Any takers for a Wintertime Baja Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Any takers for a Wintertime Baja Gathering

Post by WillP »

Anyone interested in a possible baja gathering before winter's over? Baja Malibu, Salsipuedes, San Miguel, even Las Gaviotas get super fun during this time of year. Anyone interested let me know.

Cheers,

Will
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

Sounds GOOD, but winter is rapidly ending :cry: I'm not looking forward to the summer mobs. What time are you considering?
WillP

Post by WillP »

Wayne,

I realized that winter was almost over about 2 seconds after I submitted this post. Since the Bolsa gathering is March 20, I guess I should have called this an early spring baja gathering. How does the first weekend of april sound? I agree with you that as soon as mid-april arrives the springbreakers arrive with it and there goes the empty lineups, but who knows, we might get lucky. Baja has been very very good to me this season. My folks have a house at Las Gaviotas that can hold about 6 or 7 people. The place serves as a great base camp for quick trips to spots north and south. Just let me know if that date sounds good to you and i'll write something up and submit it to Don for posting.

Take it easy,

Will
Ler

Baja Gathering

Post by Ler »

I would be in. We should do it very soon.

Mike
WillP

Post by WillP »

Here's the same details that will be posted soon.

When: April 2,3, and 4 2004.

Where: We’ll be staying at my family’s beach house at Las Gaviotas. Arrive anytime after 10 a.m. on the 2nd and leave anytime on the 4th. There is limited space at Las Gaviotas so please get in touch with me as soon as possible if you’re interested.

Surf Spots: Northern Baja is home to hundreds of surf spots. Baja Malibu, Salsipuedes, San Miguel, even Las Gaviotas get super fun this time of year and are just a taste of what’s out there.

Anyone interested please contact me at Srfrdr20@aol.com or call me at (310) 738-3247. This is kind of short notice but it could be a great time.

Note: I’ve been down to Baja just about every weekend this winter and the place has delivered fun waves almost every time.
matt cunningham
Local (More than 25 post)

Baja ha ha ha

Post by matt cunningham »

Will P

I'm in, Matt Cunningham here. Is this Will, Pat and Tim Hurley's stepbro from the old Palos Verdes days?

Matt Cunningham :? :?
WillP

Post by WillP »

Nope I'm not that Will. I'm only 24. Wasn't even born when those guys were surfing PV. Do you know Joel Mayer, Matt Kalin, or Fred Melon? They still surf up there regularly and lived up there during the time period you mentioned in your e-mail. Anyway, I think with you included, the house is full. The house can only accomodate about 8 people. Usually I wouldn't stress about having more folks come down but the administration there at Las Gaviotas has been cracking down on the overcrowding. I'll send directions and a list of things you should bring, later on this week. Let's pray for surf, cuz if not, we'll have to pray that the liquor store across the street doesn't run out a cerveza. Some of the people that have contacted me still aren't 100% sure that they can make it, but i'll keep everyone posted if spots open up.

Take it easy...

P.s. Hey I think the meter on the wave machine just ran out. Someone put some change in the thing!
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Will, Unfortunately I'll be unable to attend. Your Gaviota house is deluxe. I just missed you this past fall at the gathering. Next time. Thanks for sharing! Wayne
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

Although it's kind of short notice, is there any chance of moving this forward to next weekend--March 27, 28? The NOAA WW III model is indicating a good sized NW swell (299 degrees) peaking Friday night (3/26) and continuing into Saturday morning [the end of the current forecast period--but I would expect considerable energy to still be present Sunday]

It appears to be a rebuild of a swell that first peaks Thursday morning, fades a little Friday morning, then rebuilds.

Current predictions:

Wed 3/24
22:00 - 302deg - 16.2 sec - 4.3'/8.3'/12.5'

Thr 3/25
04:00 - 299deg - 14.6 sec - 8.5'/14.9'/22.4'
16:00 - 299deg - 13.3 sec - 8.9'/14.1'/21.2'

Fri 3/26
04:00 - 298deg - 12.4 sec - 8.2'/12.2'/18.3'
22:00 - 299deg - 13.6 sec - 12.5'/20.3'/30.5'

Sat 3/27
04:00 - 298deg - 13.3 sec - 12.5'/19.9'/29.8'

The first height is the predicted deep water significant wave height at the Tanner Bank buoy (north of Cortez Bank); the second is the average breaker height for an exposed break facing directly into the swell (hint: think Cortez Bank and Todos Santos); the third height, the "wave of the day" at that break.

This swell is pretty north for much of the energy to get into southern California--but more of the energy should be hitting Baja. I haven't yet checked into what weather/winds are presently predicted for that time period.

MT
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

Just checked the FNMOC EFS model and it indicates a frontal system moving downcoast during the Thursday-Saturday period. The boundary for the area with a 10% probability of rain exceeding 1/4" during the preceding 24 hrs reaches the Santa Barbara area on Friday, the 26th, and moves down to around the LA area by Saturday, the 27th. There is no area in so CA with a 10% or greater probability on Sunday, the 28th.

It will be another two days before the FNMOC NOGAPS model will deliver predictions for the 27th. Currently it is predicting that light rain will reach the Pt Conception area around 4PM on Thursday (end of most current forecast). This would be consistent with the EFS model (above). Winds at that time are predicted to be modest from the north (i.e. predominantly longshore, but with a slight offshore component).

MT
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
matt cunningham

Baja ha ha ha ha

Will and others,

Are we still on for Gaviotas? Looks like a nice swell for Baja Malibu, Rosarito and maybe Popotla. maybe we can scare up BOB Gove from his Rosarito trailer and he can show kneeboard videos on a sheet against the trailer, what do you say Mr. Gove?

Matt Cunningham
WillP

Post by WillP »

Hi guys,

Sorry for keeping quiet this week. Work has been super hectic. Yeah we're still on for Gaviotas. I'm going to be leaving to baja this sunday and staying until the 4th of April. I've been freaking out because it's my bday on wednesday. I'm turning 25!!!! It looks like we're going to have surf too. I'm taking my water camera and plenty of film so we'll have lots of good shots to post here on the KSUSA site. Those of you that have already contacted me, please e-mail me or call me to confirm that you're going or not. I have to arrange the parking situation with the administration folks at Las Gaviotas. I'm taking my laptop down to stay in touch with work, so i'll be checking my e-mail all week. My cell phone works down there too. I think everyone knows how to get down there but for those of you that don't, I promise I'll post the directions by monday night.

I'll see you guys down there.
matt cunningham

Hey!!!!!!

Is anybody eles going down? If so have you heard from Will, I have not heard. I's like to hook up I'll drive. I have not gotten an email back.

Matt Cunningham