Aug-2002 HB Gathering, Hosts:Paul Devoy & Randy Reed

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Aug-2002 HB Gathering, Hosts:Paul Devoy & Randy Reed

Post by MWROBERTSON »

:D Saturday, August 24th 2002
Kneelo Gathering #5
Huntington Beach (Huntington Street)
By: Mark Robertson

Fifteen wave hungry kneelos ultimately gathered for the fifth West coast kneeboard gathering of 2002. Kneerider after kneerider scurried to the shoreline where they were greeted to 62-degree water, a 1.2ft low tide and a building 3-4ft south/southwest swell. Early on, a bit of morning sickness marred the low tide faces but as the morning progressed, still winds and sunshine provided glistening wave faces for the riders to do their handy work in. Primarily left forming peaks broke on multiple sandbars, allowing the riders to scatter themselves up and down a 1000-yard stretch of beach. The area surfed, straddled both the north and south sides of the surfer-sculpture/landmark that’s perched at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Huntington Street.

Hosts Paul Devoy and Randy Reed were the ambassadors of good will. They paddled up and down the length of the line-up sharing waves and greeting all in the water. Most were in good spirits with plenty of peaks to share and rising surf. Everyone one was getting waves, everyone! Every time I kicked out of a wave there was someone getting a solid ride. On one of the bigger sets, Greg Shewman, on his Parkes fish, caught a powerful left peak where he drove hard off the bottom, faded high into critical part of the wave face and held a steady line the whole way through. In that same series, Randy Reed, on a bright red board, came flying across the inside on a glassy lined up left where he was able to pull into a tight barrel that kept throwing sheets of water over him. He appeared to be guillotined, but he was able to thread the needle and pop through! (If you haven’t seen his board, make a point of it. It’s shaped by John Mel of Santa Cruz and has one of the most risqué airbrushes you’ll ever see! The artwork is of a scantly clad, fleshy blond bombshell. Her sinister smile will mesmerize you.)

The nostalgia award was given to Tom Backer that day. Tom was out on his old-design, brand new Carl Hayward twin finfish. The board is unique using a large single channel that runs the bottom back third of the board. It cuts deep through the two wide based fins and out off the fish tail. Why nostalgic you ask? Carl was shaping this same type of board for many HB notables who tore at the pier back in the 80’s. I kept asking him how he liked it. Tom being his humble self-said, “I’m not real sure yet”. Walking down the beach, I saw him drop in real late on a large left peak. He came hard off the bottom, cranked it straight up into the lip and then came down buried in the white water and pulled it off. I must say he looked awfully sure to me!

Much initiative and stoke was shown by the Road Warriors of the group. They got up in the dark of dawn and drove a couple hours from the north and the south to catch a few waves with their brethren. Point Loma’s Bob Welch & Mike McGowan certainly got their gas monies worth. They rode multiple left peaks to the south of the group. Mike was riding a clean, used Blast tri-fin design that he picked up off Buddy McCray’s Blast Hawaii website. He has been a four-fin rider for years but now loves the new tri-fin feel. Driving down from the LA area, Ed Quinn, managed to be the second man in the water that morning. He picked off some real nice lefts that winded and dumped up the beach. He then got out, drove a few more hours back up north to attend a bachelor party that same day. Now that’s dedication!

After the surf, many from the group converged to the Shed, off Main Street, to refuel and share in some conversation. After a few cups of coffee and a pancake or two, everyone wiped their faces, shook hands and said their goodbyes. It was clear by the words expressed and overall upbeat mood at breakfast that the group consensus was, EXCELLENT GATHERING!

Everyone’s chomping for the next one! Hope to see you all south of the border in September for gathering #six.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks to both Jack and Mark for great summaries of the two gatherings in San Diego and Huntington. Mark, I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the boards some of the guys were riding, specific wave descriptions, etc. I happened to be in San Diego during the Blacks gathering and had a nice time--couldn't believe how well Jack and the crew surfed it, even though on the smaller side with alternating zippy hollow and strange mushy sections, and a lot of guys in the water! I wish I could have been there for the Huntington one as well, as it sounds like a bunch of you had a blast getting together afterwards.

It's just good for me to hear the names of everyone in your summaries. I start to hear the same names poppin' up and it starts to stick. Some of you guys also got to the Hawaii Gathering and we're looking forward to plenty details about that! Talk story!! (Didn't you end up there, too, Mark?)

It's raining like heck as I write this tonight. In a few days, it should clear and we'll enjoy some late northwest swell action. Enjoy it while it's still around!

Scott Wessling
(sorry, from San Jose, not Santa Cruz)
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Scott,

Thanks for the feedback! I've been talking to Don and the likes. We're all super stoked that the new website is allowing us KB's to cover a wide array of topics in a user friendly format. This will help keep us connected and grow as a group.

As for the gatherings, I love seeing everyone get together,share waves, board design etc. For those that couldn't make the HB event, I wanted to give as much color on the event as possible. Try to make it down in August 2003. HB is not always the biggest and cleanest but it is open to all swell directions so there is often something to ride.

I don't know how but we missed you in Hawaii. As you experienced, it was all the North Shore is cracked up to be.... and more!