Salt Creek Gathering 1/24/04

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Salt Creek Gathering 1/24/04

Post by Tom Linn »

Salt Creek Gathering. Could be excellent tubes well suited to kneeriding this time of year. Due to high cliffs and off shore kelp it rarely blows out. Tides are perfect for this date as well. I am usually the only kneelo out and would be very stoked to have the kneelo hordes descend on my local break. Sean Noone surfs here regularly as well.

Salt Creek is located in South Orange County directly below the Ritz Carlton at Monarch Beach. Check the Ritz website for directions. Public parking is adjacent to the Ritz.

We can hang together afterward at the Starbucks next to the parking lot or have a BBQ at my house afterward. I live about 1 mile from The Creek.

Salt Creek consists of a large cove bounded by a rock jetty/point on the south and a large headland on the north. In the winter the rock point generates a fickle righthander. Perfect 150 yard barrels occur several times a winter here. The very creative locals have dubbed this spot, " The Right Off The Point". The next spot down is in the middle of the beach and consists of 2-3 fun beachbreak peaks. Nice tube rides are common. Once again creativity abounds, the spot is called "Middles".

The next spot down (Gravels) consists of several peaks and is the most likely spot for us to surf. Most north or west swells produce gnarly, thick barrels which are perfect for serious tube riding and kneeriding. The waves get thicker and smaller as you move north.

"Heroins" is a large Sunset Beach style break that comes off the headland. It only breaks every other leap year so I would not count on surfing it, but, if its huge we can hope for something magical.

cya in the H2O......................Tom Linn
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Hi Tom,
Count me in. See ya at the point.

Mike
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I'll see if I can get a hall pass. If so, it could mean securing my folks place in Monarch Bay... with telescope view and 10 minute walk.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

May need to move the post gathering party to Bob's place in Monarch Beach. BBQ includes view of surf which may force multiple go outs. Hope you don't mind Bob.
Ed Dimick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Ed Dimick »

Tom:

I planning on being there. Haven't surfed Salt Creek in a long time-looking forward to it.

Ed
Jon Manss

count me in

Post by Jon Manss »

Tom, this might work for me I'll see who else wants to go from the SC area. Hey Scott what are you doing on the 24th? Jon
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Jon,
It would be very cool if some of you SC guys made it down. You are welcome to stay at my house if you need a place to stay..........................................Tom
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The stars are aligning for using Monarch Bay. Tom, are you heading up for the OB gathering? We could chat about details then...
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Bob,
Can't be there for OB. Call me if you want to chat. Also, I will be in Belmont on 12/24....................Tom
albert

Post by albert »

This gathering sounds good, sorry I cant be there. Will be back in Oz by then.

But what happened to doing the Surf Bowl?
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Hey Albert, good to hear from you! No idea what's up with the Surfer Bowl. No word on that has gone out. We are planning on setting up two KSUSA recommended events that are put on by the WRSA soon. That way there will be 3-4 contests a year for kneelos on the West Coast.

Also, had two sessions at Salt Creek last week in which the waves were similar to my "avatar" photo shown by my name. Crowds were minimal, especially down the beach just past Gravels. Big, fun tubes all the time.
Jon Manss

Hi Tom

Post by Jon Manss »

I surfed with Don and we talked about making it down for the Salt Creek gathering. I would definately like to go. I have one small problem. My board. I need a little more surface area if the waves are below 4 feet. I would love to try some designs and rides as long as I don't destroy them. Thanks for the invite. Jon
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Jon, I have an extra small wave board (a Parkes quad swallow, 23.5 wide) that I'm sure you would enjoy. Also, I will try to bring several boards down to the beach that we can play around with.
Jon Manss

Thanks Tom

Post by Jon Manss »

Thanks Tom I'll take you up on that. If we can get around a DVD player and moniter, I've got Aussie comp highlights given to me from Kenny. I know it'll arouse alot of interest. It's an exellent production with fantastic footage and great down under music. Jon