Nicaragua

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Nicalocal
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Nicaragua

Post by Nicalocal »

I live in Nicaragua no one knows what kneeboarding is here I really need somegood kneeboarders to come down here .dale dagger and I are the only ones in the country lots of good waves here .I have a 3 bedroom house, plenty of room. I would like to possibly make a short film also. Please contact me on instant messanger. STEVE MCKELLAR.
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Nicaragua

Post by joe »

Nicaragua is a favorite destination for many kneeboarders here. See the following story for one of the more recent trips. I'll bet there are a few planning trips this season.
http://www.ksusa.org/2016/01/11/va-pue-nicaragua/
Nicalocal

Post by Nicalocal »

Yes I see those guys came down , sorry I was unable to surf with them ! Anyone else coming down please contact me . I live in Bahia Gigante , right in between Colorado and Manzanillo .the two best breaks in Nicaragua, in my opinion . Manzanillo is a slaby left point ummm , super gnarl come check it out !!!!.
Nicalocal

Post by Nicalocal »

It was a great summer for waves in Nicaragua this year .had a lot of great sessions. Colorado fired almost every day. The problem is that no matter how hard I charge .there is still no respect for kneeboarders. All the good waves I got, not one photo. I surfed one particular day at my favorite wave, Manzanillo...I was taking off later and deeper than anyone , most of the standup guys where scared and sitting on the shoulder, it's a heavy wave . Several photogs on the beach and in the water. At the end of the session I was so pumped! Thought I finally had some documentation, but no , photogs completely ignored the kneeboarder, I don't get it ? My money is just as green as anyone else. That's how these guys make there living? What do they care ? I'm not an ego maniac just wanted to get some shots before I get to old .so sick of the disrespect!!!!
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Good Morning NicLocal

I would love to come see your Country I dream of a trip to Nicaragua all the time with photos from Popoyo and Thunderbomb surf camps posting such Awesome photos all the time...it just looks so consistent and those offshore winds blowing in off the lake just seem to keep the waves open and hallow.
I feel your pain I have kneeboarded for many many a Moon and just have a hand full of pictures to show for it...Yes we are the Rodney Dangerfield's of the surf community... ( No Respect!) ...But I get my Hoots and Hallers now and then so I know I'm doing something right....At least now and then.
...Your offer is So very Kind it's so common in in our smaller surf community to reach out to surf with like minded people that love our sport.

...Not sure what kind of movie your looking to make ..and I'm sure My skills are not up to some Gnarly hallow slab that I have never seen before ...But I have see some 3 to 5 beach and point breaks I would love to give a try!..

Well this is my Email Konaskyy@gmail.com...Shoot me a note I would love to see and hear more of your country your neighborhood your favorite surf spots.. I have seen many beautiful places in pictures from Nicaragua I would love to someday see them in person.

...I myself hale from a cooler climate NorCal Santa Cruz is where I have surfed all my life and have never wander to far from...the waves are cleaned by a kelp forest Lines are mostly long and smooth although you can find cover from time to time...

This is one of the last videos I did pretty boring crap as it's just Gopro front board mount and music...but I know a little about video editing...but just enough to fill a shot glass...

https://youtu.be/iafWYu-JGOo

Take Care my Kneelo Brother

Kurt
Surf More Stress Less
Nicalocal

Post by Nicalocal »

Thanks Kurt for your response, I usually stay until the end of October, then the swells die off for the winter. It's back to San Diego for winter surf in California...burrrr hard to get used to a wetsuit again. I have to attend a wedding in big sur in February maybe I will come to Santa Cruz and look you up...love the choice of music on your video...nobody rides for free ! Everyone calls me QUASAR. Hope to surf with you soon,
knee-rider
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by knee-rider »

Hey NicaLocal
sounds like we have many things in common I live overseas as well and try come back to San Diego to visit my parents while they are still on earth
That SD winter water is NOT as cold (your Brrrrr) as the winter Mediterranean sea, if i can make it this year around february
I'll contact you and maybe we can catch a surf together -- I am NOT as good as you are probably but maybe we can still have fun

I wanted to point out that I never bother looking for people taking pictures of me/kneelo's, nor hoping for a posting somewhere, but last time
i was in San Diego i came out from the water from my usual one hour surf session and this standup surfer comes up to me and told me he was impressed at watching me getting a number of good rides on my kneeboard and he congratulated me-- this I have to admit impressed me and humbly I replied that there are kneelo's far better then I am out there riding the same SD Break

Stay humble- Do your thing - Fraternise with surfers of all kinds of surfing,
Show the world that we do not discriminate against other wave riding vehicles and sooner or later someone is going to come to you stoked from watching you surf. It happened to me and I am sure it will happen to you -- Concentrate on yourself to further improve your riding skills
After all I cant ride big gnarly waves you ride and I must be older then you at 58

But still have NOT lost the stoke

Its all about the ride my friend :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
it's all about the ride
Nicalocal

Post by Nicalocal »

We are the same age bro ! I have in the past had people hoot and gotten many compliments. On that day I got a lot really good waves and with so many photographer's there is thought I would get a few shots? I was just insulted to find not one pic was taken ??? Like I said I am not a ego maniac, just wanted to post some shots on here to try and get some more kneeboarders to come down.? I guess I am getting spoiled, don't like cold water anymore or the confinement of a wetsuit, we are getting old ! Where in the Mediterranean do you surf ?
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

One of the first surfers ever to surf Italy-- Varazze and Andora back in 1985 while I was here for a first short (two years) work experience abroad
Now as a cause of divorce moved to Tuscany 5 yrs ago
I surf funky Viareggio Pietrasanta -- but my favourite spot here in Tuscany now is ANSEDONIA-- unbelievable Roman and Etruscan ruins fenced in literally on the beach with crystal clear med waters and fairly good waves when it happens
Been trying to convince my Italian girlfriend to skip SD parental visit one year and go Nicaragua -- heard about those waves with constant onshore winds combing their faces in winter
Maybe one day-- actually a travel agent friend of mine knows one of the employees at the Nicaragua Embassy in Rome and through that connection I am sure we could get pointers on where go to sleep for cheap rates and in SAFE places
Your input would be much appreciated on this subject
Likewise if you ever come by my neck of the woods i'll show you around
Dave
it's all about the ride
Nicalocal

Post by Nicalocal »

You mean offshore right and it doesn't really work in the winter. I have seen some good shots of Italy...would love to experience it. One of my friends in Nicaragua has an Italian girlfriend that lives here , he is from Argentina. Quite a good mix of people here ...maybe I will see you in S.D.