Salt Creek Gathering 1/24/04

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Salt Creek Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Maybe the Laguna Reef hotel?
It's right across from the Montage Hotel, which is big $$$.
However, you can cross the street for a cocktail and enjoy...
It's a couple miles from Creek.
ScottMac

Salt Creek Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Scott,
Stoked to see that you are committed to come down. Let me know if you arrive early or stay later and we can surf other days as well, or, set-up some evening entertainment. The Laguna Beach nightlife can be interesting....................Tom

PS: Surfed the "right off the Point" yesterday. Waves were head high (6"faces) barrels. I got several waves in which I was slotted in the tube for at least 60 yards. The combination of thickness and down the line drive resembed a shorter version of Kirra Point. At noon there were about 12 guys in the line up, hot, sunny, deep glassy super clear water. You could see guys in the tube from behind the wave!
stemple

Post by stemple »

Sounds sweet Tom,

I may be down in that neck of the woods at that time, but I won't know for a few weeks. I just stashed a board in So. cal office. Translucent barrels are beckoning!!
ScottMac

Salt creek gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Salt Creek Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

We had several excellent days before and during Christmas. The Right had 3-4 classic days, 4-6' faces, 70 yard barrels, the sand buildup there is excellent right now. Gravels has not really come on. Most of the swells have had too much West in them for classic Gravels. For the last 4-5 days it has been pretty flat. It has only blown out two days in the last month. Generally smooth and glassy all day, water is really clear. Salt Creek recently received an A+ water quality report from the Surfrider Foundation. Crowds have been moderate although it can get very crowded on a good day. Midday crowds are usually pretty mellow.

The Creek is one of the few spots that likes a high tide. Gravels in particular is best on a high tide. Middles can be good on a high tide as well. The Right is best on an extreme low tide in my opinion. On 1/24 the tides are forecast for a pushing high tide peaking at 10:30, followed by an extreme low tide in the afternoon. My hope is for good Gravels in the morning, a nice lunch with the kneelo crew, followed by a session at the Right at low tide in the late afternoon for those who want to stick around. Let's keep our fingers crossed for some solid NW swell and nice weather. It doesn't have to be big to be good. Anything in the 4+ range should provide some excitement.
ScottMac

Salt Creek Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Looking at Wetsand (very skeptically...,) Friday and Saturday should have, as they call it, 6-9/10ft face surf. I was trying to nail down either Monday or Friday as a day off. With this forecast, I'll head down late Thursday. That makes Friday a surf day. Anyone interested in hooking up, shoot me a message...
- Bob
ScottMac

Salt Creek Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Scott,

Don't believe everything you read on wetsand. The NWS says partly cloudy and low probability of rainfall.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Here's a few details for the Gathering:

Apres Surf- Bob Schiff has been gracious enough to offer up his parent's Monarch Bay summer home for the kneelo apres surf hang-out. This beautiful home is just up the beach from Gravels. It has excellent views of the surf at Salt Creek. Monarch Bay is a private community and your name must be listed with the guard in order to get in. We will have a clipboard on the beach with driving directions. Any one who wants to BBQ at Bob's should put their name on the clipboard for the guard. The BBQ will be pot luck. Please bring your own meat, drinks, beer, etc, etc. We will supply condiments, dishes, potatoe chips, and a limited supply of beer, drinks, dogs, burgers and buns.

Also, please bring any kneelo video and photos. Bob's house does have a TV for our viewing pleasure.

Directions-
If coming from the south and therefore heading north on I5, exit the "Beach Cities" off ramp at Dana Point, the off-ramp turns into PCH. follow PCH for 2-3 miles. Turn left at Niguel Road at corner with Starbucks, proceed 1 block to Salt Creek parking lot which is directly across from the Ritz Carlton.

If coming from the north and therefore heading south on I5, exit at Crown Valley Parkway in Mission Viejo, turn right and proceed on Crown Valley about 4 miles to PCH, turn left on PCH and take the first right into the Salt Creek parking lot.

From the parking lot walk down the access road about 100 yds. Look for kneelos, most likely at Gravels which is about 100 yards north of where the access road ends or at Middles which is directly in front of where the access road ends. I will have two yellow kneeboards stuck in the sand to designate our meeting point.