Coopers goes retro before the Worlds

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

So red, is the retro cup on the friday or saturday? Actually what date is it to clear things up, i'm confused..... easily done... you had [26th] on one post and another [ if you get there early ]
cause i might bring my old single fin qld. cedar d/f pin but it might be pushing the friendship with virgin
album_showpage.php?pic_id=18909&mode=prev#TopPic
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
red

Post by red »

25th? don't know what I was thinking.

This Friday 18th
Sat 19th is Opening ceremony.

Dig out your dungers.

Regards
Red
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Red, what time on the 18th and where is The Cup held?
waka

Post by waka »

Hey Red

:wink:

In keeping in 'true retro' theme........ competitors 'must' wear flippers, no deck pads,just wax and legropes a optional extra :wink: ....and must wear speedo's!!! :lol:

See you down there Brad :D
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

never have i worn budgie smugglers surfing, i started surfing in boardies and i'll die surfing in boardies
budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by budgie »

Hey Red

Isn't the opening ceremony an evening event on Saturday 19?

According to the official website, it is.

I know heaps of competitors who are only getting in Friday and will miss your legendary event.

Could you please reschedule for a Saturday start.
stevea

coopers cup goes retro

Post by stevea »

Call me a prude call me politically incorrect ,but quads and thrusters are not retro ,and sluggos well i guess theres nothing wrong with em if thats what your into
I will be trying to get there for it ,ive developed a taste for coopers and it should be fun watching the masters of many turns riding boards of fewer turns grapple with all the negative aspects of retro designs in search of the positives
A no legrope and wetsuit clause would add interest especially to the sluggo crew
I guess deck pads should be a concession since nobody wants retroed knees going into the main event ,but if your not a flipper man now dont wear em and find out why we did
There were many other handicapping practices that would not be appropriate to mention that would really make it retro but may lead to permanent damage and no one wants that
Looking forward to it all
red

Post by red »

Friday has a 10am high tide of 1.21, going out to a 4pm low of 0.44

So the ideal time for a surf at most Island breaks is 8am-12pm. Get your free surfs in.

In keeping with the time honoured traditions of having surf meets in adverse conditions (anyone see the Quicky Pro final?), we'll be looking at a late afternoon start and hoping there's enough swell to hit Penguin Parade (that'll test your speedo string!) or small enough to manage a beachy at Colonnades or Anzacs on the low and incoming.
(This way we know the "serious" competitors will be resting up and we can have a bit of fun)

Mobiles don't always work 100% on the Island, but you can call me on 0428264898. I'll be getting down there around 9am (babies, in-laws, etc take a bit of organising). Otherwise Jim and Albert will know the G.O. or you can ask at Island Surf Shop.

Boards pre-1985.
Surfers gold coin donation to help the Vic Kneelos.
I'll bring beer and ice.
No scorecards.
No rash vests.
Talk up your game all you want.
Influence other judges any way you can.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

how long does it take to drive from the airport to the island, i land @ 9.20 friday morning, gotta get hire car & on my way by 10, this is me being optimistic if i'm not gunna make it i'm not bringing the woody
stevea

coopers cup goes retro

Post by stevea »

Hey Analbirth the first time i ever went to P I(1969) an 18 yr old nurse gave me a woody and turned me off speedos for life ,will never forget that summer of 69 s
MJ

Post by MJ »

You'll make it AB, 2.5 hours tops.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

hey stevea, 69? how fooking old are you????
hey mj, i'm so glad, the woody hasn't had a run for a loooonnng time,
last time i surfed it, i couldn't kept plowing the nose should be a hoot...
i better put a pad on it otherwise i wont be able to pray on sunday :wink:
stevea

coopers cup goes retro

Post by stevea »

A B ,I never think of my chronological age but yes i guess i have a few miles on the clock
As much as i d like to get there in time for the event and after grovel (assuming the surf is up to the quality of the quicky pro) drink ,i will unfortunately be somewhere in transit
red

Post by red »

I got a few questions about how the Retro "Comp" went.
I think this comment on the last night from Phillipe of Tahiti sums it up, "We arrived and the first thing you offer us is a beer. What a welcome!"

My poor organising and lack of communications kinda disrupted things, but somehow a bunch of guys ended up at the designated spot (Right Point) at about the right time the Friday afternoon before the Worlds.

It was chilly. There was beer on ice and some small waves to be had.

There were a few retro boards hauled out. Thanks to Greg in particular for bringing 3 beauties down to the beach. Jim took out an oldie and Matt G rode his trusty single fin slab.

Now the concept was for people to swap boards and vote a winning board. The intention was never to have a winning surfer. For some reason board swapping didn't happen and so the retro aspect of the day went by the wayside. A special mention should be made of Matt G who looked like he was riding a modern hi-performance board.

The other aspect of the day - the artistic expression of beer tasting and friend making that is the Coopers Cup - progressed very well. A pleasant afternoon was had idly watching waves being ridden and swapping stories.

With the rangers about to close the park gates we called proceedings to a close aropund sunset and headed to the Opening Ceremony.

Sometimes no result is the best result.