NORTH SHORE KNEEBOARD GATHERING 2005

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

NORTH SHORE KNEEBOARD GATHERING 2005

Post by Bud »

ATTENTION ALL KNEEBOARD SURFERS

Sick photo or what?

New info for the upcoming North Shore Kneeboard Gathering 2005 will be posted on the http://www.blasthawaii.com website soon.

Also the long awaited 2004 gathering report and photos will be posted ASAP.

I'm going for a surf to rinse off the foam dust, then eat lunch and start posting the pics this afternoon.
This should all be ready by tomorrow.

After you are done reading the info and drooling over the shots, get it together and make your plans to attend this next event.

Any kneeboard surfer worth their salt should be here for the 2005 event.
Simon Farrer has indicated he'll come to show how it's REALLY DONE and film as much as he can. We need hot kneeboarders to show up and charge for the resulting film.

Think your boards are best?
Think you can handle?
Think you are hot?

Get your act together and come show us the courage of your convictions.
No place on earth will put it to the test like the winter waves of Oahu's Noth Shore.
Aloha,
Bud
Jon Manss

Hi bud

Post by Jon Manss »

I have a window of opportunity to get over your way between 12/28 and 1/16. So I will miss your gathering but would like to meet you and others if possible.
BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

Ya Buddy,
Throw down the gauntlet, I can't wait. I'll be there from the 16th to the 27th. I know a bunch of the boys are ready to give it a go.It will be great to surf with everyone in something besides 1-3' dribble.Time to start training! Bill
DarcyM

Re: NORTH SHORE KNEEBOARD GATHERING 2005

Post by DarcyM »

Think your boards are best?
Well, you made it so you should know ... ! :wink: I'm sure it'll handle more than I can ... which begs the question ...
Think you can handle?
I think I can wimp out with the best of them. I got scared there once before (more than once) as I recall ... and according to Bud, those were "small" days.
Think you are hot?
NO. Not that that's stopped me before. So, I'll be there, just to wimp out, be mediocre, and be humbled by the North Shore and more importantly by the local guys who really, truly charge. And just to be sure all this world titles stuff doesn't go to my head. We really wouldn't want THAT to happen.
:oops:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Bud

Post by Bud »

Darcy,
Don't sell yourself too short.

As I remmber you were one of the better kneeboard surfers at the first Norh Shore Kneeboard Gathering.

She's being too humble folks.
On her first go out it was VERY LOW tide at Back Yards and about 4-6'.
The place has no channel the reef is exceptionally sharp and it's super shifty.
She just went out there and wailed on the place like she lived here!

As host to this event I truly worry about everyones safety.
I don't want the participants to get hurt.
There's no shame in being cautious.
I expect everyone who visits to be sure of their abilitys.

On any given day, ask yourself this simple question:

Can I swim out to the surf break and back unassisted, without my board or flippers?

If you can't see yourself doing just that, then don't go out.

Don't be tottally reliant on your equipment.

When you do go out, charge, but be smart. Pick good waves that you are reasonably sure you'll have a chance to make.
Don't get anxious, impatient and take off on just anything that comes to you.

Live to surf another day is a good rule to follow.

It's easy to burn out with 2-3 days of hard surfing.
The surf may stay good for weeks even months on end.
Most times after 3 days of solid swell the crowd thins out.
If you are here just to surf you can time your sessions and score it with just a few guys out.
Nobody can handle the all the surf this place dishes out. :D
barry

North Shore 05

Post by barry »

Bud I will be making it over for this one!!!! And I am Stoked to finally get to have a go at the north shore. I am planning on a 3 week stay, I might even pull off 4 weeks. I am definately looking forward to meeting you as well as to get to surf with Bill L and the rest of the kneelos in some good surf. It will also be good to hang with Simon again. I have a question for you Bud, would it be better to show up earlier in Feb or should I plan to stay into the first week of March? MUCH ALOHA TO ALL
Barry
Bud

Post by Bud »

Barry,
REALLY glad you are showing enthusiasm for the gathering and trying to make it for a decent length of stay.
This will give you time to get into the groove. 8)
You'll be super stoked with the great number of different breaks to choose from.

To answer your question:
Do come as early in February as you can.
You'll have a better chance at seeing the full spectrum of conditions & waves that hit these beaches and reefs.

March can be very good but is apt to get strong trade winds, which we don't want. Those conditions cut down the number of places to surf by 80%. The crowd get thicker with less options and the surf is ragged, mean and nasty. Last March wasn't any good at all.
February seems to produce the best conditions for longer periods of time.

And John,
I'll be here in January.
Even if it's 30' and onshore (a very likely scenario for that month), our crew can get you to great surf.

BTW, Rick Curtis says, "Hi".
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

:D Hey Buddy,
Cant tell you how pumped I am to be coming over for the Hawaiian Gathering 2005.
How nice is that shot of back yards, the spirit is back :twisted:
The training has started, Ive already pulled out my monster board bag which is looking a little rough around the edges( a little like me :oops: )
Plan on bringing 4 boards over, 6ft small board, 2x 6' 5" & 7' 2" board for when it becomes necessary :shock:
Thats great to hear people like Barry & Bill pumped also, Lets go surfing guys!!!!!!
As you know buddy I plan on making a gathering movie, so I put it to any one who is reading this to get motivated & make the trip & go surfing in great waves with other kneeboarders. Im hoping to see a good contingent of American kneeboarders to film, interview & surf with, plus catch up with some old friends & new.
Packing the boards, bringing the family & plan on having a blast for 4 weeks. :D
Keep sending the photos Buddy.
Will see you in Feb
Simon
hart

NSG 2005

Post by hart »

:)

and I hope everyone is ready.

hart
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Lets get into the shaping bay Bruce. :D
6' 5" & 7'+
Talk soon!
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I talked to rich pavel yesterday and he mentioned making a new 5ft 8 inch fish gun for Rex Huffman for Cloudbreak. He said Rex is wanting to charge as hard as ever! I will tell him about Bud's north shore gathering maybe Rex or Toby might be interested.Maybe if they see that pic of backyards.......
Smokin Rock

Re: NSG 2005

Post by Smokin Rock »

[quote="hart"]:)

and I hope everyone is ready.

no more late nite ice cream and plenty more sit ups. glad to see so much stoke for this years gathering. my only problem is Feb. is a fantastic month on my island. if it's 20' on the north shore it'll be 4-8' and perfect here. decisions, decisions.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Scott

Me, too

Post by Scott »

Bud and All,

See you guys Feb. 19-26 (my school's out on break)! Thanks for changing the Gathering to February as I've missed the March one's because I came a week or two too early.

If the rest of you haven't read Bud's absolutely exhilarating and hair-raising account of the surfing from the 2004 NS Gathering, check out:

http://www.blasthawaii.com/index2.htm.

It's a long post, so pull up a comfy chair, a cold one, and take your time.

Then make your plane reservations...

The big question for me is how much surfing vs. how much filming from the beach to do!
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Come on Mike!
Its going to be a good gathering.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Simon,
no real decision. the chance to surf with so many world class kneeboarders at some of the best spots on the planet is too good to pass up. really looking forward to seeing you surf. i thought your surfing on sparrow and friends was f&cking brilliant. barring disaster, i'll be there.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head