Anyone ordered their boards for Santa Cruz yet?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Anyone ordered their boards for Santa Cruz yet?

Post by Jack Beresford »

The World Titles are eight months away. I'm curious if anyone has ordered their boards yet and what they're bringing? With the event in January there is the potential for a wide range of surf conditions and a distinct possibility of large, powerful surf during the contest. I'd be interested in what the NorCal guys suggest in terms of equipment. Time to order now guys so you can get your quiver dialed in!

Jack

And while you're at it - don't forget to enter the event, entries now being taken online!
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Tue May 09, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ocean7847 »

the lane can get big - so round pins i would imagine. it depends on which wave at the lane you're going for - middle peak, indicators, the point, the slot?

what is the entry fee? i might have to defend the norcal turf from you guys!
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hi jack,
with cost involved in getting there( with Mrs and kids) i would say boards will be whatever i would normally take to phillip is each year.
There is always the last minute option of turning up on the day sans boards and riding whatever Don Harris and Bob Schiff are not riding on that day- tested this option at maxed out Ocean Beach(SF) a few years back and its amazing how well a four fin goes in a straight line while air dropping the inside double up section, the gloves and hood that made you feel like an astronaut added to the whole deal.
Not sure if I can get there yet, and seriously think that the issue of cold water - 4mm rubber, boots, hood and gloves - will dictate that the board will need to have a little more volume than the board i might ride in similar sized waves in a warm climate.
look forward to catching up with you Jack,Mark, Don, Bob........ and ....
Jamie
barry

boards

Post by barry »

which boards???? Hmmm......
Always a big question :?:
I happen to be picking some freshies up this week for a trip
I am going on soon.
Hopefully they will still be in good enough shape to bring to Santa Cruz
as of next week my quiver will be:
5'10"
6'1"
6'3"
6'6"
probably wont need the 'big un' for the Lane but it might come in handy
for some of those OB mornings with Don and Bob :shock:
Barry
MikeS
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MikeS »

Spoke with John Mel last week
and ordered up a new 6'0 "Aussie Quad"
looks like a round pin is in order
Johns been shaping boards for me for about "Thirty years"
And when it comes to surfing the points of Santa Cruz
but who better than to get a shape from.
I do now and again have others here locally shape my boards(beachbreak boards) but for the contest surf, Johns "THE MAN". :wink:
"Dunes Local"
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

:lol:

I'm lobbying heavily for a new board or two, but have very little leverage these days.

So far, it's looking like 2x 5'10" quad swallows (both with multiple fin repairs) and 1x 6'0" quad rounded pin.

IF I could, I'd add a 6'2" or 6'3" and a clean and light every-day board.

Jamie, please head on out! It would be great to throw a few back and catch up! (as long as I don't draw you in a heat! :) ) I'll do my best O-E-O Wiz of Oz for our favorite hotelier/local drunk!

Barry, I'll deeply meditate on an appropriate excuse for avoiding a go-out w/that 6'6"! ;-) Seriously, see below... it would be great to hook up for some sessions on that grinder you call home!

Meanwhile, the clan prepares for the journey South... we'll be down next Saturday. Shoot me a line if you want to surf! I'm seeing some niceness on the forecast...
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The 6'0" Freeline round pin quad is a good call as an all around board for the Santa Cruz area. I've been testing fin placement (2 foot to 15+ feet waves) for about 2 years and John now has is wired. There are 3-5 new demo boards in John's shop if anyone would like to test ride a variety of boards, from quads to traditional fish with various fin placements.

I am going to add one more board this year. I'm going back to my 5'8" double wing swallow thruster for barrel riding. Its a design I worked on for many years, made to work at Santa Cruz area reef breaks (primarily Sewer Peak). But the 5'8" is a monster at The Lane when its in the 4-6 foot range.
kbing since plywood days
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Two new Schoelkopf boards. A fat 5'8" for small surf and a 5'11" all around board. Eric talked me into trying his fin set up. From what I'm hearing from those who ride them, they may take a little getting used to but they perform extreamly well. These along with my 6'0" and two 5'10"s should do it. T Hall.
ross

Post by ross »

its gonna be interesting to see how well prepared i'm gonna be come Jan.
i'm keen to try a few different things between now and then :wink: so the earlier i do this the better.the downside of having my boards done now is that they will be sufficiently beaten to a pulp by January :lol: .
we are also stopping in Tahiti before and after so breakage is immanent :shock:
the list is as follows

2 x 5' 10"s allrounders

1 x 6'0" something for good clean waves

1 x 6'6" seems to me this might be just the thing for 10' Steamer lane 8)

1 x 6'10" sounds like the perfect sized board for me to hide under when it gets big enough to require it. :?

my wife has been gracious in accepting her job as carrier of the smaller board bag.no wonder we got married :lol:
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Hi Ross I surf a 5 10 at the lane and find that big enough for the spot. Of course the 2nd peak barely breaks clean enough to want anything bigger. Expect if we are lucky to have 6 to 8 foot faces with little chance of tubes and plenty of face to carve. We are also at pleasure point and this will generally be a bit weaker but same dynamics as the lane.
ross

Post by ross »

thanks for the tips Jon 8)
that was actually my next post. I'm wondering what to expect wave wise from the area. My experience in California is limited to Trestles/Salt Creek for a couple of weeks , 2 surfs in PV and a few absolutely horrible sessions in Southbay(el porto).i'm under the impression that Santa Cruz will be the polar opposite of the above mentioned coastline.
i'm gonna drive up to SF prior to the contest hoping to score waves along the way.
i abhor having left behind a board i need for given conditions.

so just how pissweak is Pleasure Point?are we gonna get tubes there?
from the sounds of things surfers with poor grovelling skills may have trouble getting past the opening rounds.such is life :) .

the Lane looks to have a steep drop from the peak,backing off into an open face/cutback style wave.does it barrel?from shots i've seen it looks as if it pitches but the barrel might be a little "pinchy" and hard to exit.

the cold water is gonna be the hardest thing to adjust to and i'm not expecting to see my tackle for the entire duration of my visit to your frigid shores :lol:
i guess in reality i'll use most of the above mentioned boards in Tahiti, i have a good knowledge of what to expect there.(floggings,reefrash and huge pits,Mahi Mahi and a new tattoo :D ).
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Ross we are going to get along famously. I have in no way showed you the way at the lane. All I have done is given you is the basics. As with any surf spot on any given swell the place can go off many different ways. The best trait of the lane is it's sheltered from most fair weather winds. Off shore most and side shore at least. Now if you want to venture up to Ocean Beach bring your full quiver. My take on Ocean Beach is if I need a gun I'm not going out. I'd rather play tennis.