on a site/date

OK...so there is interest. I am beginning to research lodging as well as nailing down a date in the fall. October ? We'll see.
BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. Why you ask...as of this post, more people have viewed this topic (over 200 ). Stay tuned my fellow low riders!
Stephen
Stephen
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

so cool to see the east kneelos organize spontaneously! Regarding a date for an East Coast Gathering, keep in mind that the KSUSA US Titles and kneelo festival will be held on Nov 7-8 in Santa Cruz. We would be very stoked if there was some east coast representation there.

Also, can you guys get together and nominate someone to represent the east for the KSUSA Executive Committee.