Oceanside CA Gathering April 10th

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

O'side

Post by Craig »

If it's not storming, the wind always blows offshore until mid morning. All indicaters are setting up for a good NW swell weekend 8)
The sand bars are in good shape, so depending on tide it can get really hollow & pitching :!:

Still a Grom!
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Well, April has been a windy month from what I remember (which gets harder from year to year :wink: ) . Consequently, I've been paddling out in "less than glassy" conditions (read hard onshores!) just to see if it's as much fun as I thought it was.

So, here's the wind forecast...

Looks favorable for a DP at Blacks on Friday... and O'side will start with light North winds and switch to E.

At least that's what the chart says... Let's see if it comes together!
Don Harris
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Looks like John Eckert will try to be there for an hour or so for photo's on Saturday!

After speaking with John, I'll be setting up a Gallery for him on our site with photo's he's taken from our Gatherings. John has shown a great interest in our events and taken some very high quality shots.

Look for his Gallery soon in the Photo Gallery section!
Don Harris
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

Don thanks for the heads up about John. I'll be sure to were my makeup & do my hair. All kidding aside, for those of you who have'nt seen his pics you can go to ( grandviewsurfing.com) See you on Sat or sooner. Greg....
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

Looks like Mother Nature will be cooperating for the O'side gathering this weekend. Unfortunately I,m still recovering from the hernia surgery :cry: You guys and gal should score! WK
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Looks like Mother Nature will be cooperating for the O'side gathering this weekend. Unfortunately I,m still recovering from the hernia surgery :cry: You guys and gal should score! WK
Jack Beresford

gathering

Post by Jack Beresford »

A pre-gathering gathering went down this morning (hell - those guys are probably still in the water) at Blacks. Fun, clean, low-tide barrels with sets a few feet overhead. Only problem: about 100+ guys in the water! Don, Brad, Ler, Wino, Bob G, Walt and possibly a few others I missed were out doing their best to make south peak look like Restaurants.

Meanwhile, Jason reports getting perfect lined-up lefts at a not-so-secret groin with only two other guys out!

O-side should be smaller but fun tomorrow.
Jack Beresford
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Jack, we were still out when you posted. So. peak got inconsistant but there were a few sets coming through. Butler should get an award for not losing his cool after being stuffed on two good set waves. People need to look back before they start to paddle, it's that simple. Mark, Walt, Brad and I think Don were still out when I left about 30 min. ago. Dogman also made an apperance.
You guys should get good waves tomorrow. Fortunately for me, I have to look after the grommets until about 2:00 and will be on the late afternoon shift.
Ler

blacks

Post by Ler »

Black's was really fun today, but crowded as hell. Everybody was ripping Nice double barrel Brad. See you all tomorrow. Oh yeah I my new name is South Peak Ler, sorry Brad.

South Peak Ler.
MWROBERTSON

Oceanside gathering/Blacks

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Drove down from OC and hit Blacks about 7:30am or so. Man was it cranking! Nice peaky lines with some tubes to be had. While I was putting my suit on. I looked up and saw either Jack or Winebaum get a shacking on a left dredger(sorry guys my eyes are bad from a distance. It was an all white board though.)and come out dry!

I saw Don H. Get a deep left out of the canyon where he drove a hell of a long way in the barell.

I saw Walt style and drive a few real nice left left walls. Some where tubing over him like crazy.

I saw Ler get a crazy drop on a left while the wave was throwing like a monster behind him.

Brad was typically riding the heck out of ever left I saw him on. Some tubes too!

All in all it was a darn good day. I don't get to surf there that often. So it was a real treat to get some glassy gems!

See you all tomorrow in O-side.
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by khoningford »

Sounds like Black`s was the place to be this morning, wish I could have joined you guys.

I`m planning an early AM dawn patrol attack on the south side tomorrow. Have some family commitments and won`t be able to hang around long...

Looking forward to meeting everyone and maybe even getting a few little cover-ups, looks like King neptune may cooperate.

See you all tomorrow...

good surfing to ya
spidah da kneeridah
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Yeah a fun day! Especially since we got to surf with a bunch of kneelo buddies this A.M, and I got to meet Don finally.

Bob Gove was also out and picking off some nice workable lines.

Ler, southpeak ler and southpeak brad is cool. We could be partners in a team event! It's kinda like eqkneelo/sfkneelo.

Today in Clinic I was talking about this morning's session and one of our pharmacy students asked "Do they only allow kneeboarding at Blacks?" at which point I got a smile from here to Tahiti and starting cracking up at that thought. Imagine today with just our little pack :D :D :D !

-Mutiny, Wayne, Ed: it was better (size/consistency/weather) when you guys came in Feb. So, still feel bad but not *as* bad..

Brad
walt davidson

Post by walt davidson »

8)
Last edited by walt davidson on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khoningford

Post by khoningford »

Just a quick note to say that I really had a great time Saturday, sure the surf could`ve been a little better but it was great to be sharing waves with so many other talented kneelos.

A hearty thanks to you, Don, for setting the wheels in motion and providing the good vibes...Lord knows, we could all use a little more of that.

I`m really getting fired up for the Jalama love- fest and there`s no doubt about it, team USA south will be well represented. You Northies better be on yer game...

Again, great to meet everyone and see you all in May

good surfing to ya...
spidah da kneeridah
Ler

oceanside

Post by Ler »

Oceanside was a blast. The waves weren't killer, but the motley crew that showed was great. I know I was in for it when I was paddling out I seen Tom Backer go for this 360 air out the back, crazy. Then I went to the other side of the jetty to see atleast 20 kneelo's, inculding The Don himself. Not a wave went by without a kneeriding on it. At first I was stoked, til I couldn't get a wave. A tough crowd. Everybody was ripping. The stand out rides.Don's long rights down the beach, nice cutty's, Jack with fins out every hit, Greg's death barrel, Kenny's long old left behind jetty take off, Eric's snap in my face, Darcy's, not Marcy take off's in front of the jetty, Mark on a 360 mission, Tom Backer every wave (somebody sent Tom too Tahitti), Fred has the spot wired picking some good rights, & a whole lot more that I can't remember. It was a rough nite last, had a few drinks with Peter Cottontail, for a rabbit, he can put back a few.