Florida Gathering?

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

ROCKTJOK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by ROCKTJOK »

Eric, what is the time line for the gathering? Where are we meeting? Need any help setting up?
Yak back

Milon
Cocoa Bch Fla
Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Eric Carson »

My home # is 321-728-5785 cell 321 749-0394.
My address is 252 Fay Dr. Indialantic.
From Jax Beach, go south on 95 towards Melbourne. Once you see the exit for Satellite Beach, your almost there. The next exit is Eau Gallie Blvd, the first exit for "Melbourne and beaches". Go east on Eau Gallie to A1A, turn right (south) and proceed for about 3 miles. Look for the Quality Suites Hotel on the oceanfront. Turn left directly accross from the hotel on Coconut Dr. You'll see a new Remax building on the corner. Go 100 yards and take your first right on Neptune. Go another 100 yards and turn left on Fay Dr., my street. I'm the 4th house down on the right, yellow with green shutters, and a black Volvo on the street. Basically, it's about 300 yards due west of the Quality Suites.
I contacted another local kneeboarder, Joe, who lives only a few miles down the road, and he's stoked about the gathering. Altogether, we have 8 kneeboarders and a few others coming. The waves are predicted to be chest to overhead with winds from the NE 10-15 on Sat. and E 10-15 on Sunday. Sunday should be better wind wise, and we have lots of options on where to surf. It could be really fun at the end my street!
I'll be home all morning, and the plan is to meet here around noon, or before.
My wife has a friend visiting from Sweden, so the guest bedroom is occupied. Our 3 year old will be in my room, so there's one other room and lots of floor space. I have a new queensized air mattress and a killer power pump. Bring bedding.
See you guys soon!
-Eric-
P.S. The swedish women are going to make an awsome strawberry cake for us!
Last edited by Eric Carson on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Stephen Michael »

Packing up and headed south....and leaving the wet suit behind.

Thanks for putting this together Eric!

Stephen
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Eric,

You sent me some awfully good coffee last year from a visitor from Sweden I think... I'd put in an order for some of that brew if it's not to late to have it tag along.

Let me know how much and if it's available.

Cheers,

D
Don Harris
Stephen Michael

Post by Stephen Michael »

Don
If I knew you were such a coffee lover, I would gladly bring you back some of Costa Rica's best on one of my trips..........Hope life is smiling at you.
Stephen
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

The first Florida gathering was a success! We had seven kneeboarders and one footsursurfer (Man-O-War's son Luke).
The waves were very ripable, chest to overhead thanks to a groundswell that started really filling in Friday night. Unfortunately, the wind got on it too, blowing 10-15 all weekend.
Saturday morning, after a quick check at the end of my street, we decided to head up north to Patrick Air Force Base, where we surfed Tables. We all scored some fat high tide waves and the only mishap occured when Wilkirkdrive cranked a hard bottom turn and blew out an FCS MRX carbon fiber fin. Kirk's session was cut short, but he had extra fins back at the house. He also got the furthest traveled award-all the way from Texas!!
After lunch and a quick viewing of Crystal Voyager , we walked down the street to surf Quality Suites. Low tide helped to jack up the faces giving us plenty of long lines to work with.
Tumak let me ride his balsa paipo board, and I couldn't resist kneeriding it-sweet board!!
Man-O-War's style, developed on his black (Greenough) single fin, was really noticable on his Flashpoint.
Andy Benzilla ripped, as usual!
Dan Elward was a wave magnet. Bob Woyshner snagged a few on an F2K Blast and had nothing but praise for the design. Joe Chiscon biked over with his homemade kneeskateboard. Joe's been kneeboarding since 70's, he's not online, just quietly doing his own thing. He was stoked to see the Sparrow video too.
We finished up with a BBQ and a few well earned brews.
Thanks to everyone for making this gathering a success!! See you guys soon!
Last edited by Eric Carson on Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man O' War

A Great Event

Post by Man O' War »

ALL,

In a 1998 Surfer's Journal that Eric had out on the coffee table, there was an article you've probably already seen entitled, "Kneeboarders--An Endangered Species." At one point it says, "The quality and depth of American skill is at an all-time low, and there are few forums, such as contests, left to reverse the trend. There haven't been any groups hosting kneeboard-only events in the U.S. since the late 1980's..."

Enter Don Harris and KSUSA. Our FL Gathering was a direct result of this website and a complete reversal of the above quote. Thank you, Don!

Thank you, Eric, too. You're a great host, and your gracious wife Ana and her photographic friend Linda, Nils the Nature Boy, and Noosa the Dog Genius all added to the hospitable atmosphere of your home.

It was so great being out in the water with all these guys. They're hungry, they really hussle, they attack, they love it. I now have a permanent mental image of each one ripping in his unique way. Eric has done a nice job of summarizing our riding and the event. The conversation was great, so was the food. We did miss Stephen & Zack, Milon, Dan B, and Jane but hope to have them with us next time.

As we drove off, my 16-year old standup said, "Those guys are cool."

MOW

[/i]
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

The Florida Gathering is a huge step in re-igniting kneeriding and putting people in touch with each other to share waves and good times (despite my lack of acknowledgement on the home page :oops: )

My only regrets are:

1) I didn't post this with proper promotion on the homepage and
2) I wasn't there 8)

Next planned event PM me and I'll make sure I get you the links to the calendar and forum.

Cheers and the pics look warm and enviting.

Don
Don Harris
LifeguardIRC

Me and my Dean

Post by LifeguardIRC »

Scored some nice head high sets with nice drops. It was great being out there and seeing other kneeboarders on waves. This was a first for me!
I am new to the form, but old in surfing. I have both enjoyed bodyboarding and surfing over the past 20 years, but being on knees combines the best that both have to offer. Eric is a great host and fun and good memories where had by all. I want to say hi to all the new friends I made during the event, Man-o-war & Luke, Andy, Kurt, & Chris. Look forward to another gathering, be safe and may you find waves. Dan
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Dan,
It was great meeting you too.

I'm with you on another gathering. How about Abaco for Xmas? I'm working on it.

MOW
Scott

Abaco

Post by Scott »

Man O'War,

I may be up for that location, especially to join all the east coasters. Keep me posted.
Man O' War

Abaco For Xmas

Post by Man O' War »

Ice Man,
The welcome mat is already out. We could use a good ambassador from the West. Have any friends you want to bring along? If this is as good as it looks, except for the fire coral and a few sharks, it will be well worth the long flight.

For a map and spot-by-spot descriptions, please go to

www/wannasurf.com/spot/Central_America/Bahamas/index.html

Be sure to check the posts.

I'll know more after I talk to a friend of son #2 this weekend, a student from Abaco who's surfed it and is living here in the Springs. We also have an LCMS pastor from Abaco, believe it or not.

Yes, I'll keep you in the loop. It's a little early to call this a gathering, though. The lodging, boats, and airfares all have to line up, and understandably my FL brethren have yet to commit. Most of them are looking west, not east, over the horizon to Costa Rica.

Wishing you big waves and warmth,
MOW
Scott

Post by Scott »

If this is as good as it looks, except for the fire coral and a few sharks, it will be well worth the long flight.
Sharks? No way I'm goin' there if the possibility exists for sharks!

Just kiddin. Actually, Cosa Rica could be nice to. You've got the spanish to be everyone's interpreter if needed.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Ice,
Good idea, but from what I've seen everyone on ksusa already knows the basics: cerveza, policia, estoked, Alberto. I'm trying to keep my sights turned east. The Bahamas are a kind of Ranch.

Regards,
Tu hermano

"El que no teme el mar ciertamente se ahogará,
mas el que sí le teme se ahogará de vez en cuando solamente."
(Lord Byron)
willkirkdrive

thanks all around

Post by willkirkdrive »

What a great time last weekend. I would like to thank Eric for hosting such a great gathering, and man I still feel bad about bustin’ your fin like that (especially since it cost me what looked like a beautiful wave). Thanks to Chris for letting me bum that early morning ride out to Tables. Kudos to Andy for suggesting lunch, that Barney Bowl sure hit the spot.

As the crowd grew for the afternoon session, it was great to see that the camaraderie stay the same. Everyone seemed genuinely excited about being together and catching some great waves. It only took me 22 years to surf with another kneeboarder, and I was stoked by everybody’s ability and skill. I appreciate everybody’s willingness to take in this stranded soul from north central Texas and I look forward to our paths crossing again. It took me 14 hours to get out of Miami on Sunday and even then I ended up in Houston for the night and didn’t get back to DFW until 7am on Monday. But it was worth every minute.

Thanks again to Eric, Chris, Andy, Mark, Luke, Dan, Bob and Joe. And how could we forget the thanks for the Swedish Girls and their Swedish National Summer Cake? Lets see another gathering bet that.