2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- date and venue

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- date and venue

Post by Tom Linn »

Mark your calendars everyone. The 2004 Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival featuring the US Kneeboard Titles will be held at Pleasure Point on November 18th, 19th and 20th (Thursday (if necessary), Friday and Saturday). We are planning on an even bigger and better event this year.

The event will end Satruday afternoon, the awards will be Saturday evening at a local pub. Plan on driving home on Sunday.

This year we will be adding a Juniors division to complement our Open, AAA and AA divisions. Substantial prizes and incentives will be made available to all Junior participants.

I'll be happy to respond to any question, comments or suggestions.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Cool. I'm excited to see we've added a venue for younger KBs. Can you add any more details on who's eligible for juniors (age limit)? I'd like to start spreading the word among family and friends who have kids that I think would enjoy it.

Any word yet on registration costs for juniors or other divisions?
scoop

Post by scoop »

woooo hoooooo
I am going to make every effort to come back and defend my last place (not even catch a wave) title....was worth every cent....
I WILL be looking for accommodation...Will even try and drag my lovely wife ...kicking and screaming...so that she too can see what a great bunch of people you guys are ( I dont even care if I dont catch another wave....atleast Im there)

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Tony - We'll take good care of you. And, by all means, bring your lovely wife! Now, with one contest under our belts, I think we here in Santa Cruz County can put together a much better event for all our guests.

And maybe come up with a handicap system for you...."Tony has to catch a wave before anyone else can take off".........lol. Or we'll have John Mel's son Peter tow you in behind his jet ski.....

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Jack Beresford

hotel

Post by Jack Beresford »

Tom - any update on a hotel partner? The Venetian was a good set-up last year.
Jack Beresford
MWROBERTSON

Santa Cruz

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I agree, that was a great place. It seemed real nice after sharing a bottle of great Puerto Rican Rum that those PR guys brought over.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Hey Dan, How about checking out Margarita Ville for after events, meetings and food? It is off seaon and I'm sure they could use the business. Jack, It is only a few staggering steps and one fall off the bridge away from the Venetian. :roll:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jon - sounds right on target. I was thinking of renting Jade Street hall and doing the spaghetti feed thing. But when I add in the stumbling factor - and the lack of physical cooking labor - well...............

We'll be able to put something together that will be cool.

p.s. Jon - dropped a center box in my aircraft carrier....just waiting for next week's swell to put it through it's paces.
kbing since plywood days
scoop

Post by scoop »

Dan
Thats it....with those rules I'm there...looks like by myself again at the moment....(my wifes busiest time)
Can we tie Peter Mell in though....I want guarrantees...I must admit i did love skiing on my kneeboard behind a boat in the 70s...but it would be a decision of Tahiti or USA and.... with only a week to deceide...and realising that november is a major income month .....I am getting information as I type this message ....logistics might be pointing towards Tahiti....better go and have some deep disgussions.....
will get some more info up soon RE Coffs event...it was a great event

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Actually, John Mel did shape a KB for tow in surfing last Fall...a double wing swallow thruster but it hasn't been in the water yet. We could defnitely set something up.

Or, if you're in Tahiti, I can check with Pete Mel. Since he surfs for Quiksilver, they have him all over the world each month. It might coincide with a Quiksilver trip there.....or Easter Island. He'd be willing to tow you if we asked.

But we'd dearly love to see your smiling face (and Kenny's and Hart's and Nov's and and and..........) here in Santa Cruz. By moving the contest to mid November, there is a better chance for much better surf.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

The family and I are up for another stay at the Venetian in Nov. Let us know if we are going to get special rates again, I'm ready to make reservations.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hi, Kids - I'll call The Venetian next week - after the Memorial Day weekend- and speak with them to set up a special rate for all you KB gods.

If anyone else sees this before next week, let me know if you're also interested so I can get a preliminary hard count.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hi Dan,
Count me in as well.
Anybody, what was the room rate last year and how close to the surf?
Brad
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Brad the room rates were fantastic but I don't recall the price every one who stayed there was stoked. You are on the beach in Capitola and your about 3 minutes away from Pleasure point. If the swell is big enough you just hop in your wetsuit at the hotel and paddle uo to your heat. I hope your in my heat, I'll be the one with the fresh not out of breath look.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

[b]To answer the question regarding the Junior event [/b](sorry for the late reply)- Nothing definite has been developed regarding the Juniors but we want to stress that it will be fun, fun, fun with lots of prizes and awards for every Junior contestant. A lot will depend on the participation level. If we have enough entrants we can break it into two age groups. It will definitely be set up so that every contestant gets plenty of surf time and numerous chances to experience the "thrill of victory".