Huntington/Newport Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

Hey Everybody: I'll be there with the whole family. I messed up my back and have been out of the line-up for too long. I did purchase a sony digital cyber shot with water housing and plan on shooting both the seasoned veterans and the beginners. We should have have a great time. So come one and all!
:D There are some special give-aways for those first time kneelos that show some genuine interest in our mode of wave riding.
Looking forward to seeing everyone, that means you to Big Tony. 8) Wayne 8)
MWROBERTSON

Hb Newport

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Fellow Knee boarding Friends:

Don't forget to park and look for the gathering spot as noted. Otherwise, you will have to wade across the channel or have a heck a hike up from the Newport side.

Mid morning should be best with the tide push.

Actually at the River Jetties there are two river outlets.

Last year it was on the North side of Talbert Jetty.
The northern most jetty.
This year park at the same place(The State Beach: Brookhurst Entrance)
and walk 75ft to the South Side of Talbert Jetty.

Actually if you enter the State Beach, Brookhurst entrance, you
need to drive South in there till you come to the last
Cell of Parking, then you are perfectly situated to just walk straight out.
Ler

Hello

Post by Ler »

Have a great time at the gathering, I have to pass this time. I gave a shade tent to Tom Backer. I hope that helps. See ya next time.

Ler
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Hey Everyone: Inspite the cooling off of the water and small waves it was still a great day! The surf was 2-3' faces, inconsistant, but punchy enough to be entertaining for the more agile kneelos. My water pics are marginal at best since it was my first go at water photography. I can see this will take some dedication.
We had over about 45 kneelos show up from all over the state: San diego, San Francisco, Fresno, the greater Yosemite area, and many areas inland. Barry gave a kneelo seminar to the future of our sport, our youth. He did this by his surfing. upbeat encouragement and attitude, and in the water lessons. Good on ya Barry. Thanks to Simon Farrer's permision to duplicate "Sparrow 1", all those that contributed functional used kneeboards( Bruce Hart, Buddy McCrae, and many more),and, the many positive vibes and souls whom participated. We may have converted 2 spongers and a couple of groms into our mode of wave riding. I know we opened some eyes. We gave away at least 4 boards and 6 videos.
This was just icing on the cake for the good times shared by family and freinds that was TOPS for me! 8)
Thanks to Don Harris for his dedication to this site, who btw received a hand carved and painted " trophy/ art piece" by Tom Backer for the greatest distance traveled. More thanks to Mark and Danny Robertson for organizing the event. Also to our dedicated man at he 'Barbi', Greg Shewman.
There are more details and photos that will be posted soon once we get it all together. Wayne :D
budman
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by budman »

Wanted to take a minute and thank everyone involved for a great gathering on Saturday.Despite the lack of surf everyone seemed to be having a great time.It was great meeting everyone.What a quality group of KBers.
See you at the next get together
Bud
MWROBERTSON

HB

Post by MWROBERTSON »

HB/Newport Event

Wow! What a great gathering thanks to all the participats. This is our 3rd one and the numbers keep growing. I think it will be an annual August event from now on! We had well over 45+ show up, surf and sign the guest book. This may be our largest turnout ever.

I had a heck of a support group that made this all possible. Special thanks to:

Tom Backer- Phenomenal job for the "Furtherst Traveled" trophy. Truly a work of art! (that was awarded to Don Harris for his 590 mile + drive form Sausalito.)

Greg Shewman-supplying the BBQ and some fancy grilling while standing in the hot sand.

Jason Foster-All over the Video action

Barry Baker-Board give aways and lessons to the kids

My Bro-Dan Robertson-Tables, munchies and muscles.

Jim Richardson-Pop up shade and water

Paul Devoy-Chips & Dip

Wayne Koppit-Huge icechest with water and drinks-some water photog too!

Joel Mayer-Mr. Photog! Dedicated to the cause-We will develop these for the site soon.

Chuck Smith-Hot Dogs to feed the hungry troops.

Bruce Royer- Chips & Salsa

Mike Butler-Pop up Hurley tent- Mike we wish you could have made it.

And to all the others that I may have overlooked. I know so many others chipped in any way they could.

On the financial front, we raised $120.00 from T-shirt sales to deposit to the KSUSA account.

As we all know the waves were about as small as they could get, 1-3ft at best. Everyone attacked it showing that KB can rip in small waves too.

I was really proud to see so many people who brought new people, family etc. We had well over 10 boards donated that were given to many of the kids that tried kneeboarding for the first time. Bud Mc Cray was on it! He shipped the "softie" over along with a Stubb Vector from David Sears. THANKS Guys. I saw all kinds of kids trying out different boards and getting stoked.

The guest book that everyone signed also had a column for what was their favorite board and how many fins they like. We had a heck of a cross section that shows that people are open to and trying both retro and new ideas to increase their level of stoke!

Out of the 45 or so that signed in(note: not all gave board info).The break down was as follows:

1-K58
1-Surfish
1-Zake(makes his own boards)
1-Freeline
1-Sunset
1-Chas
1-Barry
1-Manns-(John shapes his own)
2-Ballasters
2-Romos
2-Cleary
3-Flashpoint
5-Parkes
10-Blast
10-Schoelkopf

Out of that mix we had:

24-4-fin designs
12-3-fin designs
6-twin fins
1-single fin

As you can see a real cross section of boards and designs are being ridden. The gatherings allow people to try diffent boards and talk design. This will keep our sport progressing.

Thanks to all of you that attended for the first time and all the regulars who try to make each of these events. It's obvious that many styles, personalities and designs is what keeps this all fun and interesting.

photos to follow soon.

See you all again next year!

Mark Robertson 8)
Last edited by MWROBERTSON on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Beresford

kudos

Post by Jack Beresford »

Thanks to everyone who showed - it was very cool and showed that the whole California Kneelo rebirth is still gaining momentum. Keep it up!
Jack Beresford
CHRISTDRIVEN
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

TURNOUT

Post by CHRISTDRIVEN »

I am new to these gatherings, it was awsome to see so many kneeboarders in the water at one time.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

THANKS TO MARK,DAN AND ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!
It was great to meet new faces to old post here and always great to share with the crew. I rode Tom's Shoelkopf the whole time nice, board Eric.
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

THANK'S AGAIN !!!

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

GREAT JOB MARK & EVERYONE :wink:

ALWAY'S A BLESSING TO SURF AND HANG WITH MY HALF BROTHERS ??
TILL WE MEET AGAIN :P

LUV YA ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!! MIKE GARRETT
barry

RJ's

Post by barry »

Thanks to all of you who made it to the gathering. I hope that everyone had a great time with one another. Too bad you all couldm't hang out for a few extra days......... Monday came and the swell started to show chest high mostly.. Tuesday presented the lucky folks who showed up with head high to 4' overhead mostly top to bottom with some spitters...... wed had less kneelos but Bob and I still scored great barrels with occasional doh looking forward to Wayne posting the photos from tues/wed. PEACE
Barry