Idea: Fundraiser to send CA groms to Phillip Island!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

mutiny
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by mutiny »

Martin I gotta say I know that sending your kid out into the world is a tough thing but ya gotta let go sometime, I got three of them myself 17, 14 and 6,

your concern about sending teens to Oz and staying with someone you dont know.. i would say do you feel that you are a positive role model? would you trust someone like yourself? would you host an australian kid for a contest in the USA? my guess is that you would
I've met you and your son briefly,
I know I would let my son stay with you if you offered a place to stay.
Just the positive experience of the santa cruz worlds and the people I met there involved would make me feel at ease in letting my teenagers go to OZ.
I've been to OZ a number of times, first time as a teen, henry and terry put me up for 6 months! lent me thier car until I bought one. As Smokin Rock said australians hospitality is legendary! Reciprocally I put them up when they came out to the states. one of the them I still talk with, friends for life 8)
I sense nothing but positive vibes with this :D
tom
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Parents are different and kids are different. For that reason it is difficult and often times incorrect to make generalizations as to the correct action.

Speaking as a parent for my child and no other, I would be stoked to see my son go on his own. I think it would help him learn how to become more self sufficient and learn how to deal with new people in strange settings.

I also have faith that the Aussies will not take thier responsibilities as to our children lightly/ And that they will be as careful with our kids as we would be with theirs.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

My kids are now 19 and 16 and although we tried to say "Yes" as much as we could over the years there were times we had to say "No". Many of the times we really didn't have a "good reason" which was frustrating to the kids but the bottom line was if my wife or I didn't feel right about it we couldn't let it happen. Many parents know this feeling and we just do what we feel is needed, and sleep good at night.

This has happened quite fast and is encouraging but there's time to "plan for the future" as well. One might ask what would be the ideal for kneeboarding groms in the US or elsewhere in the kneeriding world, or for kneeriding in 5 or 10 years in general...and how to get there. With this enthusiasm we can invest in the groms now and in the future and help to get closer to that goal. That investment, of course, can manifest in any number of ways.

Like Mike, I've now been to AUS :D 8) Adding that to my experience meeting new friends in Santa Cruz I have only positive feelings about what the future holds for kneeriding, young and old.

Brad
TheKid
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by TheKid »

I'm real stoked about this trip.

I like beer.
I like drinking with friends
I dont steal other's beer;
I will bring enough beer money to supply everyone ;

My schedule is wide open and I wont bring any annoying parents.

Most women find me a real cute grom, unfortunately I'm
a great opener but a bad closer.....this frequently is an assist to my friends.:wink:
I am also easy prey for practical jokes...never had a practical joke pulled on me that I didnt like.

I can be goaded into paddling out into almost any conditions and like it!

However, if I won the trip I'd like to hook up with a sugar mama who will keep me in beer, dont mind how much I surf and keep me from returning to America to my parents.
I am your ideal candidate boyz.

TheKid :wink:
fooj

Post by fooj »

Nice piece of sockpuppetry.
bongbong
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Will someone let me know how I can get a check for the groms to Phillips Island? Do I send it to Mark Robertson?
albert

Post by albert »

Mark Ramirez wrote:Will someone let me know how I can get a check for the groms to Phillips Island? Do I send it to Mark Robertson?
Yes,

I believe Jack put up Mark's address in one of the previous posts.
Jack Beresford

grom fund

Post by Jack Beresford »

OK - in just a week we've raised at least $1,915!!! That speaks volumes about the quality and generosity of the people who are part of the worldwide Kneebording community. Check the link below to see who's stepped up to support this effort (and that's just those who've done so online).

We've nearly raised enough to pay for one grom. Please keep it coming! Several young people - and their parents - have indicated genuine interest in going to PI if given the chance. Others may decide to wait and see for 08 - and that's totally cool too.

If, like me, you feel like you've gotten something from being part of this online community, from the renewed friendships as well as new people you've met; If you've made a few bucks selling a board online or had a good time attending a gathering or comp; even if you just dig checking the photos in the gallery once in a while - then this is an easy way to pass on the stoke to someone else.

DONATE:

http://www.active.com/donate/ksusa_grom_fund

Alternately, you can send a check payable to Kneeboard Surfing USA to:

Mark Robertson
1313 Corte Maltera
Costa mesa, CA 92626
tchaps3

Post by tchaps3 »

A lot of you dont know me but my name is taylor chapatte. I'm one of shaun's friends and have been surfing with him for a while and i also competed in worlds this year. Like shaun and sam I find it amazing how many people are contributing and i think the idea is mind blowing. It would be the experience of a life time. I dont know how or who is goi ng to be picked but it's going to be the oppertunity of a life time. One thing that i definetly agree with shaun on is that it would be cool to send a whole team. That is if we have enough qualified surfers. If we did though i would think that it would be good to split up the donations between all that are qualified. Anyone that wants to go should be willing to pay some of the cost
Taylor Chapatte
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Good thought Taylor! We should think about the grom and his family putting up some part of the cost.
DYdamo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DYdamo »

The Kid said

I like beer.
I like drinking with friends
I dont steal other's beer;
I will bring enough beer money to supply everyone ;

I Like your style young padawan,but it's not up to us Aussies :D
I'm interested in apathy
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Taylor,
strong, wise words from a young man. beware of dangling carrots. :o
when you're old enough to make decisions on your own :idea: and you'd like to visit Hawaii. look me up...i will always have some couch space and grub for a young kneeboarder looking to broaden his horizons. 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
MALLEE BULL

GROMS FOR COMPS

Post by MALLEE BULL »

GREAT IDEA,MANY HAND MAKE LIGHT WORK.
LITTLE MONEY MANY POCKETS CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN.
MAYBE THE MAIN KNEEBOARD CLUBS CAN HAVE A PROGRAM TO HELP
OUT.BRING SOME NZ GROMS FOR BENELONG ETC ETC.

MALLEE BULL
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Questions for whoever. This is something I would like to know.... Is KSUSA the main or the beginning of the online Kbering sites ?? Also, is this funraiser just for the US groms ?? I know there are alot of KBers on this site from everywhere, so why not open it up to ALL the groms ??