THE STANLEY CUP/STANFORD AXE OF KNEEBOARDING...JALAMA N/S

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

THE STANLEY CUP/STANFORD AXE OF KNEEBOARDING...JALAMA N/S

Post by eqKneelo »

I was talking to BOB WELCH last week and he has come up with, what I think, is a Brilliant idea.

For those of you who do not follow Hockey or College Football, there are several "perpetual" trophies that go to the winning team of an annual rivalry. Each year, the winners put their names on a large plague on the trophy, but at the end of the year, they relinquish the trophy, and it becomes "up for grabs" at the next contest.
Bob has offered to make one of his insanely cool trophies so we can start this tradition at the JALAMA North/South expression session. Now, this is not an individual award.... and it is not giving to the "best" rider or anything like that. This is a team trophy, which (I believe) should be given to the Honorary Team Captain every year. This year, for example, I think maybe Mike(North) and Barry(South) have done the most work to make this event happen. By making them the "Captains" for this year, if their teams win, they will have their name, their team, and the year engraved on the trophy and get to display it in their homes for a year (Maybe with the caveat that the bring it to all major contests to display). It can become a tradition that could be really fun to look back on 10 or 20 years from now. Not to metion, a way to constantly fuel the North/South rivalry.

Post your suggestions, since we are just proposing this as an idea, but remember... this is about starting US Kneelo Traditions... it's about camaraderie, not competition. It's a way to start creating a history of friends surfing together and having a good time.

I will make the first suggestion and present it as a Poll:

I would like to call the Trophy THE GREENOUGH.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
ED
Jack Beresford

Post by Jack Beresford »

I proposed "the Point Conception Cup."
Jack Beresford
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

That's great too, Jack. Why don't we get about 5 suggestions and put it to a vote.... although THE NORTH votes should count as 2.... Since it's always gonna be in our living rooms, we should have more influence naming it. :twisted:
EQ
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

What about The ICBM....or some other rocker-inspired name ? The trophy can be a really big rocket....like a Saturn 5. With Jalama's neighbor being Vandenberg, it seems a natural.

Or a four hose hooka.............
kbing since plywood days
mike schmaeling
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Jalama/ Conception Cup

Post by mike schmaeling »

Great idea, but for team captains, I would suggest Don and Jack.

Mike
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Oops. Posted this in 'the other' Jalama thread...

In an effort to hit 5 trophy options, how 'bout:

- 'The Spelunker' in honor of cave exploration
- 'The Fred' like the Greenough, in honor of Mr. Petersen
- 'The Rock' for the NorCal/SoCal dividing line
- 'The Tarantula'... same idea. Trophy designed accordingly
- 'The Lowrider' Trophy designed accordingly
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Personally, I like the more ambiguous
names
. When you start talking regions (VAFB) or add "Cup" to the title, it starts
to sound like a surf contest... or a Tennis Match. Since this whole thing is supposed to be a fun expression session, the trophy should be just that, something that is personal to our sport, and something we can laugh about. The Fred, The Fish, The Kneelo, The Greenough, The Half-Man... basically, a totem that is unique, goofy, and can be passed on for years to come.

As for the whole "Team Captain" thing, it was just an idea, and a way to spread the wealth AWAY from the best surfers from each region. I am very grateful for everything Mike and Barry have done, which is why I suggested them. Maybe it should be a "secret Ballot" kind of thing, so the captain will never see it coming. That
way
we can reward kneelo's who have done a lot of work, been inspirational leaders, or maybe have fallen on hard times and need a pick-up in their stoke level.
Just thoughts,
EQ
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Great suggestions and comments.

In the effort to spread the glory and rank amongst the group, Tom Backer has done some proto-typing for Trophies. Tom is also a 3D artist working in clay and other forms. I threw this out there on a whim at the O'side Gathering and Tom mentioned he's got some proto-types already lined up. I know Bob has done some outstanding work in past so let's leave this to our Gather-Master Barry to sort out... I know he's on top of it... even if we have to give out an old smelly bootie it'll be worth it! (unless it's SFKneelo's... :oops: )

Boy... what a delimma... we've got too many trophy builders (Jon Manss, Bob Welch, Tom Backer, and others I'm sure). All we need now are reasons to hand them out 8)

Again, this is only one man's opinion as it's all for fun :mrgreen:
Don Harris
mutiny

Trophies

Post by mutiny »

Hey there everyone, after my talk with don at o'side I have made 5 trophies and there are two others on the way. I am meeting with barry on wednesday to tie up any loose ends concerning the trophies and I am open to any of his suggestions regarding the tweaking of the trophies to fit the jalama vibe. If Bob W. wants to contribute to the pool of trophies, please go for it, the more the merrier.
tomb
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Since we are there, how about one of the trophy's be a jar full of big spiders? Greg..
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Greg come up and see my tarantula and I'll show you how long a jar full of spiders would survive. Hey have all of you forgotten about Saturday night BBQ? I'm still here and counting.Don't you just hate a pesky cook! :?
Ler

Jalama

Post by Ler »

Hi Jon and everybody else,
If your gonna be up there Saturday nite for the BBQ, your in for a treat. Jon does some of the best BBQ in CA (north or south), so please RSVP, for me I gots to bolt before the sh!t hits the fan, cause of the kiddies. Oh yeah, don't eat the brownies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!