santa cruz contest

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

It was another gorgeous day in 'Surf City'....lol

I made it over to The Lane this afternoon and caught some great action. Nice, consistant sets were coming through Middle Peak and off the point. As the tide dropped in the afternoon The Slot also started working.
It was great to talk with and watch kneeboarders from Australia, New Zealand, England, Puerto Rico and other point of the compass all hanging out in the sun, having a wonderful time.

We USA guys have some great things to be stoked about. All our riders have been holding their own. And Santa Cruz County riders are doing their part as well. Roger Hughes won his heat, John Mel is picking off numerous set waves per heat and Mike Sears, Caveman and Jon Manss are also advancing.

But the big story today is that a total unknown to the KB community (but a Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz local) won both his heats, scoring two barrels in his last heat and grabbing the high scoring wave of the day (an 8.5)!

And the understory: Lloyd Mahoney is a standup surfer and hasn't kneeboarded in years.

I met Lloyd in the early 1970's when he was a little 12 y/o KBer (in fact, my wife and I still call him 'Little Lloyd') where we were charging Sewer Peak, Lil Wind'nSea and 26 Ave. He turned into a standup surfer about 25+ years ago.

Last Sunday, Jon Manss -always one to stir things up- ran into Lloyd during a wave check and told Lloyd about the Worlds and that he should enter. But Lloyd hadn't ridden a kneeboard in years and, in fact, didn't even own a KB.

So Jon rushed home, grabbed a 5'6" winged swallow thruster that Jon had shaped years ago and shoved Lloyd out into Sewer Peak. Lloyd was the man of the hour, tearing the place apart. Jon immediately entered him for Team USA in Worlds.

So Lloyd tore it up at The Lane today on an old, borrowed 5'6" thruster KB, wearing his normal standup wetsuit with a pair of white, cotton socks under his orange, late 1970's Duck Feet.

Man, I love kneeboarding.
kbing since plywood days
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Jon should get 50% of whatever Lloyd wins.

Thanks for telling this story, surfhorn.
Jack Beresford

UPDATE

Post by Jack Beresford »

Thurs, 1/11 Report: surf dropped considerably this morning but the nasty weather that's been predicted all week has yet to arrive. The Lane is about knee to waste (if you're standing) today and less consistent. The contest is proceeding with Masters and Grandmasters heats only today. Early heat winners included Baden, Barry, Bill Lerner, Karl and myself. Hopefully the new wind swell willl arrive this afternoon and the forecast looks better for the final two days with some groundswell on the way. A little chilly this morning - first time I've had to scrape ice from my windshield before going surfing. But right now it's sunny and almost no wind.

Check on the great press coverage from the SC Sentinel - see other posts.

The contest must be getting serious - I heard Baden was home by 11 last night!

Jack
Bryn
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bryn »

Is any one going to post any results at all? Would be nice to know where its all at.

Cheers :D
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezak

Post by ezak »

wt_2007_results.php

Looks like the results will be "coming soon"
surf with soul
crox

Post by crox »

All it takes is for someone to take a photo of the results board & post it in the Album :roll: ....dont worry about typing it all in :lol:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Its Thursday and, unfortunatley, small waves. The first heat at 7 AM was pathetic.....but what are ya' going to do. That weather front is pushing and air temp was around freezing when they hit the water.

But it was picking up a bit as the tide dropped and the sun warmed when I left for a meeting at 10AM.

But even with small waves I saw some amazing surfing. Some of us don't surf much when it gets small but the guys I saw riding this morning were really good. Makes me think that I should get off my butt and ride smaller waves.

The days results are usually posted at Coastline Brewery in the evening after organizers rush back to thier rooms after a full day in the sun and surf and crunch names/numbers. But the idea of a digi photo is superb!
Will pass on the recommendation.
Last edited by surfhorn on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbing since plywood days
crox

Post by crox »

Thanks Surfhorn :D 8)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I heard that Beckham has signed with the Los Angeles Galaxy for $250 million US. What's going on ?!!!!!!

First you Brits show up and dominate at The Lane.....now you want to take over US soccer.
kbing since plywood days
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Maybe he can bring some pace and flair to the MLS. It really has gotten to the point of being unwatchable!!!
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

thread hijacker lol!
how about some random shots? pics of meeting with all the competitors, from the bar, uh?? where are the pics of the OC crew? or the SD crew for that matter :x . Mike fernandez? he ever make it up there? how come we can get updated pics from Bali but we cant from california? :P There are only 2 days left, feed us some info seymore! if you need help posting info or pics pm me and i will send you my # you can give me the info and i will post it. heck take some pics with your phone (of the contest not your buddy on the toilet) and send em to me (kavansurf@hotmail.com) Gotta say that other sources of info have been pretty good (SC Sentinel, British kneelo site, grey beard, etc..)
thanks!
(I know, im a little bitchy lol, probably because i couldn't go myself damn it!)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

You're right Kava - sorry to hijack. Besides - you are much too large to make angry :lol:
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

Thanks but everyone knows im a happy bear, now big tony - thats a guy I wouldnt want to be on the wrong side of heh heh
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
joe

Post by joe »

Results for the Open Trails and the Open World Championship have been posted. Current results and tomorrow's heat assignments are listed. Formatting is a little rough right now. Age divisions should be up-to-date by tomorrow evening.
Contest Results

Tons of photos have been taken and should be showing up in the World Titles Photo Album soon.
2007 World Titles Photo Album [/url]