contest...kauai

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

matt holzman da kauai boy
Local (More than 25 post)

contest...kauai

Post by matt holzman da kauai boy »

Man is there ever going to have a contest on kauai? A kneelo contest on kauai would be great. what do u guys think?

Aloha Matt :mrgreen:
Get Wet Stay Wet!!
Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

I vote for Acid Drop on a huge South swell. :shock: :D

Better yet .............Heroin's! :shock: :shock: :shock:

YEA BABY! YEA!
nobrush
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by nobrush »

what about pakalas? or should we keep that place quiet (at least it was when i was there in 00)I'd go...any break...centers?never heard of heroins...
Scott

Post by Scott »

Good idea, Bud, on Acid Drop. I saw it break once in about 1980, when my wife and were visiting Kauai. I was surfing Centers (which was hairy enough for me--shallow reef), and there was Acid Drop a few hundred yards away twice as big and just pitching over onto a shallower reef! Very aptly named, and I didn't want any part of it at that time. Of course, my mind was on other things as that was the weekend our first born was conceived... :P :oops: :lol:
Jimbo

Acid Drops

Post by Jimbo »

Saw it on my honeymoon when first born was conceived as well. What a wave!!!! It was May 1987 and cranking. Didn't take my board so I rented a thruster (early Aussie tri?) and surfed in front of the Waiohai (sp?). So much fun....
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Acid Drops

Post by JackG »

Jimbo wrote:Saw it on my honeymoon when first born was conceived ... I rented a thruster ... So much fun....
Sweet!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Acid Drops... slowly I turn... inch by inch... step by step... :lol:

We were in Poipu in 1980 when a swell hit. I was scrambling for a board, and ended up renting a 6' Doyle for a kneeboard.

After a few sessions there, which were insane, it claimed me hard.

It wasn't even big, maybe a couple of feet overhead? I got dis-oriented when the nose caught some water in a tube, and drifted right into the flats just in time to get nailed squarely by the lip.

It hit me so squarely that it drove me straight down until I hit bottom, still over the board. Another physics equation that I lost.

Two compression fractures of the vertebrae, mid-back. I spent the short rest of that trip flat on my back. That cost me about 5 months out of the water.

Anyhow, it's an amazing wave. I can still picture looking down the right barrel.

I've got some pix from that trip from one of those old Minolta water cameras. If the weather continues and the brood gives me a break, I'll scan them and post.
matt holzman da kauai boy

Post by matt holzman da kauai boy »

You guys talk of summer of 1980 and I tell you that was the best summer in 26 years. It had 26 days in a row of surf no less then 6 foot island style
and as big as 12 feet in June. That was the most consistant year in the the south i have ever seen. Acid Drop was uncrowded due to the burn out of too many waves!
My son Matt and I were watching Heroins this last week and four guys out getting barreled best waves on the island that day. Will weed the men from the boys. Greg
Get Wet Stay Wet!!
ross

Post by ross »

why not get one happening for late Jan into Feb to tie in with Santa Cruz and the Northshore gathering.
no small task though fellas,i was recently involved in a charity contest and am currently co-setting up an invitational in my area.lots of work.but worthwhile just the same :wink: .
would i be right to say the local guys might frown upon this type of thing :shock: ?
or do you guys have enough sway to pull something like this off :wink: ?