2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- date and venue

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

regarding accomodations- I would like to see us take over the Venetian. Its close to the break and closer to the restarants and bars. The cost last year was $85 per night for a two bedroom suite with kitchen and living room. Each suite will comfortably sleep four people.

I would also like see us use one of the Capitola pubs as our contest meeting place. Soooo, walk from the Venitian to contest pub central and stumble home. No cars. Three minute drive to Pleasure Point. Some surf available right out front at Capitola.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Tom - You're right on target. I'll make inquiries with The Ventitian and Margaritaville. I'll definiteley sell the point that we can guarantee those establishments a full house each and every night - a good selling point for giving us better (and lower) rates.

There is also the possibility of approaching other businesses for sponsorships, etc. I'll also speak with the Capitola Chamber of Commerce. I'm on a committee with the Aptos Chamber so I do have some contacts which I can use.

We should try and schedule an organizational meeting sometime soon. I'm down in SoCal every month or so. Maybe we can meet on your turf this time, Tom.
kbing since plywood days
R. Andersen

Post by R. Andersen »

Hi all. Brandon, Cassidy and I will be there. You can count on it. I would love to hear more about the Juniors division. Brandon is super excited. Also, in the meantime, if there is anyone currently kneeriding here in the Monterey Peninsula, can you let me know where to take Brandon so he won't have to surf alone. Thanks to all!!!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

The format of the Juniors division will depend on the number of participants and the size and power of the waves. We certainly don't want the kids out there if it is too big. My 11 year old son will be there. We are hearing quite a buzz about the Juniors so we are hoping for 10-20 Juniors to show.

The primary goal of the Juniors event is to make certain that every kid comes away stoked!! We will have enough prizes to make sure that every kid is a winner in some way.

I will post more info as it becomes available.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Contest details-
Entry forms will be posted on the KSUSA website shortly. The entry deadline will be 10/15/04. Event will take place 7:00AM to 4:30PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Cost will be $75. Every one will be guaranteed at least four heats at Pleasure Point with no more than 6 guys out. Last year many people complained about being forced to surf TOO MUCH.

Lodging at the Venetian for about $80 per night (suites that sleep 4 with kitchenette). Contest results, annoucements and KSUSA parties on Wed, Thurs, Friday and Saturday nights at restaurant within walking distance from the Venitan hotel. All contestants must buy Tom Linn brews when ever they see him. The Venetian is in Captiola just 1 mile from the contest venue. Hotel is on the sand with surf spot within walking distance.

Evening annoucements will include reports from the recent World Titles, plans for next World Titles, KSUSA exec reports regarding financials, gatherings, sponsors, etc. and heat schedule for the following day, and results from the current day, and various special awards.

This year we will have Juniors, AA, AAA and Open divisions. All contestants are automatically entered in Open division. Placement into AA and AAA divisions will be made based on performance in Open divisions.

There is room for 84 contestants on first come, first serve basis. Seeding into the Open will be based on performance in competitions occurring after 10/03 using the "Jack Beresford Rating Method".

We expect to have a vast quantity of merchandise to raffle off and to distribute to the all Juniors and division winners. Many people will walk away with gear valued at more than their entry fee.

Pray for Epic Surf!!
joe

Post by joe »

I'd like to get my 13 & 14 year old sons involved in the Juniors competition. Will the juniors be limited to Saturday competition. It might be harder to get junior participation if they have to miss school. Not that the kids would mind.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm talking with The Venetian's manager, trying to get a better rate. I've told her we need to firm it up soon.....she told me she could make a decision after the Labor Day weekend.

One bit of a problem is that the contest site is closed for construction: they're rebuilding the cliff along the road bed. I will call the County next Tuesday and get an update as to a completion date.

Off to SoCal for a couple days......today Santa Barbara and Santa Monica; tomorrow and Sunday.....The Ranch. What should I take: my Yater or my kneeboard...... Come on, Hurrican Howard!
kbing since plywood days
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Take your kneeboard. If Howard holds course you'll be in one of the best places in CA for this swell.

In case construction makes Pleasure Point unusable as a contest site, what alternative locations should we start looking into?
A solid Plan B is always good to have up our sleeve.
Look to the south this week end it could be real good.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

We only have a permit for Pleasure Point. We have major problems if the site is closed. However, we have 2.5 months until the contest so hopefully the construction will over by then.

Also, I would hope to do the Juniors on Saturday with awards Saturday night.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Tom
Most of the contests this year have been moved down to the Hook. This would be great if the swell was up but it would be horrible if the swell was down.I have another idea. The end of Rockview is a public street just north of Pleasure Point that has a view of Sewer Peak. It would take some arm twisting with the contest coordinators but I think it could be worked out.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Jon, Thanks for your input, but,

Let's get the definitive answer on the constuction completion date at Pleasure Point before we start exploring alternatives. At this point we should move forward assuming that the spot we have a permit for will be available.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Tom - I'm on it this week. - Dan
kbing since plywood days
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:lol:
WAHOOOOOOO ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

LUV THE CRUZ CONTEST :lol: :lol:

TONY YOUR THE BOMB MATE *********
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Per Surfhorn, the construction is supposed to be finished by 10/15. therefore very unlikely to conflict with our event.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hi, Kids. I walked the site today. The construction company is applying concrete to the cliff face directly below where we had the judges tents set up last year. It looks like they have about 2/3 of the project completed (moving from Point lot down the coastline) so we should be good to go.

I'll keep a weekly check on the site and keep everyone posted.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days