Practice for Worlds - Santa Cruz Style

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Practice for Worlds - Santa Cruz Style

Post by surfhorn »

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- A surfer off the coast of Half Moon Bay narrowly escaped a bite by a great white shark this week -- the third attack involving a shark off the California coast in last two weeks.

Experts said the attacks are interesting because at this time last year there had been six such attacks, but until two weeks ago there had been none this year.

Surfer Tim West narrowly escaped injury in Wednesday's attack in the Maverick's area. He said the shark came up from directly beneath him and knocked him about 2 feet into the air. West was left with a shark tooth in his surf board.

"I just grabbed my surf board with my leash -- 15 feet of leash -- grabbed it and sprinted toward the beach as fast as I could because I was thinking it was going to get me. Luckily, I'm here to say it didn't," West said.

Experts said they're surprised there have not been more shark attacks because great whites are usually close to shore this time of year searching for food -- most likely sea lions, not surfers.

"Surfers should be aware they shouldn't surf in those areas where there's a history of shark attacks. Mavericks has had a shark attack in 2000 and a shark attack yesterday and the San Mateo Coast has had 11 shark attacks," said John McCosker, Chair Aquatic Biologist at the Central Academy of Sciences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surfers know the risk, but say their love for the sport far outweighs the threat of a shark bite.

"Definitely, there's always a risk when you're surfing at Half Moon Bay, so I advise most surfers not to surf those waters because they're so sharky," surfer Chris Loeswick said.

"It makes you think twice, but it's going to happen -- it's shark season," surfer Libby Grestin said.

Meanwhile, West said wants to find out how large the shark is that attacked him, so he plans to turn over the tooth embedded in his board to the Santa Cruz-based Pelagic Shark Research Foundation
kbing since plywood days
gumby

Post by gumby »

Maby thats what I need :? Did he land the air? I am still working on the take off. DID YOU SAY SHARK???? OH MABY NOT SO MUCH :shock:

I was thinking of going to the worlds. With water patrol like that I may stay home.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

pleanty of room in the bleachers where i will be participating 8)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trying to figure a way to get work to pay for the trip :) The draw back is I nay be expected to work :cry: To take vacation time and go well the wife is not excited about a week in S C in the winter.
To do what I want to do

Craig
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Gumby- this area of California has a habit of throwing us some gorgeous weather right in the middle fo winter. 70-80F days and cools nights for a week or two stretch and nonstop waves. Water temp is still cool but oh, so nice.

My wife and I used to always block out the thrid week of every Jan so we would be free to hang at the beach. Nice respite in the middle of the rainy season.

We have a killer wine growing area with many tasting opportunities and you can shop like crazy, if thats your wives thing. San Francisco is only about 75 miles north and a great place for a day trip or two.

And the Sierra are only 4 hours away if you like to ski/snowboard
kbing since plywood days
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

Trying to figure a way to get work to pay for the trip
look on the bright side, you may not need a return ticket.
we are the knights that say knee
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

After a little research i found the best place not to surf is "Salmon Creek, CA"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

No Beeline the best place not to surf is Point Sur. Fortunately you can't because of the military. But if you could the stats would be high for the bitten. :shock:
gumby

Post by gumby »

To be honest I am not afraid of all sharks just hungry ones. How is the contest run? For the entry fee do you get just one heat. I would like to enter but I do not want to just get one heat and out. I have never been in a contest and do not know the rules.
To do what I want to do

Craig
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Last edited by JohnS on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

gumby - all competitors will definitely get more than one heat. I think four would be the minimum, with second chance repercharge and each person in open and age division for the entry fee. Tom or Jack will be able to correct or confirm.

A chance to surf Steamer Lane with only three other kneelos in the water (no surfers, no longboarders)? Priceless.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

If that happened to me, I'd put that tooth on a necklass and wear it every day to remind me how lucky I am to be alive
exactly what i was thinking!
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Every competitor will get a minimum of three heats (1st round and repercharge in the open plus 1st round in age group). We may be able to expand that to a minimum of four heats if the waves and weather are favorable.
nwdude
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

heats

Post by nwdude »

how many in a heat ?