OB Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

OB Gathering

Post by stemple »

I just checked the long range forecast for what its worth. It looks like nice weather and long period swell could be in store for the gathering. Stormsurf is estimating 9 to 10 foot. There is some potential for a weak cut off low to move through on thursday but should clear out by saturday. It looks like good surf is headed our way.

How was the southland this weekend?
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

It was fun. Not nearly the swell being hyped by the media but still plenty of waves. Some 2X sets, good shape up and down the beach. Kind of weird though, strong low tide rip resulted in a lot of paddling in circles.
Don
Admin

OB Gathering....

Post by Don »

NOTE: This still stands as of 3:00 Thursday 12.11.03

OK... we will have swell that's for sure, but the winds are what we need to watch...

I've got a committment from 8:00 - 10:30 that will require me to be away from the beach on Saturday, but Bob Schiff will lead the charge ... I'll plan on being down at the beach at 7:00 to check it out and find a sand bar and can take photo's and video until 7:45. I'll be in the water for the mid-morning session.

Where to meet:
VFW's at beach side parking lot right in front of the Chalet between Lincoln and Fulton on Great Highway.
When:
Sat - 7:00 AM ... if the waves / weather hold we could end up surfing all day.
Sun - CANCELLED
Lodging:
Check Roberts Motel (low budget but right next to Zoo / Sloat)
Family Activities:
Well, theres always the Zoo, Union Square, and the typical SF touristy things to do... (and I do them often as it's a great city!!!)
Post Surf Activities:
Still looking for a location... One possibility is my home which is 15 minutes from the surf and we can do the video / lunch / afternoon session pretty easily...

NOTE: (Disclaimer) It's still too early to predict with any accuracy how the conditions will be... Thursday night we should be able to have a better read. So, for now just know that OB can throw you just about anything between perfection and misery.... Anyone attempting to surf OB is doing so at their own risk.
Last edited by Don on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Harris
albert

Post by albert »

Just to make sure, I want to know if we are having the Ocean Beach, San Diego Gathering at the Surf Bowl in 2004?

If anyone out there knows, please let me know. I would love to do it on my way back to Oz.

Can't say I am in a pretty spot at the moment, sitting in front of a computer at 3am because I cant sleep (jetlag), surf is pumping and American Airlines lost my boards (on a borrowed board bag no less, sorry Steeno!!!).

Anyway boys, let me know whats up with Surf Bowl...

See ya
Albert
stemple

Post by stemple »

Looks like it may rock for the OB gathering. Break out the guns and paddle like you mean it!!!

Blakestah's call on friday

Dec 12 mid-day. New swell is in, winds are light offshore. It is 20 second energy from 305 deg, DOH. Tomorrow will be heavier with 20 and 17 second energy mixed, and another foot or two on the buoy - 8-9 ft. Sparse sets. Paddle makeable. Don't know if winds are coming up later yet, it may wait till after dark. A full day of rhino chasing, with SE offshores. Sunday looks like the day of the front, with strong southerlies followed by strong northerlies. Then, Monday, high pressure comes, and winds turn offshore, before they stop Tuesday. Swell will drop down to "no longer outer bars" later Tuesday, before another, substantial, round of juice on Wednesday. There is a lot of gun surfing coming up. Keep em waxed and ready. Do your Christmas shopping Sunday and/or Monday, b/c today, tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday look fantastic.
scoop

best wishes

Post by scoop »

wishing you all at the OB gathering a great time and huge sets....(though its over by now) well....I hope it was a great day guys...and with my thoughts it will be even better in the morning....I've seen it going off so there is every chance....its been a balmy 90f here in Sydney the last few days and looks like hanging around for a few more
Take care guys
Tony :D
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
ScottMac

Ocean Beach gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

OK. We want details. How was it? Too BIG to ride. Alot of kneelo's??? Do tell.

Ler
Jon Manss

Hi mike

Post by Jon Manss »

OK Ler the truth and nothing but the truth from me. I slept in and didn't get there until 10.30 so the die hards were already gone, but I was able to hook up with Don and Scott W. OB was side shore on the verge of onshore no fun and no good for me, Don didn't like it either. We headed South back towards Santa Cruz with stops on the way. Our first stop Pacifica Home of the long board,except out on the South point there was this large left. Scott thought it was worth a closer look so we went out to the point and were confronted with a wave that should have come out of an island highlight reel. I said Yeah Now, let's go! But Scott and Don wanted to stay and watch a few more and maybe go out. They both came to the conclusion that if we haven't even heard of anybody surfing this spot maybe it might not be the best day to test triple over head. So we headed South. I have a question for you all. How do you keep a Ler in suspence? That's all from me for tonight. Jon