KSUSA Titles & Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival...

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Do you plan on attending the 2004 Santa Cruz Event?

Yes! Wouldn't miss it!!!!
71%
No... Sorry can't make it.
29%

Total votes: 52

HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

HEY !

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:shock: THE WATER WAS FINE IN MY SHORTY :shock:

HEY TONY ! miss ya brother from down under :lol:
take it from me my fellow halfmen/halfwomen " the santa cruz contest was one of the most awsome thing's i have done in my 27+ yrs of kb'ing.
cathy and i still talk about how much fun we had and all the cool friends we made. if i finished last i still would feel the same. contests are great but do not feel that if you do not place your not as good as the next guy or girl. your only as good as your last wave. (BE THERE).

ALSO : I'M working out a VOUCHER FOR A FREE CUSTOM """""""
( HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT) BOARD FROM MY BRO JOHN AT BIOHAZARD SURFBOARDS. HE GOT ME INTO KB"ING.
BOARD # 2 __ COULD BE A COLLECTABLE ???? :P
Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Santa Cruz

Post by Jack Beresford »

Three weeks to Santa Cruz! Are you all ready?

I noticed from the most recent list that 17 of the 29 entered thus far are from SoCal! Hey NoCal - where are you guys??? Are you just gonna roll over again like a big fat elephant seal?

As for our own, it's time to make a commitment! That means you Matt C, Steve Y, Eric S, Jason (yes, you have the time off), CB, Sprocky and others. This is the big event of the year and none of us are getting any younger! Greg entered and he can't even use his right arm (or his right hand). The deadline is 11/1.

Daylight savings ends Sunday - that's potentially 18 more hours of dawn patrol time before the contest starts! Get in the water and get ready!

Jack
Matt
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Ahhh warm water

Post by Matt »

I 'll leave my coldwater suit at home and use the "3-4 winter suit" that I won at last years contest (has worked out great as a summer suit up here!).

I would turn up just for the Raffel :P
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Jack,

I would get in the water to warm up for the contest but waves up here in Nor Cal have been out of control(haha). Looking forward to seeing all the kneelos in Santa Cruz.

See you all in the water

Willy :wink:
Ler

RAFFLE

Post by Ler »

I agree with Matt. The raffle is killer. I won at least a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff. I came in from a heat and was handed a bag of goodies, all good stuff. Fun fun fun.

Ler
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Event Schedule

Wednesday 7:00 PM Margaritaville Libations, heat schedules posted and announcements

Thursday 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Round one and two of Open, all contestants will surf at least once

Thursday 6:30 PM Margaritaville Libations, heat schedules and results posted and announcements

Friday 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Prelim rounds for Open, AAA and AA, all contestants will surf

Friday 6:30 PM Margaritaville Libations, heat schedules and results posted and announcements. Possible showing of Simon Farrer's new film

Saturday 7:00AM to 4:00PM some quarters, semis, and finals for Open, AAA, AA. Also, all Juniors heats

Saturday 6:30 PM Margaritaville Libations, announcements of contest winners, major partying

Look forward to seeing everyone in Santa Cruz.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Scott

Couple of Questions

Post by Scott »

Thanks for passing along this good read, Tom. Has there been any significant discussions among the KSUSA leadership or with the judges organizations about a scoring system that more fully rewards difficult and/or innovative manuevers in a contest (there was quite a bit of discussion about this on this site after the recent World Titles).

And is there any chance of the actual contest surfing being done at Sewer Peak at Pleasures instead of at First Peak?

Thanks.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

.....and what about the new rule that anyone 50 years and older automatically advances to the finals...........lol
kbing since plywood days
Scott

Anyone Got Access To A Camcorder Underwater Housing?

Post by Scott »

I'm planning to get lots of video footage of the Santa Cruz Gathering, and I'd love to get some of that from the water to add variety. A DVD, including this plus what I get at the North Shore Gathering, at a future time is the goal.

But here is my dilemma: does anyone have a housing not being used for which I could find a camcorder to fit, or if you have both and would like to see it get some great use, or if you have something you might like to sell to me, please let me know. I've been watching EBay for months now and have not been able to get something decent in my price range.

You can also PM me.

See y'all there.

Scott
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Scott,
the judging criteria is in the rule book. see link above. to answer your question, judges today put huge emphasis on big, impressive, innovative moves. The days of getting points for groveling in the soup are over.
albert

Post by albert »

the issues with judging in the world titles had more to do with separate inscances where one maneuver was not scored to its potential while others that did not display as much power and commitment were "overscored"

I should remind you that this only happened on a couple of instances that I can remember. Nothing to get all upset about.

THanks
Jack Beresford

judging

Post by Jack Beresford »

One of the things we did talk about doing that's worth considering: doing a briefing with the judges before the contest to talk about modern kneeboarding and the criteria. Maybe show some video of top guys going off. A lot of this is subjective but since most or all of the judges will be stand-up it can't hurt.
Jack Beresford
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Hey Scott,

I'm coming and bringing my new DV camcorder as well, with the goal of capturing as much footage as I can. I can't solve the water housing issue for you, but maybe some of what I can shoot can complement what you shoot for your DVD project (different beach angle, low vs. high, maybe I can shoot while you're in your heats, etc.) Let me know if you think it would be good to coordinate with you on this.

Jason