Hatteras Sept. 8-15

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Landlocked
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Landlocked »

Wow that was fun!
Thank you Doug and Bruce.
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

What timing! Somebody talk about it.
capesurf

Post by capesurf »

Those guys caught a solid week of waves. Their week started out with a fairly small but fun chest high SE swell with long rides.

Midweek when it was blowing a gale out of the NE and out of control they were still able to duck around the corner to Frisco and catch head high wrap-around waves with stiff offshore winds. The next day the wind backed off and we had sets of up to triple-overhead on the North beaches, but the current was horrendous, so it was back to the South beaches for more manageable surf.

The rest of the week remained solid chest dropping down a bit at the end until their week was up. I believe they left super-stoked and reluctant to leave, but very satisfied.

BTW, all wave sizes are stand-up measurements.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Word! What a week. We went from blustery overhead surf the (paddling for hours against a 3 knot current trying to hold on 1st jetty), to super hollow Frisco pipes in howling offshore wind, to solid, thick, spitting head+ Hatteras glass after the storm moved back up north for the second time, and the wind quieted down. Water 76, Air 80s, felt super to just trunk it when the sun was out. Waves every day, just waited out the tide, and went to the South vs East- facing sides, wherever the wind was offshore, to hit the best spots. So great to meet, hang, and surf with Dean and Bruce, compare boards and styles. Also learned a few new spots, courtesy of Bruce. I'll post all the pics this weekend after I receive a few more from my nephew, sort them out and format for posting.
Doug

PS Same time next year!
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
jimithesaint

Post by jimithesaint »

Glad to hear you guys scored all week! Hey Bruce how is the new board working for you?

I was disappointed I couldn't make it down to Buxton to surf and hang out with you guys, work and family stuff conspired against me this time.

I managed to get a couple hours of surf in on Friday and Sat

Doug good idea to change from last years time :D

Jimi
capesurf

Post by capesurf »

jimithesaint wrote: Hey Bruce how is the new board working for you?
I love it, love it, love it!
I should have switched over to a kneeboard years ago. It's a shame it took a bad back to force me to convert to a kneelo. I never realized what you guys were in to.
I've found I have 2 new mottos; "No take-off is too late" and "It's always at least head-high."
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Jimi,
We missed you but made sure to eat at the AC Cafe in Rodanthe on the way out...
This is def the time frame from now on 8)
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George