R.I.P. Shannon Berwick

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Novos' loss heavens gain, sad days condolences to the family
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
womble

Post by womble »

Thats extremely sad news ... my heart goes out to those left behind ... life is so precious ... sometimes it overwhelms ... in situations like this realities hammer hits you fair in the face ... I won't be at the paddle out ... logistics and all ... but I offer my love and distant support to all those involved.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

a fellow kneelo just sent me this
..... Two things I remember – his ever-present smile and good humour and seeing him out at Newcastle beach on the biggest day I have ever seen on the east coast.

Only three people in the water, big crowds watching from the beach (including the usual chargers), Shannon stands at the jump-off point on the reef for at least 20 minutes, maybe half an hour, waiting for his chance to get out.

Finally jumps off and manages to get out the back – most who tried finished up on the beach – waits for a bit, sussing it out, then takes off on this humungous brute of a wave, down the face, bottom turn, back up and off the lip, everyone cheering, another turn and then flips off. He did this a couple of times before he came in.

That’s how I’ll remember him.....

Mel Horadam spoke to Shannon's family today and his funeral will take
place next Tuesday June 26th @ 12.00 noon.

Pettigrew's Funeral Chapel, Harris Street Wallsend 2287
rippe75
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by rippe75 »

I have never met Shannon. In fact this is the first time I'm hearing of him. But seeing all the posts its obvious that he was a good guy loved by a lot of people.

Its sad to hear of someone about my age dying and also a family man.
My sincere condolences to family and friends

Rest in peace Shannon
Time and tide...
Xmas

Post by Xmas »

Shannon was a top bloke - a real frother in the best way - and a tremendous kneeboarder.

Now a week later after hearing and I am still trying to understand...

My sincere condolences to his family.

ps: Nice words and pics by Steen (?) on www.legless.tv
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Today's Paddle-out in memory of Shannon was one of those times when your faith in the Human Spirit is restored.

Around 80-100 crew showed up in the dark, on a freezing Winter's morning, to give their mate the send-off he deserved. Kneelos, Bodyboarders, and Stand-ups hit the water together just after 6am to release one of Shannon's beloved boards, floral memorials, and to say their goodbyes.
His board was passed around to everyone in a huge circle to have their last few words with him, and with the sun beginning to rise, his board was carried off towards the horizon in the chilly offshore wind.
Everyone joined together for a prayer, three cheers, then a final hoot from the crew.

The paddle in was just amazing. A few clean waves began marching through, and the entire crew had a ball, going hard to get a wave in, while to crowd hooted and cheered every wave. It's been a long time since there was such an uplifting atmosphere in the water at Newcastle Beach as there was this morning. Everyone was there for the same reason, and it's rare to see such a show of comraderie as what was displayed today.

Shannon would have been stoked!

The size and diversity of the crowd that showed up today was a true testament to the regard in which he was held.
It was the best way possible to honour and say goodbye to a surfer!

As one of the crew added on to the end of today's prayer -
"Our brother's spirit will be on every empty wave that comes through at this place forever!"

Amen
...but I like to be different...
damob1
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by damob1 »

you couldnt have summed up the day any better tinso.
miss ya shann.
Ed Dimick

Post by Ed Dimick »

I just read about Shannon's passing, shocked and saddened. I met Shannon at the Tahiti Worlds. I remembered he surfed well and was reminded by Red of his deep run in the Open. I also remember he was talking off deeper than anyone the day the whole crew went to Teahupo. To Jane, Mia and Shannon's family and friends, I'm so sorry. RIP friend.

Ed Dimick
Iñigo

Post by Iñigo »

I knew Shannon in Tahiti too. Great experience and opprotunity to know people that will last in memory as Shannon. My condolence to family and friends. I will dedicate a moment and a pray in his memory.
Tinso

Memorial for Shannon

Post by Tinso »

It's been over a year since we said goodbye to Shannon, so the Novo Kneelo Club will be holding our September Comp in his honour.
We'd like to extend an open invitation to all who'd like to come along and share a few memories, stories, and waves with us.

It will be held on Sunday, September 8, gathering at 07:30am at Griffiths St carpark, Stockton, NSW. The comp is open to all, with the winner awarded a perpetual trophy.

Everybody is welcome to come along, enter the comp, or just have a surf and BBQ with us afterwards. I'm sure we may make our way to one of the local watering holes later in the afternoon. It is intended to be a relaxed, low key affair - just a bit of time with our mates, to remember our mate.

We'd love to see you there. Contact myself (Tinso - tinso71.ct@gmail.com.) or Mel Horodam ( novos@exemail.com.au ) for any info, or to let us know you'll be joining us.

Cheers,
Tinso
...but I like to be different...
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

All very sad. It will be a great gathering though.
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Just a quick summary of our day for those interested.

The weather or surf we were not blessed with, but the turn-out and spirit we certainly were!
About 30 crew turned up for a super cool day, with around 20 Novo's trying to claim the trophy in Shannon's honour.
Stockton turned on it's miserable best, so just like Shan would do, we tried to see the best of it and ran the comp. Small week swell challenged everyone, and a nasty onshore arrived with a drenching shower just in time for the final. In the end Baden Smith will be the first Kneelo with his name on the perpetual trophy, followed by Ryan Gallagher, Nick Hartigan, then my good(?)self. We were honoured to have Shannon's brother Trent on hand to present the trophy, and I think he was pretty damn stoked to see the whole event go down as it did. Thanks mate!
A highlight of the proceedings was to hear the tribute that fellow Novo Brett Finnan read out, another classic poem he is famous for within our club.

Thanks to all who turned up to show their support, and the Novo's would love to extend a warm welcome to anyone who'd like to join us for this annual event.
Shan would love to see you there!

He’s Surfing With The Saints!!
Surfing with some saints
Angels dropping in
No more worries for Shannon
Cleared of any sin!
Ripping up the point breaks
From the tips of shining stars
Barrels, hollow in the clouds
Reefs that leave no bloody scars!
No need for rubber
Temperature always right