Huntington/Newport Gathering

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Huntington/Newport Gathering

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Hi Everyone,

Talk is starting up again for our annual HB/Newport Gathering. Last year was a blast with fun peaky surf, food & drink galore and enough fire wood to light up the city. (see photos from last year on the site).

Multiple boards were being ridden, photos taken, kids, wives etc. Many showed up in the morning and stayed until dark.

We are talking mid to late August again. We may have had a record number of attendes last year and would like to see if we could top that this year.

Start working on your schedules and let us know if you have any ideas. It should be another great one! 8) Dates should be posted soon.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Yeah Mark! My favorite gathering of the year. Can't wait.

Ler
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Can You get the tents again? They provided a great place to hang out. This year we will set up by the shore line so everyone can kick back and watch the action, eat, take photos etc.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Consider it done. Shade will be provided.

Ler
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Make it late August and I'll be there with family, awning, retro and 'modern' boards, food, drink, and lots of friends. I'll help you guys in anyway. WK
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Thanks Wayne! Your enthusiasm is always welcome.
barry

August Gathering

Post by barry »

Mark glad to hear that this is going to happen again :!: This year I will plan to have more time so I can hang out longer. I have also been talking to Don and he is interested in putting a clinic together with a group of kids We are hoping that all you kneelos out there that have some boards that are not being used would be willing to donate them so that we can give them to some of the kids who participate so that if they choose to continue kneeriding they will have a board to ride. If there is going to be a form of kneeriding in the future in the U.S. it will come from the youth. If anybody has a board to gift a kid that would be Awesome. If the board happens to be dinged up that is fine I will plan on doing some repairs. just PM me and we can arrange for a meeting to p/u the board. Give the gift that keeps giving (an ocean experience) Just think what a blessing it would be for a kid to show up at the beach and spend the day with a group of people having a Great Time. Learn about the Ocean, Experience the Thrill of riding a wave and then go home with a board if they feel that they would like to continue kneeriding in the future.
Barry
DarcyM

gathering

Post by DarcyM »

We are hoping that all you kneelos out there that have some boards that are not being used would be willing to donate them so that we can give them to some of the kids who participate so that if they choose to continue kneeriding they will have a board to ride.
I've got two boards that have just been gathering dust for the last 10 years or so. I'd be glad to donate them at the gathering. It's not like I'm actually going to be able to sell them for anything, and I'd be stoked if some kid got into kneeboarding with a little incentive.

:idea: maybe we can start up a non-profit so as to have some tax incentives as well for all of you donors out there ... :P

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
hart

Kids

Post by hart »

Hi Darcy..

I've read this and another post about a kid getting a kneeboard and he was stoked to have the chance to get into it. Too cool.

You and I are about to have a shipping consignment happen..if I put another board in your package..do you think you could find a kid to give it to??

Maybe to a grommet at this gathering..maybe a prize??

Only a second handy..but it would be a recent one..like 3 years old or something??

Let me know.

Bruce.
DarcyM

second hand boards

Post by DarcyM »

Bruce -

you got it. We'll have some grommet kid so stoked on kneeboarding and Flashpoint that he'll have to go to the library to look up on an atlas just to find out where "Dee Why, Sydney" is so he can show all his mates ... !

:lol:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
barry

Board Donations

Post by barry »

Darcy and Bruce
Glad to see you are both stoked on this idea and willing to contribute. I have had a few PM's about this and it looks like (counting yours) we have 6 boards to donate to groms so far. and there is still almost 2 months before the event for other kneelos to decide to clean out the garage and share some stoke with a kid who might not otherwise get the chance to develope a kneeriding habit!!! Hoping anyone out there who has a dusty one they don't use will consider it a gift for some kid 8) We still have some wrinkles to iron out but it looks like this Gathering will blossom into a new future for some :D Kids Thanks again to both/all of you
Barry
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Looks like Aug 9-22nd is our annual pilgrimage South to warmer waters. If the dates don't work for the Newport gathering... no worries, but I'm keen on hooking up for many surfs...
hart

grommets

Post by hart »

Barry,

No problem..the 2nd handy is in the air..it is partnering Darcy's over to LAX and will land Wednesday arvo..just couldn't let one go, when there's room for two!!

And if it gives a kid the stoke, it will be more than worth the (too easy) effort.

The board is ex Kyle Bryant..used in 2002 World's (One of three)..and scored the 3 highest heat scores throughout the Contest..( 9.5 9.2 and 9.0 in one heat alone).

Smashed up now, but I know it goes!

Regards from OZ..

Bruce
barry

second handy

Post by barry »

Thanks Bruce and much Love back to you for the kind gesture.
Barry
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Hey guys I'm in w/ one board for sure maybe two. I'm looking forward to this gathering, it was a blast last year 8)

Still a Grom!