Kneeboard Surfing World Titles in Opunake, New Zealand

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

surfline

Post by Jack Beresford »

I could be wrong but that left point in photo #3 (Surfline slideshow) looks like the place they held the finals in '99. Plenty of rocks for sure! You guy will love it!
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

# 3 is rocky lefts down the same road there is rocky rights & graveyards all v/good point /reef breaks #6 #13#15 #17are all of my local on the east coast matakana island
DEZDIG

Post by DEZDIG »

Does anyone know what kind of a break or surf (beach, point) we can expect in Opunake? Has anyone surfed there?

Are there any breaks that are similar in the So Cal area (willing to drive)? I’ve already started training for NZ (only half a pack of smokes a day, and down to a six pack of beer at night, haha) With the time change this week-end, I’m trying to get in the water 4 to 5 times a week, but it might help to surf a break that’s kind of the same as what we can expect in NZ. Any help will help, GO Team USA.
Thanks,
Anthony A.
red

Post by red »

Surf in that part of the world tends to be a bit wild (even when it's picture perfect). Get used to floating far away from shore, dealing with mutant sets, ever changing line up (with 3m tide difference every set breaks on a different lump of rock) and rock dances into the water.

Go north, young man, go north. There you will find the wildness you seek.

Maybe New Break in your part of the world or Imperial Beach. Blacks might be good and the Torrey Pines stretch if there's a bit of size on. The breaks north to Oceanside might be too controlled to be good practice. And north of that I can't think of anywhere with that wide open feeling.

PS the electric fences really are (and some of the gates too). Better than a double espresso in the morning
barry

fences

Post by barry »

very true statements Red
from the ocean description to the apt recollection of those 'Hotwire' fences
i remember seeing sparks bouncing off some poor souls
groin area due to slipping as he stepped over the fence in his 'wet' wetsuit
after coming up the bluff during the trials
and the first couple of days during the trials for sure gave you that
open ocean feeling
hoping you end up making it over Red would be good to see ya.
hope you are healing well
take care mate
scoop

Post by scoop »

Hi Guys

I am looking at possibilities for accomodation in NZ
Are the any people looking for room fillers???
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

also rub wettie in cow dung nothing like the feeling of fresh cow pat between your toes and run bare footed on stones to harden your feet for the walk out
scoop

Post by scoop »

looks like Mr Clingan has booked the local pub so @ approx A$30pp a night this should do ...Also I can get a medium small car from Wellington for just over $34 a day for 12 days from the 9th till 21st so willing to share costs with this if anyone is interested
cheers
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Looks like I am going to join a gym. It's still winter here, 0 degrees f today, no surfing, or any other activity to get me in shape lately. Bloody Hell! :cry:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Jack Beresford

nz

Post by Jack Beresford »

Anthony,

I was there for the worlds in 99. There was a lot of swell and a lot of wind. The conditions varied a lot but the main thing I'd suggest is that you be in really good condition. If you're in shape, you can always adjust to the conditions and break. If you're not...well enjoy the T-bone steak&eggs at the pub each night!

Jack
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

Spot on Jack.
Go surfing in whatever your local break throws at you, cause Taranaki will match it and them some over a period of 9 days.

We(Don Harris,Bob Schiff and I) also enjoyed the most grease laden bacon and eggs ever each morning courtesy of our host at the Oeo hotel just sth(10KM) of town. Just what we need at 6am :o :lol:

Despite the dodgy breakfasts, this it was one of my most memorable trips ever and met some life time friends.
Jamie
red

Post by red »

Hopefully I will get to share a beer with you all. Won't be surfing, but will bring a few sticks so the curous can see what I've been up to in my cellar.

Barry, I look forward to seeing you again. 4 years is a mite quicker than the previous 15 year interval.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Anyone able to tell me what the water temp will be around that time of year in opunake?
Thanks to anyone in the know!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I've got some hot, hot info for you Simon! :wink:
http://www.surf.co.nz/reports/taranaki.asp
http://www.parishiltononline.net/paris- ... -kiwi-man/

A close friend of Paris Hilton says she could be coming to New Zealand in search of a Kiwi man.

Her long-time friend Jessica Meisels is in Queenstown for the 42 Below Cocktail World Cup with Kiwi boyfriend Matt Halliday of the A1 grand prix series.

Meisels says Halliday and Hilton have become close friends.

She has confirmed Paris wants to accompany her on a jaunt down under at some stage, saying the prospect excites Hilton, and that she will be looking for a Kiwi lover.

“She’s definitely dying to come down to look for a nice Kiwi boy,” says Meisels, who has known Hilton since she was 14-years-old.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
barry

temp

Post by barry »

thats great MF
a current water temp of 19.8
I remember wearing a s/s full most of the time

on the last trip